6 - Gavi

TheStig

Could be. I know the hype is big now but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a better career than Pedri. Would love to see Gavi-FDJ-Pedri midfield but it's impossible because grandpa Busi has to play. Long term they could play together if one of Gavi or FDJ can play DM.

Andresito

Staff member
I just hope his creative side doesn't fade away. Pedri has become a lot more well rounded at the expense of his flair being reduced.

We now know what we'll get of Pedri, but I can't remember him being MOTM (like he was against Juve) in a long time now.

Gavi needs to be curbed to an extent. He has A LOT of energy that needs to be managed over not only a game but over a full season.

Bobo32

[MENTION=29755]Bobo32[/MENTION] discuss...

I just wrote something somewhere about that, it's hard for me to understand how someone could say that - at the same time - Alena, Moriba, Nico and Gavi are physical whereas Puig is not.
Moriba is very slow to turn and to react, Nico is the same, Alena has no top speed and just seems a bit mediocre overall physically.
Gavi and Puig are both very quick and agile, but I'd say Puig is slightly quicker. They are both small and weak, but it shows a lot more with Gavi.

serghei

:lol: Gavi is stronger than Puig and about as quick. Just a better-built footballer from a physical standpoint, his superiority is evident. Puig is a good passer, good dribbler, and agile / quick, our passes go quicker when he's on and we spend less time aimlessly passing the ball sideways because he is a direct player who often looks to play difficult passes between the lines (he connects those difficult passes with surprising cadence for a player that is lacking consistent game time). He also doesn't lack confidence.

Gavi looks the better package, more complete midfielder. Puig is an impact sub, but should be getting quite some minutes in this role. More than the bums Koeman loves and starts often that's for sure.

Last edited:

Bobo32

:lol: Gavi is stronger than Puig and about as quick. Just a better-built footballer from a physical standpoint, his superiority is evident. Puig is a good passer, good dribbler, and agile / quick, our passes go quicker when he's on and we spend less time aimlessly passing the ball sideways because he is a direct player who often looks to play difficult passes between the lines (he connects those difficult passes with surprising cadence for a player that is lacking consistent game time). He also doesn't lack confidence.

Gavi looks the better package, more complete midfielder. Puig is an impact sub, but should be getting quite some minutes in this role. More than the bums Koeman loves and starts often that's for sure.

Why are you laughing?
I just said Gavi is about as quick but Puig is probably slightly quicker. Just like you did.
Gavi is obviously a lot weaker, or having problems with his balance, he gets thrown around in challenges whereas Puig does not.
Gavi throws himself into a lot of challenges though, often unnecessarily and without timing, he should fix this or he'll have to rest every five games.

The stuff about passing and style wasn't being discussed, and Puig being an impact sub is completely Koemans decision.

FinBarcelonafan

I just hope his creative side doesn't fade away. Pedri has become a lot more well rounded at the expense of his flair being reduced.

We now know what we'll get of Pedri, but I can't remember him being MOTM (like he was against Juve) in a long time now.

Gavi needs to be curbed to an extent. He has A LOT of energy that needs to be managed over not only a game but over a full season.

I thought he was our best player vs Benfica. Only one who made something happen. Especially the first thirty minutes.

serghei

How can Gavi be a lot weaker? He goes in hard in duels and players are bouncing off him. He's really well built with a low center of gravity like a Verratti, or a Kante. This is why he's much better defensively than players like Puig.

Bobo32

How can Gavi be a lot weaker? He goes in hard in duels and players are bouncing off him. He's really well built with a low center of gravity like a Verratti, or a Kante.

I have pointed this out when it happened, and will have to continue to do so I guess. It's fine, he's 17, and I don't think it's that important anyway, he often gets a free kick.
That he goes in hard in duels says nothing about strength, and it isn't really that great so far, even though some of the "fans" like to see it.

vegitot

U21 Macedonia or similiar team bullied Puig for fun. Gavi is way stronger and faster than this 50kg kid.

Messi983

Could be. I know the hype is big now but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a better career than Pedri. Would love to see Gavi-FDJ-Pedri midfield but it's impossible because grandpa Busi has to play. Long term they could play together if one of Gavi or FDJ can play DM.

Gavi wouldn't work as DM imo, FDJ can surely play there though.

It might be unpopular (given our experience with that system and fans's preference for 4-3-3) but I think 4-2-3-1 could benefit/made the best use out of FDJ, Pedri and Gavi longterm. We'll obviously need to see if goals will translate from youth to senior football but Gavi was scoring quite a lot IIRC so keeping him closer to the goal could be a good decision. Frenkie and Pedri are both midfield workhorses who can play multiple roles. FDJ can drop back to help in the buildup but also get forward as a box to box midfielder with Pedri (while not being a DM) being dependable and responsible enough defensively to cover for him when that happens. Pedri can play as a "10" if Gavi would drop deeper or even be utilised as a winger temporarily if/when Ansu would move more centrally. And Gavi is also hard working so wouldn't be a liability defensively as well if played further up the pitch. He can also press quite well as it was also evident a few times last night so that's another bonus. We'd have a lot of flexibility with those players if we'd only find a coach who would know how to use them.

Ofc for that system (or any system really) to work we'd also need better movement upfront so a winger and a striker/or two wingers (depending on where we see Fati's longterm future) are needed. Even with current team once everyone is back and in full form something like

FDJ-Pedri
Dembele-Gavi-Ansu
Memphis

could work though. Ansu and Memphis are clearly interchangable upfront but for now I'd prefer to play Fati as a winger to spare him some knocks received from opponents CBs during the games. But when fully recovered he can also play as a #9 as he's the best finisher in current team. Unless something unexpected happens and Aguero will find his form from 3-4 years ago when back but won't hold my breath for that.

It would be an improvement having three midfielders with fresher legs who can still run over starting Busi but I still think we should get another profile of midifelder to the team who would add more physicality and could be used in tougher games. Similar to how Pep had Keita playing important role despite having three best midfielders in the world.

I always believed when building a team (which we're doing now) you should look to have different profiles of players in your squad not having 2/3 or 5/6 players who are all doing the same things good but clearly lack in some other areas. You should have players with different attributes/skill sets and then a coach who would know their strengths and weaknesses (a good coach should know his own players first before bothering about opponents) to know how and which (combinations of) players to use in different situations. Ofc it's easier to say in theory than do it in reality but if we want to get back on top again these are imporant things imo.

Why do they write his name as Gavira on livescore lineups?

It's his last name.

His full name is Pablo Martin Paez Gavira.

Raketa10

Unbelievable talent! Pedri-FDJ-Gavi could be a superb midfield for the next decade. I agree that one physical midfielder should added to them but the skeleton of the team is more than great. Problem is that we have a clown manager who doesn't know how to use those highly talented players properly. I am not affraid for our future but we desperately need a manager who can continue to develop those youngsters. In contrast, with someone like Koeman, they will all stop developing just like FDJ did during the last two seasons.

Home of Barca Fans