User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who wins?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barca 10/11

    73 96.05%
  • Liverpool 18/19

    1 1.32%
  • Bayern 19/20

    2 2.63%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 107

Thread: Pep's Barca 10/11 v Liverpool 18/19 or Bayern 19/20

  1. #16
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4,104
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to say if 2011 Barca can compete physically in 2021, but just looking at Messi I guess they could.

    Our 2019 UCL games vs Liverpool make me pretty sure prime Barca would win against them, and current Bayern looks rather headless at times. I dont believe Xavi, Messi and Iniesta wouldnt punish that.

  2. #17
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Forum D'Amigos Tactical Unit - BBZ Containment Office
    Posts
    8,833
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post

    Any impartial observer of the sport IMO should see that Bayern '20 and Liverpool '19 win against Barca '11.
    Liverpool'19 had trouble beating a Spurs side that even that declining Barca 18/19 with only Messi as the WC player destroyed.

    You really have no argument here other than 'Bayern and Liverpool sides are from 19 and 20 so they win by default because football progresses'. While football does indeed progress ON AVERAGE over time, there isn't a sufficient time gap between 2011 (i.e. it is still modern football) and the level of players that team had made it an anomaly.

  3. #18
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Forum D'Amigos Tactical Unit - BBZ Containment Office
    Posts
    8,833
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_lovin View Post
    Hard to say if 2011 Barca can compete physically in 2021, but just looking at Messi I guess they could.

    Our 2019 UCL games vs Liverpool make me pretty sure prime Barca would win against them, and current Bayern looks rather headless at times. I dont believe Xavi, Messi and Iniesta wouldnt punish that.
    We ran more than the top teams of the last year did in CL in 10-11. Xavi regularly clocked 13 KM a game. Pedro, Alves, Villa were also tireless.

  4. #19
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    26,938
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant put too much down to how close opposition came to beating teams.

    Barca were one Masch tackle away from being eliminated by a poor Arsenal side in 2011.

    Barca were the most dominant of those sides by far though.

  5. #20
    Senior Member
    Joan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    8,940
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, it's not as easy as saying this team presses, so they'll better Barca without a flinch. If it was, all teams would be out there pressing like madmen 90% of the time. Pressing is a risk in football and it presents certain opportunities which players like Iniesta, Xavi, prime Messi, and similar could take benefit of.

    Yeah, modern tempo might surprise 10/11 Barca at the beginning and catch them unprepared in the first 15 minutes or so. But football hasn't changed that much and the players possessed elite skills to compensate for it. Would be back in the game in no time.

  6. #21
    Senior Member
    Birdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,451
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilarrubi View Post
    2010/11 Barca is the best team I’ve ever seen technically, speed of thought was ridiculous. Not saying Bayern 19/20 would get battered by them, but were talking about prime Xavi, Iniesta and Busi... that’s without adding the best version of Messi to the mix. Obviously times have changed, better physicality, pressing etc but it’s only 10 years later and like someone else mentioned we were putting up high Km running numbers similar to now.

    The modern press would get nowhere near that midfield, they think too quickly. Remember the ball travels faster than players running. Would be running round like headless chickens most of game and Barca would pick them off.
    I get the legendary status of prime Xavi, prime Iniesta, and prime Messi.
    But you should try to do the thought experiment as impartially as you can.

    I think you are wrong about the 'nowhere near that midfield'. The speed of thought is relevant to the standards of that era as well.
    The maddening and intense, relentless pressing nowadays is not that headless in top teams. They intimidate the opposition by overwhelming them.
    Think about Barca's build up back then:I can't think of single game Pique Puyol and Busi were man marked close to their goal and their passing lanes were cut off or potentially cut off by pressers who would aggressively step up to win any ball played.
    It was plainly not a thing back then, it started appearing after Klopp's Dortmund.

    Plus on the opposite end: Watch the clip again from the Barca - Sevilla from 2010, and see what Sevilla was doing every time 3-4 Barca players were close to them.
    Their reactions were hilarious for nowadays, you would not see that even in mid-table sides and that was the 4th top team in Spain back then.
    1992

  7. #22
    Senior Member
    Birdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,451
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingLeo10 View Post
    You really have no argument here other than 'Bayern and Liverpool sides are from 19 and 20 so they win by default because football progresses'. While football does indeed progress ON AVERAGE over time, there isn't a sufficient time gap between 2011 (i.e. it is still modern football) and the level of players that team had made it an anomaly.
    I am explaining why Barca would lose against them. Care to read it...

