CL | 1/4 Final: FC Barcelona - FC Bayern Munich 2-8

JamDav1982

I dont think he gave up. He had a chance near the end and a few moments that he dropped deep to get the ball. His usual game. The midfield had no control with only 2 midfielders on at the end. It was very difficult for him to do more really. Not saying he couldn't have but it was tough with bayern dominating

He and Suarez could offer a lot more if they pressed as part of team and could move into space.

Messi definitely gave up and when walk about like and barely trying to offer options when team being murdered trying to get ball out from back it is not enough.

Definitely gave up long before game finished and as captain that is inexcusable no matter the score line.

serghei

Work rate should be non negotiable for a top team like Barca.

How many players tick the box of work rate/energy and technical ability? Barely any.

Fairly simple starting point to rebuild.. if cant tick both boxes then leave.

From this team? Semedo, Dembele (if fit), Griezmann, De Jong, Firpo, Lenglet, Araujo, Puig.

Not a single veteran is at the required level physically. Some are miles off and flat out lazy walkers (Messi, Suarez).

I would leave aside the quality discussion and first assemble the players who can run and can sustain proper training weekly with proper intensity levels for a whole game.

I know you don't like him, but Semedo - Dembele (if he stays fit) should be RB - RW pair based on pure fitness and athleticism.

Something like this. Roberto can rotate at RB and midfield.

1819240_FC_Barcelona.jpg

Last edited:

eaman

He and Suarez could offer a lot more if they pressed as part of team and could move into space.

Messi definitely gave up and when walk about like and barely trying to offer options when team being murdered trying to get ball out from back it is not enough.

Definitely gave up long before game finished and as captain that is inexcusable no matter the score line.

But isnt most of that his normal game. The defenders couldn't play out because setien decided to take off busquets and bring on another forward. I mean that was crazy management. 2 midfielders on at the end. No control in midfield made it hard for messi or any forward to get the ball

JamDav1982

But isnt most of that his normal game. The defenders couldn't play out because setien decided to take off busquets and bring on another forward. I mean that was crazy management. 2 midfielders on at the end. No control in midfield made it hard for messi or any forward to get the ball

He gave up and as I said whether before that is his normal game or not is irrelevant when it plays a part in Barca being as poor as a unit as they were yesterday.

Messi is still brilliant individually when gets on ball but his lack of movement is impacting how often that happens, where he receives ball and how team can attack with variety.

Also impacts team structure and pressing as a unit defensively.

Highlighted in big games how much it is failing in recent years and yesterday was worst example of it yet.

If Messis answer to midfield struggling to get him ball is to walk about in areas where cant hurt Bayern and not look to get on ball more and change that then that is a huge issue.

gasgas

...................ter stegen
Emmerson....Upmecano....Lenglet.....Cucurella
.................De jong.....Pjanic
Dembele........puig..........Adama
.....................Haaaland

All out attack, gegenpressing

Last edited:

eaman

He gave up and as I said whether before that is his normal game or not is irrelevant when it plays a part in Barca being as poor as a unit as they were yesterday.

Messi is still brilliant individually when gets on ball but his lack of movement is impacting how often that happens, where he receives ball and how team can attack with variety.

Also impacts team structure and pressing as a unit defensively.

Highlighted in big games how much it is failing in recent years and yesterday was worst example of it yet.

If Messis answer to midfield struggling to get him ball is to walk about in areas where cant hurt Bayern and not look to get on ball more and change that then that is a huge issue.

I understand what you're saying but doesnt he also get stick when he drops too deep to get the ball

Gaudi

JamDav1982

I understand what you're saying but doesnt he also get stick when he drops too deep to get the ball

He can drop deep but when he drops deep to just dribble ball or look to make risky passes all the time it doesnt help anyone.

Drop deep at times if Barca cant get out of half is different from dropping deep when Barca camped in oppositions half.

He was hiding and gave up.

Ritchie

Shades of Liverpool in the early 90s or Milan 10 years ago.

I was reading an article about Liverpool under Souness on The Athletic. He took over and saw an old team who had won everything but were 30+ and had lost their legs and lost their hunger. The rebuild job was just too big.

vlad

Im glad im not so much into football these days, because these is disturbing and i would probably lose hours, days, stressing on the forum.

Im more into rock climbing these days, adam ondra, megos, janja... and a bunch

I would recommed it to you also, its chill, no worries

JamDav1982

Pjanic is better than Busi/Rakitic etc and can run.

Also has a range of passing no one in this Barca team have.

He will improve the midfield and hopefully can free up FDJ a bit.

Not some huge answer but better than shit being served up in midfield just now.

mc_lovin

Im glad im not so much into football these days, because these is disturbing and i would probably lose hours, days, stressing on the forum.

Im more into rock climbing these days, adam ondra, megos, janja... and a bunch

I would recommed it to you also, its chill, no worries

Well, I am excited. Not depressed at all. Big changes ahead (hopefully).

Home of Barca Fans