6 - Gavi

Birdy

Nico gives me not so great vibes.

But Gavi, Pedri, Frenkie, and if we find another midfielder who can score goals, someone in the 23-26 years old range... that midfield looks tasty.

Yep, Nico is not even close to the level of the others

So far looks like a poor man's Busi, without his intelligence but with all his flaws in running, defending, and playing with intensity

serghei

Nico needs to start with a clean slate and fix his physique, ideally in Barca B or out on loan. The coaches have kept adding pounds to him since Juvenil days and he went from a lanky lean kid to being nearly 90kg and looking like he's barely able to move. I firmly believe that's a big reason why he looks so poor, he's just really bad physically. (and by that I do not mean he's not strong, I mean he's slow, inagile, can't jump and can't change direction).

Certainly gives the impression of a heavy slow-turn player.

JamDav1982

Nico is another one that if they dont think he is ready for squad place now they need to loan him out to as high a level as possible for him to try and learn the pace of the 'mans' game.

A season of him in B team at that low a level where already looks too good would be pointless.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Nico need to do better, but he should also get a chance to play as a lone CDM where he's had his success and resurgence for Barca B instead of having Busquets strolling around beside him.

No guarantee he works out either way, but that would be a fair shot at least. Not dynamic enough to play as a CM or higher up the field.

ajnotkeith

Nico is another one that if they dont think he is ready for squad place now they need to loan him out to as high a level as possible for him to try and learn the pace of the 'mans' game.

A season of him in B team at that low a level where already looks too good would be pointless.

I like the idea of a loan. Put him in a serious first-division team where they won't let you play until you are at a good level of fitness and he'll quickly trim down.

JamDav1982

I like the idea of a loan. Put him in a serious first-division team where they won't let you play until you are at a good level of fitness and he'll quickly trim down.

You are putting too much on his size and fitness.

Most likely that is him and the size he will be. It is about him adjusting to higher level within that more than trimming down.

He is not as slow as is being made out either just seems to get caught on ball a bit too much at moment and caught out by lack of space will get.

jamrock

His size isn't the defining factor plenty of footballers are bigger than him & successful, he just needs to adapt to a higher level & grow into feeling comfortable in his body, then we will see if he has what it takes to make it.

Last edited:

ajnotkeith

Every footballer has their optimal weight, the balance of speed and quickness and strength and power.

Not everyone is a Lukaku and can weigh 90kg and be lightning quick. Those are rare physical specimens.

Size obv won't be the defining factor of his career but when I look at him that is the improvement I can instantly see that needs to be made. His change of direction and agility is incredibly poor and no doubt being 6'1 and 87kg will hinder you massively if you aren't an amazing athlete.

Look at Gavi and why he is getting so many plaudits for his performances so far, and it all comes back to him running for 90 and putting grit and hard work into his play. Nico couldn't be bothered to sprint back after losing the ball, and being caught out of position on a 3v2 counterattack. If you're a stationary and slow DM you need to make that up with great passing, vision and effectiveness as an outlet which he has not shown either so far.

Last edited:

Zidane82

Yep, Nico is not even close to the level of the others

So far looks like a poor man's Busi, without his intelligence but with all his flaws in running, defending, and playing with intensity

He is the closest thing around to Busqs and he will learn all the time . Hes a kid after all

JamDav1982

Every footballer has their optimal weight, the balance of speed and quickness and strength and power.

Not everyone is a Lukaku and can weigh 90kg and be lightning quick. Those are rare physical specimens.

Size obv won't be the defining factor of his career but when I look at him that is the improvement I can instantly see that needs to be made. His change of direction and agility is incredibly poor and no doubt being 6'1 and 87kg will hinder you massively if you aren't an amazing athlete.

Look at Gavi and why he is getting so many plaudits for his performances so far, and it all comes back to him running for 90 and putting grit and hard work into his play. Nico couldn't be bothered to sprint back after losing the ball, and being caught out of position on a 3v2 counterattack. If you're a stationary and slow DM you need to make that up with great passing, vision and effectiveness as an outlet which he has not shown either so far.

Dont agree that he needs to slim down or it would do him all that much good. He will need to try and develop with what he is at moment.

khaled_a_d

Pretty physical for a La Masia player too.

La Masia has put a lot of emphasis on physicality since Pep Segura joined us tbh.
Other than Puig, most of our players are pretty strong or fairly athletic.
Alena, Fati, Moriba, Nico & Gavi were all strong for their age, some physical players were signed for Barca B like Araujo

Horatio

You're welcome
La Masia has put a lot of emphasis on physicality since Pep Segura joined us tbh.
Other than Puig, most of our players are pretty strong or fairly athletic.
Alena, Fati, Moriba, Nico & Gavi were all strong for their age, some physical players were signed for Barca B like Araujo
[MENTION=29755]Bobo32[/MENTION] discuss...

vegitot

His best impression till now is his aggression and energy. He can be a box to box midfielder, quite rare for Masia. Although you can say youth talent usually play with aggression, it is easier to impress by that energy.

Is he the best midfielder talent from Masia since Thiago?

Home of Barca Fans