    And yes, 10 years is not that much time, but those 10 years between 2010 and 2020 football has changed so drastically that it had never before in a span of 10 years.
    Many factors contributed to that: pep's revolution started it and the need of teams to find answers created new dynamics which eventually crowned intensity and pressing as no1 requirement around 2020
    1992

  8. #23
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Forum D'Amigos Tactical Unit - BBZ Containment Office
    Posts
    8,833
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    I get the legendary status of prime Xavi, prime Iniesta, and prime Messi.
    But you should try to do the thought experiment as impartially as you can.

    I think you are wrong about the 'nowhere near that midfield'. The speed of thought is relevant to the standards of that era as well.
    The maddening and intense, relentless pressing nowadays is not that headless in top teams. They intimidate the opposition by overwhelming them.
    Think about Barca's build up back then:I can't think of single game Pique Puyol and Busi were man marked close to their goal and their passing lanes were cut off or potentially cut off by pressers who would aggressively step up to win any ball played.
    It was plainly not a thing back then, it started appearing after Klopp's Dortmund.

    Plus on the opposite end: Watch the clip again from the Barca - Sevilla from 2010, and see what Sevilla was doing every time 3-4 Barca players were close to them.
    Their reactions were hilarious for nowadays, you would not see that even in mid-table sides and that was the 4th top team in Spain back then.
    Pep's Bayern employed a very aggressive press against us at the Camp Nou in 14/15 and most of our core from 10/11, despite being older, dealt with it without much trouble. In fact, we ran as much (if not slightly more) than Pep's Bayern that day and counter pressed them effectively. The first goal came out of Alves harassing Bernat IIRC.

  9. #24
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Forum D'Amigos Tactical Unit - BBZ Containment Office
    Posts
    8,833
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    I am explaining why Barca would lose against them. Care to read it...

    And yes, 10 years is not that much time, but those 10 years between 2010 and 2020 football has changed so drastically that it had never before in a span of 10 years.
    Many factors contributed to that: pep's revolution started it and the need of teams to find answers created new dynamics which eventually crowned intensity and pressing as no1 requirement around 2020
    Not at the CL KO level. What's changed is lesser teams have learned from watching more elites play the Guardiola/Klopp brand of football.

  10. #25
    Senior Member
    Birdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,451
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We played totally differently in 14/15 compared to 10/11,
    and Pep's Bayern '15 pressing is not close to Flick Bayern's 2020 pressing: they were not pressing as effectively and they were making easy positional mistakes creating huge spaces for MSN, which could easily picked out by a pass from the back.
    They were still trying to find their balance as a team
    1992

  11. #26
    You're welcome
    Horatio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Hot Latinas
    Posts
    12,961
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Country: Vatican
    Agree with Birdy saying current teams would respond much better against Peps Barca.

  12. #27
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Forum D'Amigos Tactical Unit - BBZ Containment Office
    Posts
    8,833
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    We played totally differently in 14/15 compared to 10/11,
    and Pep's Bayern '15 pressing is not close to Flick Bayern's 2020 pressing: they were not pressing as effectively and they were making easy positional mistakes creating huge spaces for MSN, which could easily picked out by a pass from the back.
    They were still trying to find their balance as a team
    Care to actually back this up with evidence? Not even close? Really?

  13. #28
    Blaugrana al vent
    te amo barca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10,655
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bayern?s elite pressing let Lyon create a bunch of clear-cut chances that would see them through if Ekambi and Depay didnt choke. This Bayern is far from 2009-2011 Barca that is a top-5 team of all time.

  14. #29
    Senior Member
    Birdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,451
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingLeo10 View Post
    Care to actually back this up with evidence? Not even close? Really?
    I don't have endless free time to do a video analysis of that game. If you have a link handy I can point you some instances.
    But the pattern of that game was not really comparable to Barca's 10-11 game. Bayern was more trying to build up and Lucho's Barca was trying to disrupt them close to the halfway line and hit long balls to MSN to exploit space left behind/

    Quote Originally Posted by te amo barca View Post
    Bayern?s elite pressing let Lyon create a bunch of clear-cut chances that would see them through if Ekambi and Depay didnt choke. This Bayern is far from 2009-2011 Barca that is a top-5 team of all time.
    Never said their system is flawless. Both Lyon and PSG exploited spaces they left.
    Even horrible Barca managed to cause them enough trouble at the back.
    But their philosophy is that they will outscore you, not through control but through sheer intimidation
    1992

  15. #30
    Villarato!
    El Gato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wolfe's Den
    Posts
    11,836
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Country: Tokelau
    10/11 Barca couldn't handle David Luiz a year later. Pretty sure Henderson at CB would suffice
    Some are boring, some are not.