Ronald Koeman is new Barca manager

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Ronald Koeman has been appointed as the new manager of FC Barcelona.

Ronald-Koeman-player-640x400.jpg

The return home that Ronald Koeman always wanted materialized after Barca CL debacle to Bayern Munich last week.

Koeman, 57, has signed a two-year contract to manage Barcelona and the former Everton and Southampton manager has jumped at the chance to coach the team he played for from 1989-1995 and scored the winner in the Champions League final for in 1992. Koeman previously worked as the assistant coach to the first team and also as the manager of Barcelona's B team.

"It was an honor to be the national coach of the Netherlands. For the past two and a half years I have done everything I can to achieve successes", Koeman said. "I look back with pride on what we have achieved together in that period. The Dutch national team has a bright future, I am convinced of that. "Everyone knows that Barcelona is my dream club. It feels very special to me to be able to become a coach there."

His main focuses will be to build a new-look team around Lionel Messi (while keep the Argentine superstar happy), bring down the average age of the squad and to restore the Barcelona identity as someone who knows the club inside out. He is a figurehead for everything Barcelona stands for and he will have the immediate respect of the players. Maybe a big-name coach like this is what Messi and Co. need to snap out of their funk? They finished second in La Liga and reached the Champions League last eight once again, but things have just been drifting along for the Catalan giants.

The defender, nicknamed "Tintin", made 350 appearances and scored 106 goals as part of Johan Cruyff's "Dream Team" between 1989 and 1995 and claimed 10 trophies along the way – four league titles, a European Cup, a Copa del Rey, a European Super Cup and three Spanish Super Cups.

Morten

Silly of him to take the job before a new board is in place imo, but i guess he can make a few surprises.

snowy

YEAH Welcome! I'm stocked too. Boss Tintin and Milou will open a can of Bossa Nova whoopass

Neeraj

I wouldn't normally care for this appointment, but given the circumstances, it's okay. We needed somebody to oversee the 'transition' and someone who can take at least a few big calls if not all the ones needed, play some youngsters, and help move things along.

I don't think we are looking for someone to transform the way we play football and change our fortunes, that comes later anyway. So this is a good caretaker sort of job with a big name former player coach. If he can help us make a couple of smart signings while he's here, that's a bonus,

Daisymorr

He is a pretty big personality which is what we need. He needs to stand up to players and not be dominated in the team selection by the older guys.

i'm not sure what is playing style is like to be honest but I hope he goes with youth and energy in a 4-3-3.

Anyway who should he prioritise as his summer signing? I think Leizpzig's Upamecano would be the best choice. Given the fact Koeman was a CB himself hopefully he will realise the importance of a string CB. Then a ST

Andresito

Staff member
I just hope the reason for him being here is because he's eager to change and build a new team and not because it's just a move up in his career.

Kubala

He is a pretty big personality which is what we need. He needs to stand up to players and not be dominated in the team selection by the older guys.

i'm not sure what is playing style is like to be honest but I hope he goes with youth and energy in a 4-3-3.

Anyway who should he prioritise as his summer signing? I think Leizpzig's Upamecano would be the best choice. Given the fact Koeman was a CB himself hopefully he will realise the importance of a string CB. Then a ST

Yes! Upemecamo should be top priority, however I think maybe a temporary change to 4-2-3-1 to play Messi as No 10 behind someone with good movement and have energy and pace wide. Pjanic & De Jong as double pivot, Trincao/Dembele & Fati wide maybe?

Kubala

I just hope the reason for him being here is because he's eager to change and build a new team and not because it's just a move up in his career.

I think he realizes he is going to be the fall guy and stand up to the old guard before probably being replaced, but I think he's doing it because he genuinely loves the club. He still has BAR as his car plate apparently :lol:

mc_lovin

Yes! Upemecamo should be top priority, however I think maybe a temporary change to 4-2-3-1 to play Messi as No 10 behind someone with good movement and have energy and pace wide. Pjanic & De Jong as double pivot, Trincao/Dembele & Fati wide maybe?

Can we please stop this Messi as #10 nonsense?

mc_lovin

Why? Put Lautaro in front of him and when we defend, he and Messi need to switch positions.

Lets just call it a 442 and Messi 2nd striker then.

The problem with Messi as #10 is that he needs to actually play as a midfielder, make himself available, close gaps, basic #10 stuff. Messi standing upfront and occasionally falling back doesnt qualify for that. You dont want a #10 who doesnt do his midfield duties, the midfield will just get overrun. If we had the right wide players for a 442 (Rafinha in worldclass for example), I wouldnt mind a 442, but we have not. With modern wingers (Fati, Dembele, Trincao) you effectively get reduced to a two man midfield.

Kubala

Lets just call it a 442 and Messi 2nd striker then.

The problem with Messi as #10 is that he needs to actually play as a midfielder, make himself available, close gaps, basic #10 stuff. Messi standing upfront and occasionally falling back doesnt qualify for that. You dont want a #10 who doesnt do his midfield duties, the midfield will just get overrun. If we had the right wide players for a 442 (Rafinha in worldclass for example), I wouldnt mind a 442, but we have not. With modern wingers (Fati, Dembele, Trincao) you effectively get reduced to a two man midfield.

Not 442, 4231. Huge difference.

Home of Barca Fans