Gini Wijnaldum

JamDav1982

Sure but this analogy to me has less impact when we're talking about the sort of salary footballers are on. If I'm a general manager at a restaurant and earn 50k a year but then another restaurant offers me 120k a year that's a life changing amount more. Wijnaldum will start and end this contract a multi-millionaire. Just as he would have done coming here. Unless he has ambitions to set up several business pursuits (maybe he does and in which case, fair enough) it's simply more money in a bank account full of money.

Virtually everyone wants to be paid more money and get what see as their full worth.

An extra 12-15m over 3 years is life changing even if still well off otherwise.

More money changes life and gives more options every time and when at a team like PSG who are not behind Barca on sporting side it is an easy decision.

Trying to apply it to situation of folk on 100k a year is futile really as not relevant.

I used to think he was really really good when Liverpool won cl and the league but I watched him a bit the last few Liverpool games this season and the Netherlands and he looks noticeably slower. Now I think he maybe isn't what this team needs, which is energy and speed in the midfield iin particular.

malvolio

this motherfucker went from getting a lamborghini on lease to a bugatti chiron super sport cash-in-hand.

the terrible life of modern day footballers.

Rory

Virtually everyone wants to be paid more money and get what see as their full worth.

An extra 12-15m over 3 years is life changing even if still well off otherwise.

More money changes life and gives more options every time and when at a team like PSG who are not behind Barca on sporting side it is an easy decision.

Trying to apply it to situation of folk on 100k a year is futile really as not relevant.

Relevant when the point being made is everyone would accept more money. That's lumping everyone (including people who aren't footballers) into the discussion. Big difference in purchasing power and what you can do with money in life if you go from min wage to double/treble salary compared to going from few million to a few more. Therefore lumping all those people into the statement seems like a bad example to me. Unless Wijnaldum has plans to spend that money, in which case then yes it's life changing for him and fair enough for accepting the offer based on money.

JamDav1982

Relevant when the point being made is everyone would accept more money. That's lumping everyone (including people who aren't footballers) into the discussion. Big difference in purchasing power and what you can do with money in life if you go from min wage to double/treble salary compared to going from few million to a few more. Therefore lumping all those people into the statement seems like a bad example to me. Unless Wijnaldum has plans to spend that money, in which case then yes it's life changing for him and fair enough for accepting the offer based on money.

No that is not relevant to compare someone on 100k as if money should matter less to those on millions. That is not reality.

I would say without doubt virtually everyone wants to be paid more and it is one of it not the main considerations in their working life. Depends on how much it tips the scales when forced to make a choice.

It is life changing money. Gives more options. Not life changing between being poor or not but still is and it is up to him what uses it for.

Rory

No that is not relevant to compare someone on 100k as if money should matter less to those on millions. That is not reality.

I would say without doubt virtually everyone wants to be paid more and it is one of it not the main considerations in their working life. Depends on how much it tips the scales when forced to make a choice.

It is life changing money. Gives more options. Not life changing between being poor or not but still is and it is up to him what uses it for.

Yes, everyone thinks about the money in a job, didn't say otherwise. But more money at different levels of salary has less impact on life so is less of a factor. Even if it's 5% difference, doesn't matter, it's less. So to compare saying everyone would take more money isn't the same. Lumping what people who have little money would choose over someone who has plenty of it into the same group doesn't seem right to me. What he uses his money for is up to him, didn't say otherwise. I said if he doesn't plan to really do anything with it then it's not life changing for him.

JamDav1982

Yes, everyone thinks about the money in a job, didn't say otherwise. But more money at different levels of salary has less impact on life so is less of a factor. Even if it's 5% difference, doesn't matter, it's less. So to compare saying everyone would take more money isn't the same. Lumping what people who have little money would choose over someone who has plenty of it into the same group doesn't seem right to me. What he uses his money for is up to him, didn't say otherwise. I said if he doesn't plan to really do anything with it then it's not life changing for him.

Who said 'everyone will take more money'?

Folk with money dont stop wanting their worth any more than those that dont have it. In many ways those that make lots of money are the ones that care about it more anyway so two sides to that argument.

It is life changing for him no matter what decides to do with it. Even if leaves it in bank for future generations but all of that is completely irrelevant to point that virtually everyone wants more money and to be realise their worth and it is major consideration for all. No matter rich or poor.

Andresito

Staff member
Don't forget that he turns 31 in a couple of months. PSG is his last big paycheck in his life and it's a sum of money that's considerably higher than what he's earned before.

I don't see why anyone would choose Barca ahead of PSG with those offers at 31.
To play with Messi? To play for a club like Barca? I think there are very few people in the world who value that ahead of 2-3 times the money.

In the end he'll be fighting for domestic trophies and playing in the CL, no matter if he chooses PSG or Barca.

Joan

this motherfucker went from getting a lamborghini on lease to a bugatti chiron super sport cash-in-hand.

the terrible life of modern day footballers.

That's what he was after, after all. Huge last paycheck, but he also got a pressure free environment in PSG. Ideal for a player like him.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Qatar stopped funding PSG 5 years ago and they want self sufficient PSG. We are already self sufficient and don't need Qatar money. After all, Nasser already said that they are at PSG for a very long time.

We just need better transfer policy to be more competitive in CL.We signed Mbappe and Neymar in 2017, then, our transfer market has been a mess since 3 years. This can't happen at PSG. we need to sign 1-2 top players every year.

Self-sufficient in what way? That your profits alone will sustain all of your operations, including transfers? Nah.

Especially in the age of COVID when clubs are incurring losses between tens and hundreds of millions, I don't believe for a second PSG won't be looking to Qatar for money.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

More money is more money though, always better than less. At the end of the day it is much better for someone like Wijnaldum, who is in the last years of his career without much aspirations professionally to take PSG's offer with much more money.

iniestaGOAT

I dont think gini is at that stage where more money has less impact in his life.

That is only for people with fuck you money

Rassvet

I doubt the wages offered were that different between PSG and Barca. Seems like media spin to make it seem that Barca is such a great project that PSG needed all this cash to convince him. Reality is that PSG offers a much better sporting project in the coming years.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I doubt the wages offered were that different between PSG and Barca. Seems like media spin to make it seem that Barca is such a great project that PSG needed all this cash to convince him. Reality is that PSG offers a much better sporting project in the coming years.

More than double the salary offer than Barca doesn't sound like much of a different yes.

Home of Barca Fans