La Liga | Round 1: FC Barcelona - Elche 3-0

behindbrowneyes

Did we need Lenglet, Griezmann or Busquets this game at that point? Was there any reason to sub them on? No, there wasn't.
Could we rest Pedri who has started playing like exausted Rakitic circa. 2019? Yes we could.
Could we rest Messi after the 3-0? Yes we could.
Can Trincao at his age play the full 90? Yes he can.

There is simply no logical reasoning behind Koeman's selections and it shows, because the team is dead tired and he mostly insists to not even use his 5 subs most of the time.

Lenglet: Yes, because Pique has been playing 3 games in a row right after coming back from injury. He looked exhausted and Lenglet was the only CB option on the bench.
Griezmann: Not necessary.
Busquets: Changed the rhythm of the game and made things easier. We need to replace him with fresh blood, but somehow it is evident that something is missing when he is not playing. Team scored two right after he came on.
Agreed about Pedri. That Pjanic-Puig tandem didn't really work against Betis so he probably went for Pedri. Pedri needs a rest, that's what I agree on.
Messi is fighting for the Pichichi. Doubt he'll get rested, especially in games that are going well for him.
Trincao? Yes, he can. I don't understand why Koeman rarely plays with 2 wingers.

He could have brought Riqui instead of Griezmann, but it wouldn't change much as the game was already over. There has indeed been rotation yesterday with more or less 5 rotations compared to the Gala XI. Koeman doesn't seem to have much faith in his bench options, that's why he sometimes doesn't use many subs when games are tight. I'm sure he'd make more use of his subs if the team would kill off games earlier.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
Did we need Lenglet, Griezmann or Busquets this game at that point? Was there any reason to sub them on? No, there wasn't.
Could we rest Pedri who has started playing like exausted Rakitic circa. 2019? Yes we could.
Could we rest Messi after the 3-0? Yes we could.
Can Trincao at his age play the full 90? Yes he can.

There is simply no logical reasoning behind Koeman's selections and it shows, because the team is dead tired and he mostly insists to not even use his 5 subs most of the time.

I thought you were arguing how youngsters weren't given minutes.

Home of Barca Fans