Oscar Mingueza

Andresito

Staff member
The curious case of Oscar Mingueza. Dude looked absolute dog shit in Barca B and wasn't even a regular.

It makes me wonder, how many players have we missed out on due to them not performing in Barca B and thus never getting the chance in the first team?
Question number two: if Mingueza would've been shipped to Cadiz, Alcorcon or whatever; how would he have performed there? Would he have reached his current level for us to sign him? Or would he have turned into a Sergi Gomez, Rafa Mujica level of player and disappear from our radar?

Messigician

The curious case of Oscar Mingueza. Dude looked absolute dog shit in Barca B and wasn't even a regular.

It makes me wonder, how many players have we missed out on due to them not performing in Barca B and thus never getting the chance in the first team?
Question number two: if Mingueza would've been shipped to Cadiz, Alcorcon or whatever; how would he have performed there? Would he have reached his current level for us to sign him? Or would he have turned into a Sergi Gomez, Rafa Mujica level of player and disappear from our radar?

Football is fine margins bro.

Ok let'sits all speculation but same can be said for players like Xavi and Iniesta, who knows what level they reach alot of football is about staying injury free and the mental game

xXKonan

Mingueza's career is pretty odd yeah.

Hard to believe at one point he was behind Chumi in the pecking order while Araujo and Cuenca were for the most part first choice. Cuenca wasn't exactly "Great" but he seems to be tearing it up for Almeria on loan and could have a future at Villarreal and Araujo was promoted to the first team and did well this season before his injuries.

Chumi was like the standard old B team CB's you will find, great on the ball but bog standard so to speak. He did alright when Valverde gave him a chance but the Copa deal where he was technically not supposed to play ended up being the curtains for his time here. Mingueza got his chance and lived up to it.

Barcilliant

Some people thrive when dropped into the fire. Some don't.
Mingueza has the right mentality and physical qualities. I hope he goes far.

Horatio

You're welcome
Think with Mingueza its simply more a case of hard work and taking his responsibilities as a professional football player seriously. As the tweet showcased where he said he was also analyzing games etc.

Frenkie is another player that tries to get the most out of himself.

Players like these provide new perspective on the age-old debate of hardwork vs talent.

That hardworking mentality is a necessity to get an edge over your opponents. Too long we had players taking their job at Barca for granted.

Proud of the lad. I also see a hard worker in Araujo. That's why I want him to stay as well.

Last edited:

serghei

The most improved player this season IMO. More than Pedri. Plays like a starter, man even makes 1-2s with Messi in the opposing box and scores in Clasico these days :lol: He's living the life.

soul24rage

It's not just hardwork though, it's the ability to withstand the mental pressure at playing at a huge club week in week out. We saw how pressure got to players like Gomes, Coutinho and etc. but for players like Mingueza, you cold see that he could hold on to mental pressure well and that is probably the key aspect of making it in this club imo.

Porque

Definitely for players like Cucurella or Grimaldo, if they for example was given the same opportunity.

Bobo32

Definitely for players like Cucurella or Grimaldo, if they for example was given the same opportunity.

Yeah but these players had some hype around them in the youth teams.
Mingueza is the first one since Busquets that I wasn't really aware existed when he started to play. Pedrito, too, was a player which I never considered Barcelona A material from the preseason tourneys. Most of the other players had some hype around them before they got to play in real games (well Pep used a lot of players, mostly wingers, that were never going to be regulars, too)
Must've been a lot of these players who could've played a role, maybe become regulars, or at least bring in some money from manifactured hype, if given the chance.

Home of Barca Fans