User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 89

Thread: We have sunk like the titanic

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    4,025
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Country: Romania
    have we moved away from 'CL KO wins or bust' already? i thought ligas are for wiping your ass with.

  2. #62
    Valverde Cultist
    Messigician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    8,828
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump because this...


    Excellent article here from the The Athletic https://theathletic.co.uk/2689613/2....uery=barcalona

    It's behind a paywall so for those that can't see the highlights are:

    With sales of players like Firpo and Todibo they have raised 26.5M that's about 10% of what they need so far.
    Pique has agreed to defer some of his salary to future seasons to help them through this one, they hope Busquets and Alba will do the same
    A huge part of problem is the amortisation of previous bug money signings

    The starkness of Barca?s situation can be seen from how dramatically their permitted squad limit cost has fallen. Back in 2019-20, they had the largest salary cap in La Liga at ?671m. Last year it was ?347m. The total for the new season has not yet been confirmed, but Catalan radio reported on Monday night that it will be in the region of ?160m.

    That means that the club would only be able to spend about 25 per cent of the total they had available just two seasons ago on salaries and transfer fees during 2021-22.

    The amortisation of players signed by the previous board alone adds up to ?144m already accounted for in the books for the coming season ? including ?20m for Philippe Coutinho, ?27m for Antoine Griezmann and ?24m for Ousmane Dembele.
    Messi and Barca seem to have reached a deal for him to stay but it can not be announced as they can not register him under the current problems
    They can not register any of Depay, Aguero, Garcia and Royal without clearing 200M
    Messi is on top of that, so even if he took a 90% paycut they currently cannot register him
    There is talk of deferring his salary as well and guaranteeing him a massively well paid ambassadors job at the club in the future, but there are tx issues with this and Messi is nervous of the Spanish tax system for obvious reasons.
    Whoever stays or leaves, Messi will likely also have to take a huge pay cut ? maybe even something like 80 or 90 per cent ? to stay at Barca. The club are looking at ways of making this up to him ? such as deferring payment into the future, or guaranteeing him a well-paid ambassador role after his playing career is over. There are however serious tax implications for all these potential solutions, and Messi and his family have learned from experience not to cut corners with the Spanish tax man.
    Barca are fecked and really really fecked, Bartomeu has a lot to answer for, he has bankrupted the club, this could see them go under and so far LaLiga is sticking to it's guns, Preisdent of the league Javier Tebas is holding firm

    ?Barca are currently exceeding their salary cap,? Tebas said recently. ?I hope they can include Messi?s wages, but to do so, they will have to cut somewhere else. We cannot make one rule for Messi, another for Haaland??

    He also pointed out that La Liga has survived the losses of Neymar and Cristiano Ronaldo in recent years without hurting its sponsorship or broadcasting deals.
    We know about the debts reported to be 1.4 Billion, how do Barca get out of this. Either the league caves in, which seems very unlikely, they end contracts with half their first team or they just go bust

  3. #63
    Valverde Cultist
    Messigician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    8,828
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They paid close to a quarter million for Griezmann and Dembele and those two idiots just cost them sponsorship revenue as well. Paid a fortune for Coutinho, loaned him to Bayern and watched him score against them in the champions league. The sabotage Bartomeu committed at that club is criminal incompetence.

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    ronniecro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,354
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    370m+salaries+add ons on dembele,greaseman and coutinho....

  5. #65
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,601
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronniecro View Post
    370m+salaries+add ons on dembele,greaseman and coutinho....
    Wasn't it 420m?

  6. #66
    Valverde Cultist
    Messigician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    8,828
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pep stikes back

    Did Pep Guardiola just get involved?

    Guardiola said in an interview with Catalan media on Monday that, ?Senor Tebas thinks he knows better than everyone, but he should learn from the Premier League and allow team owners to invest more money in their clubs.?

    Tebas quickly hit back via Twitter, and began an exchange of financial information and graphics, which also drew in renowned Catalan economist and friend of the Guardiolas Xavier Sala-i-Martin.

  7. #67
    6racies Xavi
    messi2140's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    8,073
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pep of all people. The man who gets to spend 150M on defenders every season.
    Maybe you guys dont believe me but even with 72 years I have a body from a 39 years old man, in my mind I am 22. When people try to guess my age they say 35 , 40 or something. Last week a girl said 29!!!.

