European Super League

KingLeo10

You seem to be missing the point that currently the games with these clubs bring in that but that's not the same as saying these 12 teams. Who knows how this league will be viewed by the public. Sure the world wide fans will go along with it but domestically a lot of fans will probably shun it.

Fans in England like the competition between rival cities which doesn't exist within Europe. It will be a different type of fan and that will change the atmosphere and the spectacle of the game. The Premier League doesn't have the best players or the best football but it's the best most profitable league.

I'm a proponent of an open competition that's limited to champions and maybe cup winners. And with participating teams (across all leagues, even the less glamorous ones) getting a much bigger share of the revenue compared to the 500 m - 2 billion that UEFA seems to skim off every year.

This will ensure parity.

Morten

I almost laughed when i heard the FIFA president talking about "values of football", as if FIFA and UEFA really cares about that :lol:

That said, if they are able to stop the ESL then they are welcome to do so, obviously.

malvolio

Perez should increase his security. UEFA/FIFA are too big an organizations to lock horns with. They might go after his head.

can't believe i'm rooting with florentino on this one. simply the fact they fuck over UEFA/FIFA is a positive for me :lol:

Adversus

WTF? Other than a few Copa Italia games many years ago, what games were played in China?

Because that will happen to all the teams in this new Super League. They don't want the domestic fan who only goes to the game and has a season ticket. They want the fan who goes because it's his once in a year or even lifetime dream to go. The guy who spends the whole day at the ground. Who buys all the merchandise etc.

They know there's a limit to that unless they bring the club to those fans. The NFL already do it. They already move teams from unprofitable cities to more profitable cities. Why do think something being driven by American owners would be any different.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The ESL people should consult with those folks who spearheaded the Euroleague, an entity created outside of FIBA and now the dominant, first-tier basketball tournament in Europe. The FIBA-sanctioned Eurocup is the 2nd-tier tournament now.

serghei

That's the kind of response you come up with when you've dug in on a stance and eliminate plausibility.

Are you telling me TV companies will market a WC without 80% of star players on the planet.

I'm simply looking at the worst-case scenario for both if one uses full power. FIFA can organize a World Cup without players from these clubs, and make no mistake, many people will still watch it.

What will the banished clubs do in this case? I wanna hear their plan. It's missing. It seems they just didn't think about much other than UEFA will leave them be and they will get their own new competition while nothing else changes.

snowy

Wouldn't be surprised if Popflo spends most his time on his yacht. Prob got a couple doubles walking around and doing the pressers. :papaperez:

Since they wanna bring in changes, would be cool if they could set up an All Star type show.

Adversus

I'm a proponent of an open competition that's limited to champions and maybe cup winners. And with participating teams (across all leagues, even the less glamorous ones) getting a much bigger share of the revenue compared to the 500 m - 2 billion that UEFA seems to skim off every year.

This will ensure parity.

It won't. The money should be given to the leagues and the leagues should evenly distribute it. The competition should be for pride and status alone. The problem with European football of any kind is it skews the domestic game.

If you believe the European competitions are more important and the domestic game doesn't really matter then frankly some sort of Super League is the answer.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Because that will happen to all the teams in this new Super League. They don't want the domestic fan who only goes to the game and has a season ticket. They want the fan who goes because it's his once in a year or even lifetime dream to go. The guy who spends the whole day at the ground. Who buys all the merchandise etc.

They know there's a limit to that unless they bring the club to those fans. The NFL already do it. They already move teams from unprofitable cities to more profitable cities. Why do think something being driven by American owners would be any different.

Nope, local fans with season tickets and fans who actually go to the stadium to watch the game live (most of who are locals) still matter a lot to these clubs as they bringing in a lot of revenue, they are considered part of the core business/interest of any club, big or small. Playing home games in a different location/overseas regularly will hurt them a lot and will also decrease their brand values in their domestic markets.

NFL is on a different model, they are more of a brand or a franchise than a locally affiliated sport team, they move around to find the city or place to bring in more money.

KingLeo10

I'm simply looking at the worst-case scenario for both if one uses full power. FIFA can organize a World Cup without players from these clubs, and make no mistake, many people will still watch it.

What will the banished clubs do in this case? I wanna hear their plan. It's missing. It seems they just didn't think about much other than UEFA will leave them be and they will get their own new competition while nothing else changes.

"Make no mistake" isn't really empirical or even anecdotal evidence. Not based on how WCs are marketed. Look at the ads for all of the previous WCs. Stardom is the driving force.

Home of Barca Fans