6 - Gavi

TheStig

If 3 of the 4 super talented midfielders become starters we win long term. I think at least 3 will! FDJ, Nico, Pedri and Gavi

Bobo32

For me regarding him:

elite skills:
- movement and positional awareness
- first touch
- close ball control
- stamina and energy

good skills:
- short-range passing
- speed and acceleration
- through balls
- defensive contribution

weak points:
- long-range passing, switches of play could be improved especially
- shooting (hard to see how weak it is because he avoids shooting)

Pretty good list tbqh, I agree with most of it. But I think I'm only able to assess strengths, the weaknesses are more to do with simple style or even form (we only saw him play for half a year)

- too afraid to make the final ball
- too often sloppy with the final ball or dribble when he attempts it
- when he dribbles it is too often pre-planned flicks, so he isn't able to switch idea mid-movement quite like Messi or Iniesta
- way too aggressive and sloppy going into tackles
- also a bit too weak, he is too often dispossesed without getting the FK

These are minor things and only reasons he is not the best midfielder in the world already, I think he will develop them with only time and then he will be there. He is much better and more promising than Pedri last year to my eye, and when he plays it makes me forget about Puig being missed. As I know someone will post something about me and Puig, I'll say that at least Puig seems to have a very good shot, and he has some more length to his passes. He has the same problem with decision making, but on the other side as he tries too often, but I think Xavi will focus a lot on both players reaching a good balance there.

Bobo32

Given up on Riqui?

lol even that post forced that reply
I think Riqui as a false 9 could be good! Or any number of other switches making more of these brilliant midfielders able to play. I am fine with Puig just sharing minutes with Gavi too if it is the best balance for the midfield Xavi wants, Gavi needs rest.
The big change I expect is that if I say that Puig played well in a game, he will continue to have as much or more time the next game under Xavi, contrary to under Koeman. I have not given up on him at all.

Porque

Pretty good list tbqh, I agree with most of it. But I think I'm only able to assess strengths, the weaknesses are more to do with simple style or even form (we only saw him play for half a year)

- too afraid to make the final ball
- too often sloppy with the final ball or dribble when he attempts it
- when he dribbles it is too often pre-planned flicks, so he isn't able to switch idea mid-movement quite like Messi or Iniesta
- way too aggressive and sloppy going into tackles
- also a bit too weak, he is too often dispossesed without getting the FK

These are minor things and only reasons he is not the best midfielder in the world already, I think he will develop them with only time and then he will be there. He is much better and more promising than Pedri last year to my eye, and when he plays it makes me forget about Puig being missed. As I know someone will post something about me and Puig, I'll say that at least Puig seems to have a very good shot, and he has some more length to his passes. He has the same problem with decision making, but on the other side as he tries too often, but I think Xavi will focus a lot on both players reaching a good balance there.

Agreed. I was saying earlier in person just how great the impact of Gavi is considering he didn't have a season of experience in Segunda and a season of LaLiga which Pedri had before the Euro. I am happy to see he has won you over as I recall you didn't rate him too highly in the Juvenil Copa games at the end of last season.

I like Gavi more, and I think this goes back to what we were discussing earlier this year (or last year) with Pedri. That he does not occupy and move to the spaces the way we have been condition to see during the golden era of Xavi-Iniesta. Gavi has a much better natural sense of where to go and where to be, although to be fair to Pedri he was much better positionally for Spain than Barcelona. Which suggests a chunk of this is coaches influence and instructions, reason why I am excited to see how and how our young quartet can excel under Xavi.

Bobo32

Agreed. I was saying earlier in person just how great the impact of Gavi is considering he didn't have a season of experience in Segunda and a season of LaLiga which Pedri had before the Euro. I am happy to see he has won you over as I recall you didn't rate him too highly in the Juvenil Copa games at the end of last season.

I like Gavi more, and I think this goes back to what we were discussing earlier this year (or last year) with Pedri. That he does not occupy and move to the spaces the way we have been condition to see during the golden era of Xavi-Iniesta. Gavi has a much better natural sense of where to go and where to be, although to be fair to Pedri he was much better positionally for Spain than Barcelona. Which suggests a chunk of this is coaches influence and instructions, reason why I am excited to see how and how our young quartet can excel under Xavi.

Yeah I agree completely here.
But I wouldn't say I wasn't rating him, I was more a bit surprised that he couldn't influence those games a bit more... I wasn't counting him out or very disappointed, just that those games didn't impress me very much, although his talent was obvious.
Some players are like that, they play their own way whether it is a youth copa game as the big star or a NL semifinal as a rookie. All the more impressive to be that great with adults immediately when he is a bit weak physically still.

Yeah it is his sense for positioning that really screams at me when I watch, his technique is also wonderful and his sense for tempo when dribbling, he had a couple of wonderful actions lately where he flicked the ball into space at the perfect moment, almost like Maradona or Messi.

Here is his game yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkxdk8jgcXg

Messi983

Is his brother a footballer too?

FESwL8eXIAApv8R

Home of Barca Fans