6 - Gavi

Porque

Iniesta played 54 games with Barca B, Gavi had 3.
Iniesta played 6 games in 1st season for 1st team when he was 18 (completed 19 that season) while Gavi already played 7 games at 17 and couple of months.
Iniesta dribbling is on another level than Gavi.
Midfielders takes longer to establish themselves and dominate that line, probably don't hit their prime before 25.
There is a lot to learn in lower level, to be able to establish your creativity and balance between fundamentals and flair, to balance between energetic and stupid fouls.
I do really like the kid, but he has long way to go and I honestly believe the only reason he is playing because we are just desperate.
I really fear we won't give him proper time to develop

I'm not really comparing their minutes in the B team, but how Rijkaard gave Iniesta alot of opportunities in his first seasons on the wings just to have first team opportunities. Ignoring age differences of course, and minutes in the B team which you are quite correct about.

But we might want to look at that avenue so Gavi can continue to develop in the first team when Pedri is back.

I'm not sure it is positive to move Gavi back to the B team now. He has shown competence at the first team level, not just for Barcelona but also for Spain. After starting 2 games for Spain it may do more damage than good to go back to the B team.

We may be desperate, but I am sure LE isn't.

He has no dribbling or speed to be a winger.

I don't disagree with this. But he provides good tactical competence to keep the ball in those positions, even if alot of his movements are to recycle position backwards. Also he is great defensively (who needs Cardiomann :p ). But the important part is to just keep letting him have minutes to keep growing.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

I'm not sure it is positive to move Gavi back to the B team now. He has shown competence at the first team level, not just for Barcelona but also for Spain. After starting 2 games for Spain it may do more damage than good to go back to the B team.

We may be desperate, but I am sure LE isn't.

This is exactly why I made the Bojan comparison when I said I worry about his development.
After he arrived, Pep wanted Bojan to go back to B team and the whole reaction was the same, he is already playing with 1st team, he is already scoring, he already got called up for NT etc.
And now, it seems Pep was exactly on point.

mc_lovin

I wouldn't make too much of his age, the trend goes to younger players making their breakthrough sooner and sooner (down to modern sports science?), at least that's my impression. I think it's a good idea to split game time between Pedri and Gavi.

vegitot

Honestly, very few though Bojan didn't have strong mentality when he was 17, what he was doing back then was exceptional for his age.
I think it is lack of proper development that hurt him the most.
I think Gavi worst enemy atm is the state of the team that is forcing him to skip parts of his development.
4 years from now, he would still be a young midfielder that shouldn't be asked to carry a midfield, that is how young he is.

What Bojan did at such young age is exceptional. His days at youth level, both Barca and Spain were insane. Most of his hypes come from those days.

You are right about proper development. Even Pedri has a full Segunda season at 16/17 years of age. But hard time create strong men.

serghei

I wouldn't make too much of his age, the trend goes to younger players making their breakthrough sooner and sooner (down to modern sports science?), at least that's my impression. I think it's a good idea to split game time between Pedri and Gavi.

Yea, it's fine. Mix it up. Play Puig too (before anyone jumps on my head for mentioning him lol). You don't want these youngsters to be burnt out or injured. And I don't think fans really want them to play non-stop, I remember a lot of criticism for overplaying Pedri last year.

Balance is key as usual. Not that I expect Koeman to see reason.

Last edited:

Porque

This is exactly why I made the Bojan comparison when I said I worry about his development.
After he arrived, Pep wanted Bojan to go back to B team and the whole reaction was the same, he is already playing with 1st team, he is already scoring, he already got called up for NT etc.
And now, it seems Pep was exactly on point.

It is always a risk that young players could burn out, or that potential is not linear. I think in regards to Bojan (as someone else also mentioned) the difference is mentality. Bojan had his well publicised anxiety issues. He withdrew from his Spain call-up at the same age as Gavi because of them, while Gavi gave a very good performance versus the Euro Champs in his first international game, and a good performance against the World Champs in the second game.

So to me the signals are that we shouldn't really put the breaks on and demote him as Pep wanted with Bojan as he is a) playing well and b) his mentality seems on note.

But let's see how he performs at the end of the season when opponents know his game and the expectation is that Gavi imposes his game a little more. He may be playing incredibly, or he may stagnate or get worse as Ilaix did in his briefing last year. I don't expect it to, but you never know.

Zidane82

[SPORT] | At Barca, they are convinced that Pedri and Gavi have to play together

In the club, they see them compatible and if necessary, Koeman will have to change the system to four midfielders to accommodate them

Messi983

I mean, until we get a good striker and winger, we could argue that 4-1-2-1-2 like

MATS+defense
Busi
FDJ-Pedri
Gavi
Ansu-Memphis

could be our best lineup.

serghei

I mean, until we get a good striker and winger, we could argue that 4-1-2-1-2 like

MATS+defense
Busi
FDJ-Pedri
Gavi
Ansu-Memphis

could be our best lineup.

That's like a 4-3-3 almost, with Gavi false 9. Except a more narrow one.

Raketa10

Gavi is the real deal! Anyone with eyes can see that. He should be renewed ASAP. I sincerely hope all of our youngsters will have 1 billion release clause so we won't witness another Neymar or Thiago case in the near future.

Moreover, he undoubtedly needs to be with our first team all of the time and I sincerely hope he will get as many minutes as possible. I can't believe some people here are suggesting moving him back to B team. :facepalm: Unbelievable!!! FFS he was two times in a row starter for our NT. Prospects like that are rare and have to be given minutes as much as possible. Together with Pedri and Ansu he is by far our biggest talent.

Last edited:

vegitot

It is probably me but so far Gavi hasn't show anything to play at the top of midfield or at false 9 position. These positions require player with creative ability, either passing or scoring ability.

Gavi so far is about agression and energy on the pitch.

Home of Barca Fans