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    khaled_a_d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cairo
    Posts
    12,944
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by messi2140 View Post
    Pep of all people. The man who gets to spend 150M on defenders every season.
    I mean, that is his point.
    If someone willing to spend on his team then he should be able to do so

  9. #69
    6racies Xavi
    messi2140's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    8,073
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khaled_a_d View Post
    I mean, that is his point.
    If someone willing to spend on his team then he should be able to do so
    Maybe that's his point , still find it hilarious.
    Maybe you guys dont believe me but even with 72 years I have a body from a 39 years old man, in my mind I am 22. When people try to guess my age they say 35 , 40 or something. Last week a girl said 29!!!.

  10. #70
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Forum D'Amigos Tactical Unit - BBZ Containment Office
    Posts
    8,855
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Can someone edit this picture with BBZ as the captain and Messigician as the protege next to him?

    So I can post it in every thread like this.

  11. #71
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,647
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bartomeu Jesus Christ, oh yea & his board.

  12. #72
    Senior Member
    Mateka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    869
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by messi2140 View Post
    Pep of all people. The man who gets to spend 150M on defenders every season.
    Which is fine. If a business wants to invest in themselves, they should be allowed to do so. If you are spending your money and not taking the club into bankruptcy, there is nothing wrong. I am pleased that Tebas is being challenged.

  13. #73
    Culé de Celestial Empire
    Luftstalag14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    19,482
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateka View Post
    Which is fine. If a business wants to invest in themselves, they should be allowed to do so. If you are spending your money and not taking the club into bankruptcy, there is nothing wrong. I am pleased that Tebas is being challenged.
    I too find Tebas' salary cap demand unreasonable but the merits of a salary cap are not bad or wrong in principle, just like what the FFP sought to do:

    (1) Creating a level playing field so those that are ultra rich and have much more resources than other clubs (PSG and City etc.) don't outspend others and distort the market and disrupt the competition.
    (2) Helping ensure the financial well-being of clubs. It forces clubs to not binge spend and spend over their abilities. The last thing we want to see is clubs bankrupting.
    Sóc Culer. Go HUAWEI!

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Mateka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    869
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftstalag14 View Post
    I too find Tebas' salary cap demand unreasonable but the merits of a salary cap are not bad or wrong in principle, just like what the FFP sought to do:

    (1) Creating a level playing field so those that are ultra rich and have much more resources than other clubs (PSG and City etc.) don't outspend others and distort the market and disrupt the competition.
    (2) Helping ensure the financial well-being of clubs. It forces clubs to not binge spend and spend over their abilities. The last thing we want to see is clubs bankrupting.


    I do not think I have ever seen a level playing field in football - finances.
    In 1983, in England, Tottenham Hotspur FC’s Chairman wrote to the F. A. to disregard FA Rule 34. This meant a holding company, THFC plc. could now be set up . Rule 34 said football club directors were the custodians of their clubs; but restricted payment to them, dividends to shareholders, and protected grounds from asset stripping. A director of a football club was a form of public service.

    The FA never replied, and the change went ahead. That changed the game entirely, in England. Decades prior to Chelsea and City having major investment.

    In Spain, to my limited knowledge there is not a level playing field in the distribution of TV money.

    A salary cap is the way forward in FFP.

    But the implication of this LL cap on Barca is doomsday. Questions that cannot be answered, but when were the Barca board aware of this, and what financial decisions did they make following?

    Tebas needs challenging.

  15. #75
    Culé de Celestial Empire
    Luftstalag14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    19,482
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateka View Post
    I do not think I have ever seen a level playing field in football - finances.
    In 1983, in England, Tottenham Hotspur FC’s Chairman wrote to the F. A. to disregard FA Rule 34. This meant a holding company, THFC plc. could now be set up . Rule 34 said football club directors were the custodians of their clubs; but restricted payment to them, dividends to shareholders, and protected grounds from asset stripping. A director of a football club was a form of public service.

    The FA never replied, and the change went ahead. That changed the game entirely, in England. Decades prior to Chelsea and City having major investment.

    In Spain, to my limited knowledge there is not a level playing field in the distribution of TV money.

    A salary cap is the way forward in FFP.

    But the implication of this LL cap on Barca is doomsday. Questions that cannot be answered, but when were the Barca board aware of this, and what financial decisions did they make following?

    Tebas needs challenging.
    More level playing field for each tier, not among all football or sports clubs, obviously 2nd tier and lower tier clubs are not on the same level as the top tier clubs, revenue, spending and resource-wise. The intent is to make sure you don't spend more than what you take in and what you can afford.

    TV distribution in Spain is not as even as it is in the EPL, it favors the bigger clubs much more. That said, in England the TV money pie is much bigger.

    No idea how and when the club was informed of the salary cap. If they agreed to it in the first place, was informed and didn't have a plan for it then the blame is on them. I can understand the 347m figure, but not the 120-160m rumored figure.
    Sóc Culer. Go HUAWEI!