Which LB would you sign to replace Alba?

Which LB would you sign to replace Alba

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Title says it all. Which of these LBs would be your choice to replace Jordi Alba who seem to be for sale with Atletico seemingly interested.

#1 - Jose Luis Gaya: 25 years old starting LB for Valencia was touted as a potential World Class talent years ago, but been up and down at a club that always seem to shoot themselves in the foot. Could be available for around 30m considering Valencia are unable to pay their players right now and need to sell. Peter Lim might also be setting himself up for a sale. Only one assist in all competitions in 2019/20.

2 - Pervis Estupinan - 22 year old Watford LB from Ecuador that was on loan at Osasuna this season and impressed a lot of people with his pace and crossing. Would possibly take up a Non-EU spot which could be problematic for Barca given they only have three to use and Araujo until he gets his Spanish Citizenship is going to take one of those spots. One goal and five assists in all competitions in 2019/20.

#3 - Nicolas Tagliafico - 27 year old Argentine LB that is a starter for Ajax and Argentina NT. Been a part of an impressive Ajax team these last couple of years. Not the quickest LB, but one that always gets into the right positions and is very reliable for his teams. Possible Non-EU spot? 5 goals and 5 assists in all competitions in 2019/20.

#4 - Robin Gosens - 26 year old Dutch-German LWB for arguably the most impressive team in Europe this season, Atalanta. A late bloomer who's blossomed under Gasperini. Definitely the most physical LB among all these players. 10 goals and 9 assists in all competitions in 2019/20

#5 - Angelino - 23 year old Spanish LWB/LB out on loan from Man City to Red Bull Leipzig. Decent pace and loves to play low crosses. Been good for Leipzig this season, but is a bit of a gamble. One goal and four assists this season.

Vilarrubi

Haven’t seen enough of any of them tbh. Angelino was underwhelming for City whenever I watched him, presumed that’s why he got loaned out.

Also watching YouTube highlights of any of them now is never a good idea because they can look anyone look good. Voted for Gaya, pretty solid every time I’ve watched him.

DonAK

Yeah. YouTube highlights usually only show the players' good moments, but is decent enough to gauge what type of players they are.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
If I have to choose Id just get Gaya. Just because Barca can get him for a good price with all the problems Valencia is having , not sure if he will be good enough though. Id stay away from Angelino and Tagliafico.

LB market is currently dead , unless you have a great scouting and sporting department that can find you a gem ( Robertson , Davies) and we all know Barca doesn't have that.

Or just keep Alba ( as much as I dislike him) since you just know Barto has this talent of making things worse.

It is what it is.

Last edited:

Andrew M

This is a really hard one. Madrid did well in picking up Ferland Mendy when they did.

Probably Gaya given his adaptation to the team might be faster. Would not pay over 25 million for any of them. Valencia have troubles so maybe 20 for Gaya

Last edited:

Birdy

Where is Grimaldo?? Please include him in the poll..

By the way, just to get a sense:
Grimaldo this season:
ETePpLzWAAEnZ9N

DonAK

I decided not to include Grimaldo since he might be the least likely option with his comments towards this board and management when he left. Not to forget his injury problems.

I included these guys since I've seen at least one semi-decent report about them being linked to us.

I can include him though, but not sure you can edit a poll when it's posted.

Last edited:

messi2140

6racies Xavi
I decided not to include Grimaldo since he might be the least likely option with his comments towards this board and management when he left. Not to forget his injury problems.

I included these guys since I've seen at least one semi-decent report about them being linked to us.

I can include him though, but not sure you can edit a poll when it's posted.

You can't edit polls , since you can massively skew the results and manipulate them ( I assume).

Serghei for example could start a poll saying who is the best player between these 3 : CR7 , Raktic , Douglas. When CR7 gets most of the votes, he can remove Rakitic , Douglas and add Messi afterwards. :coffee:

Last edited:

DonAK

You can't edit polls , since you can massively skew the results and manipulate them ( I assume).

Serghei for example could start a poll saying who is the best player between these 3 : CR7 , Raktic , Douglas. When CR7 gets most of the votes, he can remove Rakitic , Douglas and add Messi afterwards. :coffee:

:lol:

Makes sense. Just post "Grimaldo" here and we'll count it by hand.

khaled_a_d

Sadly, I doubt that any of them will be an improvements over Alba.

Estupinan and Gaya would be my too 2.
Don't think Grimaldo is anywhere the level needed. I still think it was the right decision to let him go.

DonAK

Sadly, I doubt that any of them will be an improvements over Alba.

Estupinan and Gaya would be my too 2.
Don't think Grimaldo is anywhere the level needed. I still think it was the right decision to let him go.

Depends how you see it. Alba two years ago? Definitely not.

Alba this season? It's been perhaps his worst season in his career. Not even his cut backs to Messi have worked as I think he has one assist to Messi all season long. So what else does he contribute to the team?

Do you trust a 31 year old LB with a stinking attitude that relies on his pace with a career worst season to bounce back?

Messi983

@DonAK: Estupinan has a Spanish passport. He's the best defender amongst the players you've mentioned so I'd get him.

Home of Barca Fans