Spanish Super Cup 1/2 Final: Real Sociedad - FC Barcelona 1-1 (2-3 pen.)

serghei

It's meaningful for this team. We ain't the same we were few years ago.

It was meaningful for the other teams too. Some great games for the best Barca teams were in the Copa. 2 of the best 5 goals of Messi's career are in the Copa as well, vs Getafe and vs Bilbao. Arguably Ronaldinho's best goal in a Barca shirt (or one of at least) also in the Copa (Villareal over kick goal).

soul24rage

We're probably going to go 100% for the Sociedad game since our game goes first and if we win, we're probably going to go 100% in the final regardless if RM are there or not as it's still an official trophy.

I imagine it would be great for the likes of DJ, Pedri, Dest, Braithwaite to win their first trophy at Barcelona and should give the team confidence and hungry to do well for the rest of the season.

serghei

We're probably going to go 100% for the Sociedad game since our game goes first and if we win, we're probably going to go 100% in the final regardless if RM are there or not as it's still an official trophy.

I imagine it would be great for the likes of DJ, Pedri, Dest, Braithwaite to win their first trophy at Barcelona and should give the team confidence and hungry to do well for the rest of the season.

I'm worried though, scheduled is packed and we can't make more mistakes in the league. I'd play many squad players personally. Who knows, maybe we can still win.

We can go 100% to win even with some players who played less.

Birdy

I'm worried though, scheduled is packed and we can't make more mistakes in the league. I'd play many squad players personally. Who knows, maybe we can still win.

Final is on the 17th or so?
Then Copa game on the 21st, and League game vs Elche on the 24th.
A week is enough time for starters to get refreshed, given the Copa game will be devoted to subs and kids

serghei

Final is on the 17th or so?
Then Copa game on the 21st, and League game vs Elche on the 24th.
A week is enough time for starters to get refreshed, given the Copa game will be devoted to subs and kids

True, I'd rotate vs Sociedad and play full team in the final if we go through. I think we could beat Sociedad even with 4-5 players who played less. Maybe Puig for Pedri, Pjanic for Busi, Trincao for Dembele, and Firpo for Alba.

Sociedad game would be the 4th game in about 10 days if we go full strength right? It's best to avoid muscular injuries due to overplaying.

Last edited:

soul24rage

True, I'd rotate vs Sociedad and play full team in the final if we go through. I think we could beat Sociedad even with 4-5 players who played less. Maybe Puig for Pedri, Pjanic for Busi, Trincao for Dembele, and Firpo for Alba.

Sociedad game would be the 4th game in about 10 days if we go full strength right? It's best to avoid muscular injuries due to overplaying.

Yeah, I would personally do a mix of first team and squad players as you mentioned for the Sociedad game. But I'm guessing Koeman will not think like that.

serghei

Yeah, I would personally do a mix of first team and squad players as you mentioned for the Sociedad game. But I'm guessing Koeman will not think like that.

Well, theoretically, he is the one in the best position to know if players are tired or overworked. So, he better not make the wrong calls and end up with even more injuries.

You can't risk that tbh with CL and La Liga tough games coming up.

El Gato

Villarato!
It's meaningful for this team. We ain't the same we were few years ago.

You're not the same team you were last season or the season prior and you were in a final both times.
Meaning of the trophy isn't relative. It's always been a good trophy to compete for and an extra opportunity to test vs top domestic sides in a knockout format. It's a regular test of quality when you end up drawn against a top side. Always held a significant meaning for everyone in the league. No reason for Madrid or Barca to be cocky about it as neither have regularly won it historically. Contrary to what has been claimed by a section of fans on this board in recent past.

Andresito

Staff member
Of all the players I'd say Dest, Alba, Frenkie and Pedri are in need of rest the most.

Dembele has played 78 % of available minutes since Christmas break. So he might his minutes managed too.

I think one from each line could be rested without us dropping too much.
1. Firpo for Alba or Mingueza for Dest if Araujo is fit.
2. Puig for Pedri
3. Braithwaite/Trincao for Griezmann/Dembele.

And then make good use of the 5 subs.

serghei

Of all the players I'd say Dest, Alba, Frenkie and Pedri are in need of rest the most.

Dembele has played 78 % of available minutes since Christmas break. So he might his minutes managed too.

I think one from each line could be rested without us dropping too much.
1. Firpo for Alba or Mingueza for Dest if Araujo is fit.
2. Puig for Pedri
3. Braithwaite/Trincao for Griezmann/Dembele.

And then make good use of the 5 subs.

Sounds good.

Joan

Griezmann hasn't played that much, think it's Dembele who could use some rest. I'd go with Griezmann - Messi - Trincao.

Puig could also get to start this one.

serghei

Griezmann hasn't played that much, think it's Dembele who could use some rest. I'd go with Griezmann - Messi - Trincao.

Puig could also get to start this one.

Yea, Trincao and Puig would be fun. Pedri and Dembele were visibly tired vs Granada.

fergus90

A trophy is a trophy, we should be going for it. Koeman has a winner's mentality, no chance he gives up on it. Also, it'll be a good test to play Madrid again and assess the team's progress since the Classico. Yes it's only a Spanish Super Cup but this team could do with getting a trophy under its belt. Especially for the likes of FDJ etc who endured a difficult first season.

Not the end of the world if it doesn't happen, but it will be a good confidence booster heading into the important part of the season.

Porque

SuperSheikh last year was the start of our downfall. Could SuperChupa this year be the end of of sucking?

Home of Barca Fans