6 - Gavi

serghei

Lmao talents like Samper, Alena. High quality??? More like low quality.

The point is it's a bit hard to develop talents in the first team with conservative managers who are thinking only short-term, as Valverde admitted himself.

Surprise-surprise, as soon as we commit to a rebuild and one can't be postponed anymore, the talents magically appear...

JamDav1982

The point is it's a bit hard to develop talents in the first team with conservative managers who are thinking only short-term, as Valverde admitted himself.

Surprise-surprise, as soon as we commit to a rebuild and one can't be postponed anymore, the talents magically appear...

What talents did EV ignore?

The one that came through in Fati he played.

Nonsense to make out these players were waiting or players of similar standard under EV were being ignored.

vegitot

They can not even excel in other teams or play for their national teams. All end up in nowhere.
The talents magically appear??? Fati is a foward and already played under EV. Pedri is from Las Pasmas. Araujo is a defender, also not from Masia. Dest from Ajax. Minguenza is a defender.
Who is high quality midfielder from Masia here??? Don't tell me Puig or Moriba. Neither are squad level yet, let a lone high quality midfielder.

khaled_a_d

Why do you think some of us hated EV? :lol:

EV had only 2 years.
Since Thiago, who was was promoted decade ago, only S.Roberto had made a mark in 1st team from La Masia, and he was mostly RB.
Players who left La Masia and had decent career on the mean time has names like Icardi, Adama, Bellerin, Keita Balde, maybe Munir too.
Even current generation, Fati looks like the best of them, Eric Garcia has potential (personally I am not a fan).

There was a time it felt that way with Xavi, Iniesta & Cesc. Busquets too if you consider him truly a la masia product.
But even then, we produced Puyol,Pique, Valdes,Messi & Pedro

Edit: forgot about Alba, he was originally from La Masia too

Last edited:

Catta

Its not only about great talents. Its about giving chances to players.

Mingueza is not a big talent, but with him getting chances, there is hope that he can become an useful player in the future. Pedro also was not a special talent, but by getting chances he became a quality player.

Maybe if given chances, some players could have become useful squad players. Both Lucho and EV, could have given more chances to La Masia players, not wait and give chances only to special talents like Fati.

JamDav1982

Mingueza is not a big talent, but with him getting chances, there is hope that he can become an useful player in the future. Pedro also was not a special talent, but by getting chances he became a quality player.

Maybe if given chances, some players could have become useful squad players. Both Lucho and EV, could have given more chances to La Masia players, not wait and give chances only to special talents like Fati.

It is about players getting chances that deserve it.

Pedro got a chance because Pep thought he deserved it and had worked with him previously.

No Barca coach brings up players just to give them chances in hope they develop. Pep never did. No one is arguing has to be 'great talents' either and what fans think of as great talents is often not reflected in how club feel about players either.

Bobo32

EV had only 2 years.
Since Thiago, who was was promoted decade ago, only S.Roberto had made a mark in 1st team from La Masia, and he was mostly RB.
Players who left La Masia and had decent career on the mean time has names like Icardi, Adama, Bellerin, Keita Balde, maybe Munir too.
Even current generation, Fati looks like the best of them, Eric Garcia has potential (personally I am not a fan).

There was a time it felt that way with Xavi, Iniesta & Cesc. Busquets too if you consider him truly a la masia product.
But even then, we produced Puyol,Pique, Valdes,Messi & Pedro

Edit: forgot about Alba, he was originally from La Masia too
Busquets and Pedro never were extraordinarily hyped players. Without Pep, we wouldn't know about them, we'd maybe see Pedro in some game for Malaga and wonder if it was that guy Pedrito who used to play in the preseasons... I think there must've been players after them that could've succeeded given the chance, that I never got to see, because the managers decided to go for Rakitic or Vidal or Paulinho...

I don't know what Samper could've become under someone like Pep. I don't know how he plays in Japan. Players like Suarez, Alena, Rafinha were given the chance and proved they were good enough to be squad players, but obviously not Xavi/Iniesta level.
Xavi-Iniesta-Fabregas-Busquets-Thiago-Puig: these are the La Masia cracks I've seen come through as midfielders for Barcelona. Then JdS and Sergi Roberto could become good squad players, just as the four I listed above, but I never saw the great potential in them. I think it's a pretty steady stream of talent - a trio of Busquets/Puig/Thiago would be world class today. (Ilaix)-Orellana-Gavi seems promising as well for the future, so La Masia delivers. Dani Olmo is apparently CL level as well...

And on other positions you forgot to mention some names as well, a few side backs for example.

vegitot

We are talking about high quality midfielders from Masia in recent years though.

JamDav1982

Busquets and Pedro never were extraordinarily hyped players. Without Pep, we wouldn't know about them, we'd maybe see Pedro in some game for Malaga and wonder if it was that guy Pedrito who used to play in the preseasons... I think there must've been players after them that could've succeeded given the chance, that I never got to see, because the managers decided to go for Rakitic or Vidal or Paulinho...

I don't know what Samper could've become under someone like Pep. I don't know how he plays in Japan. Players like Suarez, Alena, Rafinha were given the chance and proved they were good enough to be squad players, but obviously not Xavi/Iniesta level.
Xavi-Iniesta-Fabregas-Busquets-Thiago-Puig: these are the La Masia cracks I've seen come through as midfielders for Barcelona. Then JdS and Sergi Roberto could become good squad players, just as the four I listed above, but I never saw the great potential in them. I think it's a pretty steady stream of talent - a trio of Busquets/Puig/Thiago would be world class today. (Ilaix)-Orellana-Gavi seems promising as well for the future, so La Masia delivers. Dani Olmo is apparently CL level as well...

And on other positions you forgot to mention some names as well, a few side backs for example.

A trio of Busquets, Thiago and Puig would get destroyed by top teams.

More ramblings.

vegitot

Moriba is better than Puig, case closed lol.

Home of Barca Fans