7 - Ferran Torres 5.0 Great White Shark Edition

Co0ter

He did nothing at City to warrant a sizable transfer fee. Interesting player nonetheless, we just paid double what we should have. He was young and Spanish, that's about it. Halfway through I was still positive he would clean it up a bit, adapt to the team more and improve his finishing. However, all he did was get worse and worse as the season concluded, and that is on him.

Laplacian

Barcelona basing their transfers off the Spanish NT XI/potential XI is hilarious. One massive golden generation and they become obsessed with Spanish representation. Historically speaking an underachieving nation, and right now it seems like the NT has regressed to the mean with the kind of players they're fielding. None of them good enough for the level we're used to (2008/2012, 2014/2016), and instead of shopping all over Europe to attain that level once again we're headset on amassing mediocre Spanish players to fill our squad.

Fucking hell Adama Traore was a player people made fun of when he was in the CHAMPIONSHIPS, and he somehow ended up in this club. No matter how short that tenure was it's still a fucking embarrassment.

Literally, if it weren't the la masia and Spanish NT connection he would've never sniffed the reserves.

Abysmal transfer strategy.

Spending 60m on Torres is just the tip of it.

FinBarcelonafan

True. I understand, that you want to have a few homegrown players, but you don't need to have all the players from the same country. Madness. Especially when the generation isn't nearly as good as the "golden generation".

vuji_31

I am sad like they took money from my pocket and done the transfer.

But brace yourself, we will see many of these. Stupid board will make even worse transfers. Brace yourself when we fill club with average players like Rapinha and old vetarns like Azpilicueta and Alonso.

BBZ8800

True. I understand, that you want to have a few homegrown players, but you don't need to have all the players from the same country. Madness. Especially when the generation isn't nearly as good as the "golden generation".

It is obsession/delusion about Spanish/Barca DNA/TikiTaka, and Serghei's "if executed properly, nothing can beat TikiTaka".

Spain played that way since always, to some extent.
They have never won anything until Xavi-Iniesta-Busi generation.

There are two options:
1. Spanish style is the best and they were just unlucky or they need better players
2. Or more likely: that is an average style, the most often not good enough, which was turned into greatness by once in a century generation and the era when that style clicked perfectly (and wasn't figured out yet)

I am personally tired of Barca/Spain because it seems that for the next 10-20 years they'll be stuck in the same place, always chasing Pep's shadows and trying to replicate 2008-2012.

Laporta and Xavi are obsessed with Spanish players.
All of our coaches are still obsessed with Busi, as the last piece of a golden generation.

This delusion is quite tyresome.

Pep's era is the best and the worst thing which ever happened to Barca/Spain.

Pros = the best results ever
Cons = 50 years of mysery afterwards trying to replicate that era/being stuck in time while the opponents/football are evolving

Last edited:

Iniesta Ultra

It is obsession/delusion about Spanish/Barca DNA/TikiTaka, and Serghei's "if executed properly, nothing can beat TikiTaka".

Pep's era is the best and the worst thing which ever happened to Barca/Spain.

Pros = the best results ever
Cons = 50 years of mysery afterwards trying to replicate that era/being stuck in time while the opponents/football are evolving

Xavicross killed dna, midfield, and tiki taka. Not sure how your delusion about a fake delusion comes about but it's impressive.

iniestaGOAT

Best player vs Villarreal too
What you fools complaining about?

If you ask me he is one /3 reason we made it to top 4. Other two are xavi and auba

BBZ8800

Xavicross killed dna, midfield, and tiki taka. Not sure how your delusion about a fake delusion comes about but it's impressive.

Since 2012:
1. Barca couldn't replicate their golden era
2. Spain couldn't replicate their golden era
3. the only one who came close was Pep, but only in league competitions against weaker teams with ultra-rich teams

Barca had 10 CL attempts after 2012', 4 of them with MSN and 9 with Messi. 1 title.
Pep had 9 CL attempts after 2012'. 0 titles.
Spain had 5 WCs/Euros after 2012. 0 titles.

24 major tournaments. 1 win.
Yet, we are still trying to replicate 2008-2012.

