European Super League

khaled_a_d

The Super League is working on a new proposal: a tournament of 20 teams and the abolition of 'permanent members’ the reports add: We see the interest of many European clubs to work with us as soon as the Court of Justice has clarified the legal basis. Via (@wiwo & @antoalicastro)

The report via @wiwo says: every team will qualify based on their league position. All European Leagues will have a chance to earn a place through a qualifying phase. A second league will have 20 teams. Finally a total number of matches will be reduced less games for players.

Basically they will try to just take UEFA out of equation and remove the elitist criteria and make it merit based .

serghei

Basically they will try to just take UEFA out of equation and remove the elitist criteria and make it merit based .

That is way better. Like a reformated Champions League that is taken outside of UEFA's influence and policy. Would be a good way to temper the state clubs, if they get the rules right.

It's imperative to leave the national league system untouched.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
So the difference between the new ESL they are proposing and the current CL with UEFA on top is just taking UEFA out of it and it is governed directly by the founding clubs, pretty much like how the Euroleague is?

khaled_a_d

So the difference between the new ESL they are proposing and the current CL with UEFA on top is just taking UEFA out of it and it is governed directly by the founding clubs, pretty much like how the Euroleague is?

And decreased number of clubs.
Now there is 36 in CL (soon) and at least 32 clubs in Europa League and 32 conference cup. 100 teams.
In the ESL it is 20+20, they will probably suggest UEFA tournaments for the rest most likely, but if not it will huge 60% drop which I can see many clubs from outside the top 5 leagues oppose.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
And decreased number of clubs.
Now there is 36 in CL (soon) and at least 32 clubs in Europa League and 32 conference cup. 100 teams.
In the ESL it is 20+20, they will probably suggest UEFA tournaments for the rest most likely, but if not it will huge 60% drop which I can see many clubs from outside the top 5 leagues oppose.

I see, based on that alone I can see many clubs and national FA's opposing that, painting it still as an elitist competition.

khaled_a_d

I see, based on that alone I can see many clubs and national FA's opposing that, painting it still as an elitist competition.

Yeah, that will be the biggest hurdle IMO. There will be playoffs so more clubs will get to play there. But top 5 leagues already produces 19 clubs in the CL, iirc at least 18 of them granted.
So either elite leagues or smaller ones lose

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yeah, that will be the biggest hurdle IMO. There will be playoffs so more clubs will get to play there. But top 5 leagues already produces 19 clubs in the CL, iirc at least 18 of them granted.
So either elite leagues or smaller ones lose

If the competition is not closed (good) and membership is not guaranteed, and there will be more participating clubs, I suppose the payout for each founding/original club (is there such a thing under the new format? I am not sure) will not be as much as they were initially promised? Is it still much more than what UEFA would pay under the CL format (I read they want to increase the payout too)? I just wonder what is in it for us to continue to push this ESL idea, monetarily.

khaled_a_d

If the competition is not closed (good) and membership is not guaranteed, and there will be more participating clubs, I suppose the payout for each founding/original club (is there such a thing under the new format? I am not sure) will not be as much as they were initially promised? Is it still much more than what UEFA would pay under the CL format (I read they want to increase the payout too)? I just wonder what is in it for us to continue to push this ESL idea, monetarily.

Well, it is still great financial advantage for all clubs.
Sure not as much of initial format but OTOH it is still more than status quo.

Sterlingfan2000

Well, it is still great financial advantage for all clubs.
Sure not as much of initial format but OTOH it is still more than status quo.

Its coming, Apparently Perez hired 10 renowed Law Firms including the Firm that Manchester City hired against Uefa and every Firm said they are going to win in Court.

The Start is unknown 2022 or 2023 at the latest

Sterlingfan2000

How are UEFA going to win the Court Case in April against the Super League ?

Has anybody thought about ?

Like even how bad and aweful the Super League was, UEFA threatened them with fines and bans and forced other Clubs to sign documents. Also they wanted to ban Super League Players from their competition.

That's a Monopoly , it's like Google forbidding other company's to build smartphones or they wont let them use Android Software for them.

U don't need even good lawyers , they can't win. UEFA is actually screwed

Mateka

Boris is against the SL.

Documents are being readied by Government officials that would make it legal for the FA and Premier league to bring harsh action on clubs backing the resurrection of the European Super League, according to the Telegraph. Aug 2021

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson could drop a legislative bombshell to prevent the European Super League from taking place.

…the announcement has been met with strong disapproval from across the footballing world, with culture secretary Oliver Dowden telling the House of Commons on Monday night that the government would use every tool at their disposal including changes to competition law to kill the proposed Super League.
Apr 2021 The Athletic

‘If the government is determined to do something about it, we will back them,” said the Labour leader, Keir Starmer. “There is no block in parliament to action if action is needed.” Guardian Apr 2021

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Can see how much legal power Boris Johnson has to do that but even then a ESL without EPL teams can go ahead if enough teams want it.

Just means a split in European Football.

Having EPL teams wont be the deal break some think when one of biggest reasons this is even in the pipeline is to counter the growth of EPL in comparison to other leagues.

Home of Barca Fans