Oscar Mingueza

serghei

I'm actually surprised how good he's been myself.

Didn't look special with the B team and sat behind the likes of Araujo, Cuenca, Chumi at one point in the pecking order. But he's been great so far with the two games he's played and I hope he keeps it up.

I think with the defenders it's quite hard to know which is which until you so-to-speak see them getting the baptism of fire.

With Mingueza, he's obviously forced atm, and you can see he's not ready, but also, there are very positive things about him. I expected him to be crap at positioning, but he's always where he should be with very minor exceptions.

Most of the things he needs to fix aren't glaring weaknesses like in the case of Bartra. He is physical, he is fast, he is where he needs to be. And as a bonus, when he breaks shape, he either gets the ball, or if he doesn't, he is smart enough to foul his opponent without getting a card.

Did not expect to see Lenglet making more mistakes than him in that partnership. In these two games vs Kiev, and Osasuna, he's been better and more stable than Lenglet.

Last edited:

FC433

I'm actually surprised how good he's been myself.

Didn't look special with the B team and sat behind the likes of Araujo, Cuenca, Chumi at one point in the pecking order. But he's been great so far with the two games he's played and I hope he keeps it up.
+1
Such a nice surprise!

Andresito

Staff member
CB's are very hard to rate at Barca. Lenglet has been a yo-yo all his Barca career mixing stability with retardedness.

Marlon also looked like he could become at least a good sub for us.

Most things have clicked against both Kiev and Osasuna. I'm still cautious with Mingueza.

behindbrowneyes

With Lenglet now out as well, I'd really like to see Mingueza and Araujo paired up and see how that looks, as soon as Araujo is ready. Hopefully he already is, cause Ferencvaros in the midweek is the perfect match to try it out, nothing much to lose, and even if it doesn't work, pretty sure our attack should outscore them anyway, even our reserves. No need to sacrifice De Jong's place in midfield if these two can jump in and perform, in addition Umtiti might also be ready to play the occasional game as well.

Mingo - Araujo will be an interesting pairing to watch, especially against counter-attacking teams. Of course they will make mistakes, but I always felt that the lack of pace of both Lenglet and Pique hurt the team. Maybe the club can learn something out of it and that Garcia is not exactly what is needed.

Not that De Jong is something special playing as CB. I'm pretty sure Valverde would play him day-in day-out as CB in the current situation. Koeman is brave enough to get them youngsters some experience while the proven CBs are out injured.

FinBarcelonafan

I don't think they would hurt us in counter. Pique and Lenglet are both terrible defending counters. I think heading Pique does extremely well though, so that's where the biggest downfall will be.

behindbrowneyes

I don't think they would hurt us in counter.

That's what I was trying to say. Araujo and Mingueza both are faster than Pique and Lenglet, Araujo probably the fastest in the squad right after Dembele.

Btw. I like how Koeman is handling youngsters:
With so many injuries in defence, Oscar Mingueza has had to step up from the B team. He has done well in his two appearances so far, although Koeman noted he made two cheap mistakes against Osasuna.

"I told him that he played really well, but he lost the ball two times in areas where you cannot lose it," the Dutch coach added.

"We spoke about that. One poor touch can lead to a chance for the opponent. You can have a good game, but two mistakes can cost you the match. He has to learn and improve."
https://www.sport.es/en/news/barca/...let-injury-it-doesnt-seem-too-serious-8227014

serghei

I don't think they would hurt us in counter. Pique and Lenglet are both terrible defending counters. I think heading Pique does extremely well though, so that's where the biggest downfall will be.

Unfortunately, clearing crosses that land in his zone is the only thing Pique still does well. He is pretty bad at everything else.

JohnN

This guy, even being so green, proves that we have been lacking athleticism in the back line so much, that even a regular youngster looks like prime puyol to us compared to our regular starters.

FinBarcelonafan

This guy, even being so green, proves that we have been lacking athleticism in the back line so much, that even a regular youngster looks like prime puyol to us compared to our regular starters.

Yep. As a fan it's so frustrating, because for years you've been screaming more physical defenseman yet we never got those. Umtiti was one but he lost it. We never replaced him or Mascherano. Since then it's been downhill.

JamDav1982

Yep. Bad half. Let's hope it was because we switched off after being 3-0 up so early.

He did same at weekend.

In second half then he had sloppy moments that could have resulted in goals. Koeman commented on it and some folk claiming it was harsh but he clearly wants him to keep switched on for 90 mins more than anything.

Home of Barca Fans