How good was Thierry Henry in his Barcelona's days ?

serghei

I think they're comparable in terms of quality. Busi was a better player for our style imo, and Toure was the more complete DM with a more diverse array of skills. That goal vs Bilbao where he dribbled like Messi 3-4 dudes and smashed it in was pure Toure. Big, quick, bold, and deceivingly technical for his size.

KingLeo10

Going to have to wait years to get a team we can be proud of again. And even that isn't guaranteed (could be decades like with Pool).

The true test for post 2005 Barca fans begins now.

:crbust:

serghei

Going to have to wait years to get a team we can be proud of again. And even that isn't guaranteed (could be decades like with Pool).

The true test for post 2005 Barca fans begins now.

:crbust:

It'll happen far sooner than decades, but I guess it's better to lower your expectations for a few years and maybe get surprised.

Etoshow

Like I said most overated player

Did you ever watch him with Arsenal and Barcelona ? How many strikers of that generation do you put above ? No that many in my opinion. People tend to forget that he scored 20 goals in la Liga in 2008-2009, better than the best season of a beast like El Guaje David Villa here. I still remember his games against Sevilla, Madrid, Lyon, Bayern, Valencia... Just a pure class.

Andresito

Staff member
@KingLeo10 & @serghei

Yaya's best position wasn't even DM and he didn't hit is prime until he left us. So I think Busi is a clear winner when comparing who was the best DM in their respective Barca primes.

If we're only looking at 2008-09 when Busi was a newbie, it's a whole other discussion though, and I think it comes down to preference in different types of games.

serghei

@KingLeo10 & @serghei

Yaya's best position wasn't even DM and he didn't hit is prime until he left us. So I think Busi is a clear winner when comparing who was the best DM in their respective Barca primes.

If we're only looking at 2008-09 when Busi was a newbie, it's a whole other discussion though, and I think it comes down to preference in different types of games.

Sure, my point is Toure was very versatile because he had a great combo of both technical and physical skills. He even played CB in a CL final and did it near perfect. Not to mention his box to box days at City. Even at Barca, he had a box to box element to his game and an attacking ability that is rare for DMs.

But for the purpose of what Pep wanted from his DM, Busi fit that role better.

Etoshow

Sure, my point is Toure was very versatile because he had a great combo of both technical and physical skills. He even played CB in a CL final and did it near perfect. Not to mention his box to box days at City. Even at Barca, he had a box to box element to his game and an attacking ability that is rare for DMs.

But for the purpose of what Pep wanted from his DM, Busi fit that role better.

Sometimes I believe that Yaya could be a danger for Xavi because for the season 2008-09, he was great defensively of course, recovered a lot of balls but he could hold on the ball and break the lines when he wanted. He had a great technique and was a better dribbler than Xavi. Neverthelless he scored some nice goals like the goal in the copa's final in 2009. Yaya is underrated and when I look at the seasons he made for Man City, I think it would have been very difficult to keep him in the same team with Xavi and Iniesta.

serghei

Sometimes I believe that Yaya could be a danger for Xavi because for the season 2008-09, he was great defensively of course, recovered a lot of balls but he could hold on the ball and break the lines when he wanted. He had a great technique and was a better dribbler than Xavi. Neverthelless he scored some nice goals like the goal in the copa's final in 2009. Yaya is underrated and when I look at the seasons he made for Man City, I think it would have been very difficult to keep him in the same team with Xavi and Iniesta.

Only in the sense that Yaya probably wanted to attack more, and we had enough attackers already who ran the offense. Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Eto'o, Henry, and even later on. But he could never even get close of replacing someone like Xavi or Iniesta in the team.

Basically, Yaya wasn't as selfless as it was needed for that position and the style Pep wanted to implement, and probably this is the main reason why Pep replaced him with Busi. And in a way he was justified because he had far more offensive qualities than a player playing deep usually has.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

main-qimg-b87321d2a409a8be249d2c8c82697bb0

The amount of alpha in this team is absolutely astounding.

The amount of talent in this team is absolutely astounding.

Two GOAT tier midfielders, a GOAT tier RB, and a GOAT tier player in their prime.

Even VV was a level or two above anything else we've had at GK recently in the truly big games.

GOAT’s!

Saw this pic on Twitter, what a pic!

EswM27-XYAIwWkc

Fati_Future_BallonDor

GOAT’s!

Saw this pic on Twitter, what a pic!

EswM27-XYAIwWkc

That was the moment when everyone knew barca will win the CL. Xavi was priceless this match. It was like a warming up for the cl final 2011 for Leo when he showed one of the best individual performance i have ever seen from a player :worthy:

Home of Barca Fans