6 - Gavi

Joan

Valverde was, if anything, a great judge of talent.

Araujo over Todibo was his call.
Direct promotion for Fati.
Writing off all the scrubs like Alena, Denis, Samper. Think Puig will be on the list soon.

Much better coach that acknowledgled.

JamDav1982

If gets promoted can maybe a bomb off of a Barca version of the 80s T shirts for Frankie Goes to Holllywood.

Frenkie Peaz Iliax

Horatio

You're welcome
Valverde was, if anything, a great judge of talent.

Araujo over Todibo was his call.
Direct promotion for Fati.
Writing off all the scrubs like Alena, Denis, Samper. Think Puig will be on the list soon.

Much better coach that acknowledgled.

He was. And I supported him. But he was obviously brought in with different goals ahead than Koeman. Valverde was brought in for short-term goals, get whatever prizes were left to win with the team he had. Think he only signed for one season initially and got extended with every season. Koeman was brought in to initiate the rebuild. Both did/doing well considering what was expected of them.

But agree. Valverde better than people gave him credit for.

jamrock

Gavi is the next man up, now that we as a club is finally looking forward to the future again.

Some supporters don't understand, we know.

khaled_a_d

Its not only about great talents. Its about giving chances to players.

Mingueza is not a big talent, but with him getting chances, there is hope that he can become an useful player in the future. Pedro also was not a special talent, but by getting chances he became a quality player.

Maybe if given chances, some players could have become useful squad players. Both Lucho and EV, could have given more chances to La Masia players, not wait and give chances only to special talents like Fati.

Lucho has given chances to Munir,Sandro and Samper. Counted on the 1st too significantly.
Those 3 were the best academy player at that time too.
People kept saying he criminally ignored Grimaldo, but for 5 years he has yet to have interest from big clubs. He would probably have been a bench player at best here and then gone to mediocre Liga team. That said you can make a case he could have been a good squad player here.
Same with Adama too.
EV gave chance Deulofeu early on, Denis Suarez played more than 1.1k minutes in 1st season too, gave Alena 1K minutes in his 2nd year, some minutes to Miranda until he realized he would kill the kid's career before it starts if he continued using him, gave Fati, Carles Perez & Araujo chances with 1st team during his 3rd season.
Only "special" talent was Fati.

I am not saying that EV & Lucho couldn't have done better, but people need to stop ignoring the struggle of La Masia in recent years.
We had coaches for B team who was there, looking to get results in order to be first team coaches, rather than developing our young talents. Tons of La Masia prospects leaving or mismanaged too. La Masia had some period where it seems stuck in the past too, Alena for example was never taught to have a true position in modern 433, and was developed into 10 when that position was fading away from modern game, he was never taught to be a true CM.

vegitot

Lucho has given chances to Munir,Sandro and Samper. Counted on the 1st too significantly.
Those 3 were the best academy player at that time too.
People kept saying he criminally ignored Grimaldo, but for 5 years he has yet to have interest from big clubs. He would probably have been a bench player at best here and then gone to mediocre Liga team. That said you can make a case he could have been a good squad player here.
Same with Adama too.
EV gave chance Deulofeu early on, Denis Suarez played more than 1.1k minutes in 1st season too, gave Alena 1K minutes in his 2nd year, some minutes to Miranda until he realized he would kill the kid's career before it starts if he continued using him, gave Fati, Carles Perez & Araujo chances with 1st team during his 3rd season.
Only "special" talent was Fati.

I am not saying that EV & Lucho couldn't have done better, but people need to stop ignoring the struggle of La Masia in recent years.
We had coaches for B team who was there, looking to get results in order to be first team coaches, rather than developing our young talents. Tons of La Masia prospects leaving or mismanaged too. La Masia had some period where it seems stuck in the past too, Alena for example was never taught to have a true position in modern 433, and was developed into 10 when that position was fading away from modern game, he was never taught to be a true CM.

Quality post. Whoever will be president, need to change the way of La Masia.

Joan

He was. And I supported him. But he was obviously brought in with different goals ahead than Koeman. Valverde was brought in for short-term goals, get whatever prizes were left to win with the team he had. Think he only signed for one season initially and got extended with every season. Koeman was brought in to initiate the rebuild. Both did/doing well considering what was expected of them.

But agree. Valverde better than people gave him credit for.

Yeah. Fully agreed. It's all very different now. Koeman's in charge of a generation shift in Barca. He's getting rid of old legs and looks for talent to work with. In my opinion, he's very well suited for the job. Phenomenal career only a few can compete with, great character, authority, flexibility, perseverance. Less pressure to win titles than usual. Very happy with that.

I was referring to the point which would go along the lines: la Masia's productivity in recent years has been hinderend by Valverde's conservativism. Think that's bollocks. Both due to the nature of the academy and to Valverde being a great judge of talent.

Joan

Ilaix, Mingueza, Araujo (B team signing), and Fati are all different than usual Barca dna players. And they're the last ones to come from youth ranks.

It's not as easy as saying La Masia needs to change. The next president needs to do a thorough analysis and see which areas needs to be improved.

khaled_a_d

Change the way of developing players. Instead of praying for next Messi, next Xavi, next Iniesta... and teaching them to be so one dimensional.

I think we have changed, but those changes takes time and it seems now we are getting results of this change.
I have persistently saying on this forum, that playing in 3rd division is critical for B team, and so far it seems I am right.
Having a development coach for B team like Piementa is also helpful, rather than giving the job for another Gerard Lopez who wants to use the team as a step to make a case for himself as future first team coach.
Who knows, maybe at the end Pep Segura has helped the academy more than we think. :lol:

JamDav1982

Change the way of developing players. Instead of praying for next Messi, next Xavi, next Iniesta... and teaching them to be so one dimensional.

I think that has happened a bit.

Ilaix, Fati, Mingueza all been brought through as have physical tools and not another over coached, technically nice player that has been coached to point of blandness in a system.

Assuming that is the case not much needs to change.

Said it before but feels like one of biggest mistakes La Masia has had in recent years is believing it created Xavi and Iniesta and trying to replicate them from playing style to humbleness.

Home of Barca Fans