We have sunk like the titanic

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Because Messi played a far bigger role in building Barca's brand of beautifull football and succes then Ronaldo ever did.

Without Messi (or Guardiola, Xavi, Iniesta, Neymar, Suarez) and without the recent chaos at the club... simply delusional.

Messi was a decisive factor and contributed to recent success of the club in the last decade, however the club was already one of the elite clubs before Messi. It is not like el Clasico was seen as David vs. Goliath fight that we stood little to no chances of winning prior to Messi.

Barca are now seen as a badly run club

So? It is still hugely popular, we are still generating the highest amount of interactions and clicks on almost all social media platforms. Messi helped the club get to the popularity level today without any doubt, however I don't think him leaving will pull most of the fans away and cause that popularity to drop drastically.

Manchester United is seen by many as a badly run club too. That didn't stop them from attracting sponsors.

Not without Messi and with the current state of the club.

And even post covid (whenver that is, beginning of next season perhaps) tourism and sponsorship money won't return to previous levels right away, might take years.

Other clubs are also affected. We might have more tourists than other clubs but I don't think it will be a case of other clubs thriving while we are withering in the same post-COVID environment. If we suffer, most clubs will be suffering too.

Parts of Barca International toxic fanbase however deserves nothing less then years of going without trophies.

You underestimate Messi's financial impact and Barcelona and overestimate the clubs's current brand power.

This pretty much epitomizes Messi fans like you. You think Messi is the center of the universe, you think this club is nothing without Messi, you think the club ill-treated Messi and deserves to crash and burn post-Messi. This club is never about one player, Messi or not. This is not fucking FC Messi.

It is understandable that we go a few years without trophies as long as we do the right things to rebuild to prepare to be competitive again. I think most Barca fans would accept that.

How did I underestimate Messi's financial impact? I have dissected the 300m which was pulled out of the ass by someone a few times, care to repudiate? Where does the 300m come from and how? Yes we will take a hit after Messi is gone but we will not sink like the person who started this thread predicted and how some Messi fans wish.

Last edited:

jamrock

The first sign of the fall was when they allowed thiago to leave, it showed a total lack of future planning.

Some of us said it, but most couldn't see the writing on the wall.

But if the great joan Laporta wins there is hope, the club has been ride his & messi's coat tails for a decade now, he saved us from mediocrity before, i have confidence he will do it again.

Richard.H

The first sign of the fall was when they allowed thiago to leave, it showed a total lack of future planning.

Some of us said it, but most couldn't see the writing on the wall.

But if the great joan Laporta wins there is hope, the club has been ride his & messi's coat tails for a decade now, he saved us from mediocrity before, i have confidence he will do it again.

I completely agree. The weird squad decisions by Tito Vilanova (RIP) is when I first started to realize that club politics may be at play. Cesc used to start so much that season which ruined Thiago's development. Club had to justify Cesc transfer by playing him constantly. Note that before him, Pep played whoever the heck he wanted and made some bold squad moves that didn't always pay off (Chigrinsky, Cuenca, Tello, Afellay)

serghei

I completely agree. The weird squad decisions by Tito Vilanova (RIP) is when I first started to realize that club politics may be at play. Cesc used to start so much that season which ruined Thiago's development. Club had to justify Cesc transfer by playing him constantly.

And surprise surprise it's when Pep left the club.

El Gato

Villarato!
Love the amount of these weirdly sounding threads popping up. This, the "are we gonna break top4 thread"...

Ffs :lol:

El Gato

Villarato!
Wasn't Messigician banned and on grounds of spam? That must be the worst ban ever administered on this forum lol

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Shit squad, no money, 3 points above fkn relegation zone, already 12 points in the league. 4 points in our last 7 home games.

Barto has legit fucked us. Messi brings in 300m in revenue if we lose him we will be the next AC Milan.

Players we signed to replace the old core are not good enough.

What should we have done? It's easy hire Valverde for 2 or 3 seasons save the money from Neymar and save up for proven talent on reasonable wages. Then after 3 years are up wave goodbye to Valverde and bring in a new coach who can phase out old players like Suarez and repalce them adequately.

Instead we are 800m In the red...

We are fucked

Lbv.gif

Birdy

So the new argument Messi Fanboy camp is employing is that without Messi our revenue will take a huge blow and we will fall out of the elite for marketing reasons this time.
LMAO :lol:
Now they have few or no things to say about what Messi does on/off pitch, they resort to revenue and marketing.

Messi fanboys I have news for you: No, Barca will still belong to the elite, as it has been since the early 90s (and did not climb there because of Messi as you think).
Luftstalag14 explained all the reasons. I don't have sth to add apart from a sarcastic laughter and pity...

Mitchell1978

So the new argument Messi Fanboy camp is employing is that without Messi our revenue will take a huge blow and we will fall out of the elite for marketing reasons this time.
LMAO :lol:
Now they have few or no things to say about what Messi does on/off pitch, they resort to revenue and marketing.

Messi fanboys I have news for you: No, Barca will still belong to the elite, as it has been since the early 90s (and did not climb there because of Messi as you think).
Luftstalag14 explained all the reasons. I don't have sth to add apart from a sarcastic laughter and pity...

Messi played a huge part in making Barca the nr 1 (or top 2 with Madrid) footballing brand in the world.

All you barca fanboys are simply delusional thinking that Barca anno 1999 had the same standing in the (football) world as Barca anno 2016 for example. And i remember those times.

A couple of years of mediocrity will do Barca fanboys some good, might loose some of that entitlement.

JohnN

Getting rid of all the deadweight veterans last summer, has surely elevated our level to a new gold standard.

Home of Barca Fans