How good was Thierry Henry in his Barcelona's days ?

Etoshow

Just to know the opinion of the community's members. To be fair, how would you qualify his time in the club ?

fergus90

He was world class, albeit for a shorter period.

Yup, most definitely world-class in the 08/09 season. In all the years I've followed Barca I think 08/09 was my favorite season as a fan.

I know we peaked in 2010/11 but the treble season was just special especially coming off the horrible season before and the guard of honor.

Andresito

Staff member
Mediocre 07/08, like most. World class in 08/09, declining in 09/10.

I liked him a lot.

Vilarrubi

Same as above.

Imagine if we’d got 03/04 - 05/06 version of him....

Still glad we got him when we did, club legend for sure.

khaled_a_d

Efficient player in his 1st year, world class in 2nd, and declined one in 3rd.
Overall goid purchase, he was one of his generation vest attackers and it is always cool that we had him

Etoshow

I always thought that he could perform just as he did for Arsenal if he was the key player of our system just like at Arsenal. In 2008-09, he reached back his prime. However, it was really complicated to be under the light as he was for his Arsenal days because of Eto'o and Messi. With no doubt a top 5 of the best strikers of his time alongside David Villa, Drogba, Eto'o and RVN.

BarcaOG

Banned
08 09 he was a joy to watch, pure class. loved every bit of it. he was less consistent in 09 10 but still had a few really great games

Richard.H

The trio of Henry-Eto'o-Messi in 08-09 was probably the most entertaining football spectacle I have experienced on TV. Guardiola did an amazing job converting Henry to more of a winger/striker hybrid, in the sense that if he needed to play in the middle he would and if he needed to hug the touchline he would. He also provided quite a bit of assists to Eto'o and messi IIRC. I really respect Henry for really taking a secondary role to what he was used to at Arsenal. Many footballers of his caliber would complain and go to the media but it was very respectable that he accepted Guardiola's tactics.

On a side note, that trio would score goals for fun and many times it looked way too easy for them. It was also very entertaining watching Messi still be a winger and have extremely fast acceleration. It was insane how fast he would pass defenders with his quick bursts. For me that 08-09 season is the best season I've watched as a Barca fan. Just a combination of everything: Technique, physicality, speed, and spirit.

Last edited:

BarcaOG

Banned
The trio of Henry-Eto'o-Messi in 08-09 was probably the most entertaining football spectacle I have experienced on TV. Guardiola did an amazing job converting Henry to more of a winger/striker hybrid, in the sense that if he needed to play in the middle he would and if he needed to hug the touchline he would. He also provided quite a bit of assists to Eto'o and messi IIRC.

That trio would score goals for fun and many times it looked way too easy for them. It was also very entertaining watching Messi still be a winger and have extremely fast acceleration. It was insane how fast he would pass defenders with his quick bursts. For me that 08-09 season is the best season I've watched as a Barca fan. Just a combination of everything: Technique, physicality, speed, and spirit.

and supported by xavi and iniesta. man, we were so lucky.

those CL games against Lyon and Bayern were sooooooooooooo great. eto-henry-messi absolutely on fire

KingLeo10

main-qimg-b87321d2a409a8be249d2c8c82697bb0

The amount of alpha in this team is absolutely astounding.

The amount of talent in this team is absolutely astounding.

Two GOAT tier midfielders, a GOAT tier RB, and a GOAT tier player in their prime.

Even VV was a level or two above anything else we've had at GK recently in the truly big games.

Richard.H

^^ Why that picture? Yaya Toure was infinitely better than Keita.

VV is massively underrated in that 08-09 team. He always came up BIG in important CL and La Liga matches. He was always prone to a dumb error, but you can count on him to be solid when you needed him.

KingLeo10

I would take

Henry - Eto'o - Messi

Iniesta - Xavi

Toure

Abidal - Puyol - Pique - Alves

VV

over any other 11 from any team in any club era. I think only the late 80s Milan and 16/17 RM could hang with us.

KingLeo10

^^ Why that picture? Yaya Toure was infinitely better than Keita.

VV is massively underrated in that 08-09 team. He always came up BIG in important CL and La Liga matches. He was always prone to a dumb error, but you can count on him to be solid when you needed him.

I couldn't find one with Toure in it that also had Alves and co in there.

Toure for me is the perfect DM behind Xavi and Iniesta. People forget he bossed CR7's United as a CB in the 09 final.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I would take

Henry - Eto'o - Messi

Iniesta - Xavi

Toure

Abidal - Puyol - Pique - Alves

VV

over any other 11 from any team in any club era. I think only the late 80s Milan and 16/17 RM could hang with us.

Would have love to see Real of 16/17 against this team, i dont thin that they would have a chance against us but it would be a great match.

Home of Barca Fans