Exposing The 4231 Formation: An Analysis

Messigician

Firstly although I have been memed for it I think selling Suarez is a bad idea.

Many have said well Griezmann will play in his natural position...

So it's going to be Messi cam Griezmann striker Coutinho LW?

Or Messi Striker Griezmann CAM?

You see the problem Messi and Grrizmamn both play in eachothers best position as a CF.

Messi relies on a strikerto draw opposing defenders away, open space, make dummy runs play 1 2s Etc.

Paying 17m to terminate Suarez is a huge mistake unless we have an actual striker like Halland lined up (we should next year) then having 4 number 10S Griezmann Coutinho Messi Martinez is tactical suicide.

Now on to 4221...

YI stop acting like 4231 is this revolutionary formation we have been missing out on.

Valverde is well aware of the formation and used it when he had Dembele healthy and was chasing a goal.

The formation has serious flaws defensively, if FDJ and Pjanic are going to be our pivots we need the rest of the team to work extremely hard to make up the lack of midfield control we will have. There's a reason Klopp went from a 4231 to dominating with a 433. They became so much more solid defensively with it and didn't leak goals left and right.

The formation works for Bayern due to how disciplined the players are and hardworking too. They have actual pace to hit you on the counter and can play direct.

Coutinho Messi and Griezmann nor Martinez are not the players for this formation only Dembele is which is exactly why Valverde only used this formation when he had him available.

Fyi Koeman has a number 10 fetish according to many Everton fans he signed multiple 10s only to try and accommodate them all in 4231 and conceding 4 goals per game before his sacking.

Messigician

As usual everyone is excited for the change but never want to discuss if it might leave us worse off.

" anyone is better than Valverde"

serghei

You actually make some good points here. Just stop using Valverde in nearly every post you make. :lol:.

FC433

You did not offer any soultions, could you please do that?
It is not pleasant to say x is bad and does not offer an alternative.

serghei

To play 4-2-3-1 well, we need to sing a fast, and hard working winger with end product. Somebody like a Pedro.

So, we'd need very hard working players in the 3 line. With Messi, Dembele and Coutinho, we already have 3 which are ranging from mediocre to terrible in this area.

Messigician

You actually make some good points here. Just stop using Valverde in nearly every post you make. :lol:.

I had to because I read many posts on here saying Koeman is a genius for using 4231 and Valverde and Seticuck are bums for not using it themselves.

serghei

Keep Suarez is out of the question. Even if we don't sign anyone, Suarez needs to go.

I think we should sell the veterans, most of them, and avoid big spending.

Messigician

What if we cannot get Haaland? extend Suarez's contract for one more year?

Go for Mbappe if he doesn't extend.

If we are to sell Suarez now ok get someone like Aubameyang as a stop gap.

I am not against selling Suarez like many think I am. But I am against paying money for YET ANOTHER CF like Martinez and no actual striker. We are doomed we will have spent 100m and no money next season we will be stuck with 30 year old Griezmann on 400k a week. 30 year old Coutinho on 300k a week.

serghei

Going for the players every team is after is not a very solid plan. Good if you can make it happen, but your plan needs to be based more on proper scouting, than signing the galacticos on the market. This seems to be the oil team approach.

Finding proper players for up to 30-40m that could start and become the engine of the team is where we should focus. First build the backbone of the team with good, informed, and inspired signings, and then we can focus on fine tuning some key positions with 1-2 elite players after about 2 years, to give us the extra edge.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

I would be on board with:

Lautaro
Dembele/Fati - Van de Beek/Puig - Messi/Griezmann
Frenkie - Pjanic
Defense

If Koeman tries to force a 4231 to accommodate both Messi and Griezmann its bound to fail (and in extension Koeman). No idea whats his idea with Coutinho as well, hopefully just rumours.

Messigician

Keep Suarez is out of the question. Even if we don't sign anyone, Suarez needs to go.

I think we should sell the veterans, most of them, and avoid big spending.

The problem is the only reason the board want to get rid of Suarez is to sign Martinez it is not like we are going for Aubameyang or an actual good alternative.

Suarez is the only thing between. Us and another 100m flop so I will rather he stays to keep the board from getting their way in their final year of disaster

Messigician

I would be on board with:

Lautaro
Dembele/Fati - Van de Beek/Puig - Messi/Griezmann
Frenkie - Pjanic
Defense

If Koeman tries to force a 4231 to accommodate both Messi and Griezmann its bound to fail (and in extension Koeman). No idea whats his idea with Coutinho as well, hopefully just rumours.

Unfortunately tier 1 sources have reported Koeman sees Coutinho as a key player.

The same player who Bayern benched to improve.

Messi Coutinho and Griezmann cannot play together even 2/3 let alone all 3. It idea disaster.

It is one thing to say I will play Griezmann in his natural position another is to think of an actual solution

serghei

The problem is the only reason the board want to get rid of Suarez is to sign Martinez it is not like we are going for Aubameyang or an actual good alternative.

Suarez is the only thing between. Us and another 100m flop so I will rather he stays to keep the board from getting their way in their final year of disaster

Suarez has been informed by Koeman that he doesn't count on him. He will be a toxic presence in the team that will fuck up the atmosphere with his unlikable, bullying type persona.

Home of Barca Fans