Quique Setien

xXKonan

I have no idea how Valverde even got cult status with certain fans on here and everywhere else. And the idea of someone like Seiten who's himself follows Cruyff principles is somehow satan to these people.

Like do they really enjoy having a team that cannot pass, control or do anything for shit other than possibly win games due to individual brilliance? How is that even worth defending someone over Valverde for? I'm not saying Setien is a guaranteed success but I cannot believe there are people willing to still stan for that clown and the bullshit he put out in the last two years.

Valverde got lucky he didn't get the sack much earlier. He had been riding his luck for ages now and everyone knew his luck would run out eventually as Messi won't always be there to bail him out.

Tackle

Sorry for being blunt, but the content posted by the pro-Valverde camp these years has been the lowest quality I've ever seen on this forum in 7 years. I hoped this shit would stop, and we would all get back together and support the team towards what we all want to achieve. Playing entertaining football, winning games our way, and being a team nobody wants to face in CL again.

But, no. Even after Valverde is gone, the same posters who showed incredible leniency towards Valverde - who hasn't fixed anything in 2.5 years regarding how this team plays and prepares games - are ready now to pin this season on Setien. Before he even played a game.

Un-fucking-believable.

You've been hyping up this current Madrid side to the moon and back the past few days. Reality is there is no basis to warrant this undeserved hype regardless of the fact they won some glorified SuperCopa in the Middle East that they had no business being a part of in the first place.

Real Madrid, much like us are pacing at 80 points for the season. That is what Valverde managed to do in his worst moments with the club. If Setien cannot best that then he needs to be kicked to the curb and we should look for a more qualified manager.

This bloke is not a Klopp we are talking about where it is justifiable to put up with a few bare years in the hopes of building something greater. He is a 61 year old journey-man that has done nothing noteworthy in his career thus far. His work at Las Palmas and Betis mean nothing to a club of this stature. He has been given the opportunity of a lifetime and the onus is on him to prove himself, and prove himself quickly.

KingLeo10

The only ones still cartwheeling for EV are cucks or Madridistas. The reason why should be apparent on both fronts.

:lol:

Devils

"If Valverde blows a 3-0 first leg at Ainfield then he's out the door, simple as.

If 99% of managers who played in the history of CL could do it, then surely Valverde can do it with his incredible management"

You'd never hear that sort of logic from a Valverde apologist applied to Valverde himself, dawg.

KingLeo10

I generally like Hamzah's posts about needing a true workhorse (prime Lampard, Vidal, Kante, Makelele, Essien type), but this extreme opinion "if Setien can't deliver LL in 6 months" is inexplicable.

Nobody thinks Barca is Arsenal. The expectation is always to win big trophies or compete hard for them. I don't see where the notion is coming from that we only need to play aesthetic football.

It's aesthetic football in the service of winning. We can always control the aesthetic football. Sometimes our rivals are super strong and even our best level isn't enough. For example, Pool is currently too strong for any version of current Barca to beat. We'd only beat them if we had Kloppo and they didn't.

The problem people have with EV is HOW he lost in the CL. From a stat point of view, we only 'lost' by 1 goal each to Roma/Pool. In the case of Pool, losing by 1 goal to the eventual champion is not so bad right? WRONG. Because we served up chokes of the tier only surpassed/equalled by QSG in recent times and Milan in the 00s. Those are historic humiliations from a position of 99% security. And the same mistakes were repeated both seasons. Maybe 1 could be excused. Maybe. But never 2.

serghei

Also, if these guys think we're gonna support Setien for years if he is another Valverde... man... they are clueless. We're hopeful now, because we got rid of Valverde, and this guy seems like a good fit, but he'll be under scrutiny from day one.

KingLeo10

Fun fact,

We lost the tie by 1 goal to Inter, Chelsea, Roma, and Pool.

In the first 2, NOT a single person on Earth thought we were the inferior team. It was missed penalties, fluffed chances, randomness, and referee error.

In the latter 2, we were dunked on by every single opponent fanbase for being chokers and rightfully so.

That's the difference between Pep and EV.

Tackle

It's funny how quickly the narrative has shifted from:

"The only reason Valverde is winning La Ligas is because of Messi and weak opposition, so it doesn't matter and ANY manager can do it. The CL is what matters."

to

"Setien cannot be expected to deliver a league title even though he took over while we are at the top of the table. Madrid look strong. Let's hope for better football and give him time. A trophyless season is okay."

And if you call this blatant hypocrisy out you are branded an EV apologist.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I’m not really defending valverde as much as I’m expecting the same standard to be applied to the new manager.

If valverde is pure garbage and bailed out by Messi then what does that make setien if he fails to win a league against Madrid clubs that are still as weak as they were the last two seasons?

It shouldn’t be one standard for setien and another for valverde, just because one fits with your ethos of how to play football.

Last edited:

serghei

"The only reason Valverde is winning La Ligas is because of Messi and weak opposition, so it doesn't matter and ANY manager can do it. The CL is what matters."

to

"Setien cannot be expected to deliver a league title even though he took over while we are at the top of the table. Madrid look strong. Let's hope for better football and give him time. A trophyless season is okay."

Perfect example of another dumb post in the pro-Valverde anthology on Barcaforum.

Do you believe current Madrid is much stronger than last season Madrid? If yes, half of your post is wrong from the start and you are guilty of manipulating the truth in order to fit an agenda. If no, you are just clueless.

So, which is it?

I’m not really defending valverde as much as I’m expecting the same standard to be applied to the new manager.

If valverde is pure garbage and bailed out by Messi then what does that make setien if he fails to win a league against Madrid clubs that are still as weak as they were the last two seasons?

Too late. It was a cheap irony towards a new manager who hasn't managed a single game for us. Also, nobody in their right mind thinks Madrid is not a whole tier above what they were last season. I mean it's not possible to really think current Madrid are as good as the last season Madrid.

Last season we beat them 5-1 easily. Now they dominated on Camp Nou with some of their best players missing, while we had a full team. How can you even compare the two?

Last edited:

serghei

You say you want the same standard to be applied to the new manager. In what season did Valverde have to take over a team in the middle of the season, without any transfers, without any preseason, and with the 2nd best scorer out for the season?

This is anything but fair.

KingLeo10

to

The expectation is always to win. But the strength of rivals matters.

If RM put up a 90 point season, Setien can't be held COMPLETELY responsible for not being able to dig out of the hole EV created so far.

if RM put up a 80 point season, the expectation is to win and he will be judged harshly if he doesn't. Rightfully so.

By the logic of only looking at title wins, you'd have fired Klopp for putting up 97 points last season but coming in 2nd.

It's pretty straightforward. Us EV 'haters' are reasonable. EV's fanclub is the one doing cartwheels.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
You say you want the same standard to be applied to the new manager. In what season did Valverde have to take over a team in the middle of the season, without any transfers, without any preseason, and with the 2nd best scorer out for the season?

This is anything but fair.

Those are fair points, I’ll give you that this is an unstable season which can affect the final outcome

messi2140

6racies Xavi
I know one thing , if I see Setien doing a horrible job at the end of year or going for some questionable decisions in a few months I will call him out instead of cheerleading for him and pulling some random stats that look in favour of Setien.

I urge these Valverde cheerleaders to join a greek football forum like this one http://forums.phantis.com/forum/173-soccer/

Home of Barca Fans