European Super League

El Gato

Villarato!
Doing away with national cup games for the ESL members could be another way to manage this...rounds out to about 60 games per season then, same as now.

By the way, what's your take on this?

It fucking sucks the way it seems right now. I can't elaborate now and need to think but I don't think it's fundamentally good and I really do not know where it leaves the non-ESL football. If there was conscious effort to level the playing field by taking away the power from UEFA and FIFA who give a LOOT of leeway for oil clubs and to make improvements as a separate entity I'd be less annoyed and more willing to give it a chance but there's been no indication that this is anything other than a vanity project.

bismp

It fucking sucks the way it seems right now. I can't elaborate now and need to think but I don't think it's fundamentally good and I really do not know where it leaves the non-ESL football. If there was conscious effort to level the playing field by taking away the power from UEFA and FIFA to make improvements as a separate entity I'd be less annoyed and more willing to give it a chance but there's been no indication that this is anything other than a vanity project.

Maybe if teams were relegated.

JamDav1982

Neville is a hypocrite.

'Football is about the fans' while works for Sky which has taken it away from fans and makes them pay hundreds of pounds a year to watch the games.

The owners are 'imposters' when acting in way he doesnt like but he laps up EPL as best in world which in large part is due to owners and money they have put in.

Also not scared to flash cash and change the colour of strip for lower league clubs he part owns which has pissed of fans and other owners in lower leagues.

Sky and EPL grew the league to be as money hungry as possible. They fear losing control of it.

xxxxxx

Of course they will still be in domestic leagues if they push it that far.

But.... what implications does it have on future Champions League/Europa League places. UEFA and FIFA have already said they'll ban any team or any player if they take part in this. Who gets the Champions League places if Barcelona, Real and Atletico finish in the top 3? What is the point of those teams competing in their domestic leagues if means they're guaranteed to be in the Super League every year? It actually messes up the whole process of the European places. I honestly can't see the domestic bodies being happy with this.

Also, this will be the start of things to come. If this Super League is successful, who is to say that respective clubs in the Super League will want to stay in their domestic leagues if they're making so much money and it's really successful. What if they want to add more teams and make it a more regular thing? What if it doesn't work out and those teams are not allowed back in the Champions League later down the line?

JamDav1982

But.... what implications does it have on future Champions League/Europa League places. UEFA and FIFA have already said they'll ban any team or any player if they take part in this. Who gets the Champions League places if Barcelona, Real and Atletico finish in the top 3? What is the point of those teams competing in their domestic leagues if means they're guaranteed to be in the Super League every year? It actually messes up the whole process of the European places. I honestly can't see the domestic bodies being happy with this.

Also, this will be the start of things to come. If this Super League is successful, who is to say that respective clubs in the Super League will want to stay in their domestic leagues if they're making so much money and it's really successful. What if they want to add more teams and make it a more regular thing? What if it doesn't work out and those teams are not allowed back in the Champions League later down the line?

None of that is relevant to teams being thrown out their domestic leagues or leaving as you said they would be.

Money talks above all. Start there.

AzaR

It's ironic given how Sky were arguably the biggest reason why a breakaway league like EPL was created in the 1990s lol

I appreciate the irony of not just Sky, but also UEFA and Fifa - But on this occasion, they're the lesser evil.

SmilerBam

I hope Laporta cut us off from this stupidity. If not,as some said here, i'll stop supporting this club. Greedy cunts.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I don?t get why people are so upset. Maybe the CL has a more interesting format(though we do not know the exact format of the SL yet),but this is just the natural progression of the sport,for better or worse.

The big clubs obviously want to make more money,it?s been the case more and more lately.

Even CL is obviously a money-grab compared to the original Champions Cup(pre 1990s)

And obviously everyone will tune in,because we are going to get some huge matches almost on a weekly basis.

Also I doubt that UEFA,FIFA etc will do anything :lol:

If they ban the clubs from the domestic leagues,they will basically ban the 12(or 15 by the end) biggest clubs in the world. What will the average fan prefer? A derby between european giants or Levante vs Valencia :lol:

And if they ban the players from their national duty,then like 80% of the worlds? greatest players will be affected.Good luck promoting the WC without them :lol:

The problem with the ESL is that it is a closed system with big clubs getting a permanent seat at the table, no promotion and relegation etc. Shouldn't we reward clubs for doing well by promoting them to the top tier etc.? The spirit of the ESL is de-incentivizing aspiration and upward mobility in the sport. AS corrupt or unfair as the CL is, it is still better than the ESL.

FIFA and UEFA are the governing bodies of football, sure they can do things if they want to. Of course it will hurt themselves if they go ahead with the ban, but they are in the position to publish these clubs to stop more damage being inflicted.

El Gato

Villarato!
Maybe if teams were relegated.

Relegated to where?

This is intended to take UEFA out and have big teams govern top level football as their own entity and distribute funding according to their ethical standards. Remains to be seen whether federations agree to leave UEFA hanging and bail on the agreement to ban the big teams once offered a payout or a structure to promote relegate from domestic league.

Home of Barca Fans