Xavi's tenure is a perfect example of what is wrong around Barcelona, I have been repeating the same for a few years:
1. if you want to replicate EXACT copy of 2008-2012: you can't, because we don't have such players and we'll never have it again.
So, if you want to play Pep's football with current players, you'll get something like Setien's Barca at best.
2. if you want to move to something new, you'll get one of these propblems:
1) you'll either move away too much from Barca's values, like EV and you'll get hated by fans.
2) you'll try to create some weird mix of Barca's football and new ideas (like Xavi's crossing game played with 170cm tall Barca DNA players) = and then you'll get something which both doesn't look eye pleasing, results are shit, fans are mad and we aren't moving forward.

In short:
1. if you want to replicate the past = it won't work
2. if you want to move to something new = fans will be mad because fans want a return to 2008-2012 which is not working anymore

An eternal catch 22.
Welcome to Fc Barcelona.

Pep's era = heaven and death of Barca.

Raketa10

Since 2012:
1. Barca couldn't replicate their golden era
2. Spain couldn't replicate their golden era
3. the only one who came close was Pep, but only in league competitions against weaker teams with ultra-rich teams

Barca had 10 CL attempts after 2012', 4 of them with MSN and 9 with Messi. 1 title.
Pep had 9 CL attempts after 2012'. 0 titles.
Spain had 5 WCs/Euros after 2012. 0 titles.

24 major tournaments. 1 win.
Yet, we are still trying to replicate 2008-2012.

Xavi's tenure is a perfect example of what is wrong around Barcelona, I have been repeating the same for a few years:
1. if you want to replicate EXACT copy of 2008-2012: you can't, because we don't have such players and we'll never have it again.
So, if you want to play Pep's football with current players, you'll get something like Setien's Barca at best.
2. if you want to move to something new, you'll get one of these propblems:
1) you'll either move away too much from Barca's values, like EV and you'll get hated by fans.
2) you'll try to create some weird mix of Barca's football and new ideas (like Xavi's crossing game played with 170cm tall Barca DNA players) = and then you'll get something which both doesn't look eye pleasing, results are shit, fans are mad and we aren't moving forward.

In short:
1. if you want to replicate the past = it won't work
2. if you want to move to something new = fans will be mad because fans want a return to 2008-2012 which is not working anymore

An eternal catch 22.
Welcome to Fc Barcelona.

Pep's era = heaven and death of Barca.

Can you please tell me how is Xavi trying to replicate Pep's Barca? The way we are playing is not even similar to the way we played back than. We had like 1963716312 crosses per game and with PEP we had basically none. In addition to that, we are broke, so we are trying to sign free agents (Kessie & Christensen) and players who entered the last year of their contract (Alonso, Koulibaly, Lewa...). Where is that replication you are talking about because I seriously can't find any similarities between Pep's and Xavi's Barca? Furthermore, I am 100% sure that NO ONE cares and wants 2008-12 playing style back. People are not dumb, in general we all care only about results and good football.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Can you please tell me how is Xavi trying to replicate Pep's Barca? The way we are playing is not even similar to the way we played back than. We had like 1963716312 crosses per game and with PEP we had basically none. In addition to that, we are broke, so we are trying to sign free agents (Kessie & Christensen) and players who entered the last year of their contract (Alonso, Koulibaly, Lewa...). Where is that replication you are talking about because I seriously can't find any similarities between Pep's and Xavi's Barca? Furthermore, I am 100% sure that NO ONE cares and wants 2008-12 playing style back. People are not dumb, in general we all care only about results and good football.

Busi, Gavi, Pedri

There is no such team in the world with physique of those players.
Add Ferran's pace into that.

In general, all teams in the world moved to more physical players (between two players with technique 10/10 who have 5/10 and 9/10 physique, other teams are moving to players who are taller, stronger, faster, with insane stamina, defending etc).
Name me one top team in Europe who would play a profile of Torres in attack. A winger with no pace or dribbles.
Who on earth would play Busi, especially 34 years old Busi?
Barca-ballplaying CB Eric.
Barca-ballplaying GK MATS.

Should I even need to mention a part with no leaders, no fighting spirit, no aggression, just a bunch of nice choir boys, as always?

1. which top team has as many choir boys as us?
2. which top teams has shorter average height than us?
3. Busquets
4. technical, soft players

So, inspite of Xavi's crosses, there are tons of Barca DNA written all over our players, coach, president, socios, transfer policy.

People are not dumb, in general we all care only about results and good football.

Tata started well.
He didn't have possession, media went crazy.
EV was on top for 2 and a half season straight. Sacked because he didn't play beautiful Barca's way.

So, no.
Fans don't want a beautiful football.
They want only one version of a beautiful football.
You know which one that is.

Last edited:

Raketa10

Busi, Gavi, Pedri

There is no such team in the world with physique of those players.
Add Ferran's pace into that.

In general, all teams in the world moved to more physical players (between two players with technique 10/10 who have 5/10 and 9/10 physique, other teams are moving to players who are taller, stronger, faster, with insane stamina, defending etc).
Name me one top team in Europe who would play a profile of Torres in attack. A winger with no pace or dribbles.
Who on earth would play Busi, especially 34 years old Busi?
Barca-ballplaying CB Eric.
Barca-ballplaying GK MATS.

Should I even need to mention a part with no leaders, no fighting spirit, no aggression, just a bunch of nice choir boys, as always?

1. which top team has as many choir boys as us?
2. which top teams has shorter average height than us?
3. Busquets
4. technical, soft players

So, inspite of Xavi's crosses, there are tons of Barca DNA written all over our players, coach, president, socios, transfer policy.

Tata started well.
He didn't have possession, media went crazy.
EV was on top for 2 and a half season straight. Sacked because he didn't play beautiful Barca's way.

So, no.
Fans don't want a beautiful football.
They want only one version of a beautiful football.
You know which one that is.

I get your point BBZ but you have to admit that this is also due to our financial problems. Busi is playing because we have no other option. Same goes for Pique. Gavi got his chance because Pedri was injured for half of the season. There was actually no one except Gavi that could step in. We simply didn't have a better solution. I am sure Xavi is aware of this so he requested stronger and taller players with stronger personalities like Kessie, Koulibaly, Alonso or Lewa or faster ones like Raphinha. Regarding your comment on Torres, I also don't like him, but he played for City didn't he and I would say that they are a top team?

I am 100% sure that Xavi and Alemany would rather sign Mbappe than Raphinha or Haaland than old Lewa or someone better than Christensen but the fact is that we don't have money so we are desperately trying to improve our squad with affordable solutions. IMHO we should all accept the fact that it will take a couple of seasons until we can again start to compete on the highest level.

Regarding Tata Martino, I agree that he had an okayish season but we had a MUCH stronger team back than so loosing all titles that year was a pretty big failure.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

There are plenty of top teams with players of similar builds to Pedri and Gavi...Modric, Foden, B Silva etc.

That is absolutely false to suggest other clubs dont have those types of players while other top teams would take Pedri and Gavi in an instant.

The issue is when dont balance midfield with others that bring more physical elements... City have Rodri, Real have Casimero/Camavinga etc and Barca have the worst speciemen will see in any top league at DM in Busquets.

Torres for City scored 16 goals at 21 for Spain was their best player last year and was goo for Valencia also. The issue is if Xavi thinks he bought him to be an isolated winger who drives at teams from touchline he has got it wrong.

If/when Dembele leaves and if Barca get Lewandowski the wide options will most likley be Fati, Torres, Raphinha (if signed) and even Auba as an option.... every one of those are wide forwards or AMs that want to cut in and be in and around box. If Barca try to play this wide wingers style not only is it abysmal tactical set up with obviuous flaws but dont even have wingers who go on outside to play it.

If Fati/Torres/Raphinha and Auba are wider options the team absolutely needs FBs that can take width and get forward to get them narrower and nearer opposition area.

That in turn allows midfield to be a midfield and not Xavis positional cones trying to help CF and get inbetween lines holding position rather than trying to help give options to Busi and create combinations/overloads in middle of park to creat space.

But no... Barca are not going for full backs of any quality.. they are trying to renew an Alves who cant run, pay Roberto 6m a season and sign full backs who are in their 30s and will have same issue of getting up and providing width.

Barca never learna and double down on old players that lack the basics and bring in players to play positions they never have before joining the club.

Same year after year and nothing ever done to fix it.

This summer just looks lik more of same and hiding behind finances for the failures.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans