Quique Setien

Rory

A fair statement would be “I expect Setien to achieve the same amount of points Valverde got in the first half of the season”.

Even still, joining a team halfway through a season with vastly different methods to the previous manager AND with the striker who has lead our frontline for half a decade injured means maybe it will be difficult.

Setien enters a far more difficult situation to what Valverde did and it’s not a comparison.

Setien needs to fight for every title and not get poor results that’s it.

KingLeo10

I know one thing , if I see Setien doing a horrible job at the end of year or going for some questionable decisions in a few months I will call him out instead of cheerleading for him and pulling some random stats that look in favour of Setien.

Exactly THIS.

My loyalties lie with Barca and what's in the best interest of Barca. I've occasionally even called out Messi and he is just about a deity in terms of his contribution to this club.

One thing I never understood from EV stans,

If you're going to cult for someone, we have a whole hall of legendary players and managers to choose from. Why EV? Is it simple narcissism from the fact that you are going 'against the mould'. It has to be. The guy isn't even Barca manager right now and we have people jumping to his defense.

serghei

Those are fair points, I’ll give you that this is an unstable season which can affect the final outcome

That it is. It doesn't mean we should accept finishing the season on our knees in a much worse shape than we are now. But in principle, the guy, if we are to judge him fairly, should get 1 full season. In other words, except for a really terrible 6 months, I'd give him the 2020/21 season before judging him.

Also, this is not Valverde vs Setien.

It's already settled that Valverde was a good stabilizing manager in his first season, but a manager who showed his big limitations in the 2nd season (after seeing a glimpse of those limitations vs Roma), and was leading the team towards a really bad 3rd season.

So, we know pretty much everything about Ernie the Barca manager. His good points, his many limitations, his personality and his lack of leadership.

This is to see if Setien is good enough to be more than just a transition manager to somebody else in 1.5 years max.

Marshall D Teach

If Setien embarasses us in the CL the way Valverde did, fans will turn on him and rightfully so. Especially if it happens twice in a row.

My expectations are compete for La Liga, get past Napoli in the CL and don’t get humiliated in the later rounds.

serghei

If Setien embarasses us in the CL the way Valverde did, fans will turn on him and rightfully so. Especially if it happens twice in a row.

My expectations are compete for La Liga, get past Napoli in the CL and don’t get humiliated in the later rounds.

Same. Exactly this. I want immediate impact in CL though. No more 0-4 losses the moment we meet a top team in a knockout round. I'm sick of that.

KingLeo10

Getting embarrassed in the CL is the key for me and most fans.

Lucho got a LOT OF vitriol in 16/17 when we started getting embarrassed in the CL away games (0-4 PSG, 0-3 Juve). So much so, he announced he was stepping down in March I think. And this is after he (well mostly MSN) put together the most dominant club football season ever. Good on the man, though, he had shame.

We'll get our answer on where Setien falls in the Napoli away tie. Another humiliation and it's time to bring out the pitchforks.

soul24rage

My expectations exactly.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
That it is. It doesn't mean we should accept finishing the season on our knees in a much worse shape than we are now. But in principle, the guy, if we are to judge him fairly, should get 1 full season. In other words, except for a really terrible 6 months, I'd give him the 2020/21 season before judging him.

Also, this is not Valverde vs Setien.

It's already settled that Valverde was a good stabilizing manager in his first season, but a manager who showed his big limitations in the 2nd season (after seeing a glimpse of those limitations vs Roma), and was leading the team towards a really bad 3rd season.

So, we know pretty much everything about Ernie the Barca manager. His good points, his many limitations, his personality and his lack of leadership.

This is to see if Setien is good enough to be more than just a transition manager to somebody else in 1.5 years max.

I agree with this as well

My original post was quite trolling/sarcastic, but the underlying point of it was that the new manager shouldn’t just have a “free pass” because his style is more palatable. The jury is out on him. The contract is structured well actually. He gets six months initially, then if that goes well two seasons with a preseasons and transfer windows, then if he developed the team well enough a further two seasons.

serghei

I agree with this as well

My original post was quite trolling/sarcastic, but the underlying point of it was that the new manager shouldn’t just have a “free pass” because his style is more palatable. The jury is out on him. The contract is structured well actually. He gets six months initially, then if that goes well two seasons with a preseasons and transfer windows, then if he developed the team well enough a further two seasons.

And he won't. We are the no1 club in terms of revenue and popularity. We can afford to chase both goals: winning titles and playing nice, entertaining football.

Also, a style is not really more palatable if it doesn't produce great wins. Sometimes there is a bad definition of what entertaining football is for Barca, because entertaining football is only entertaining for an elite club if it's producing titles and wins.

Last edited:

Tackle

The expectation is always to win. But the strength of rivals matters.

If RM put up a 90 point season, Setien can't be held COMPLETELY responsible for not being able to dig out of the hole EV created so far.

if RM put up a 80 point season, the expectation is to win and he will be judged harshly if he doesn't. Rightfully so.

By the logic of only looking at title wins, you'd have fired Klopp for putting up 97 points last season but coming in 2nd.

It's pretty straightforward. Us EV 'haters' are reasonable. EV's fanclub is the one doing cartwheels.

There is no "hole" for Setien to dig himself out of. That implies we are at a disadvantage compared to Madrid, which is simply not the case. Very few managers in history have taken a new job mid-season with such favourable conditions.

For Setien this is a 19 game new season where both us and Madrid are at 0 points. We are still in both major cup competitions with favourable draws as well. I will judge him accordingly. There will and should not be any "woe is me" treatment given to Qique.

Madrid will not finish with 90 points as it would require them playing at a 100 point pace the second half of the season. They are in no condition to do that. If they by some miracle manage to pull off the aforementioned and Setien has this team playing at a 97 point pace while losing the title then there will be no complaints from me. Spare me with the extreme hypotheticals mate.

I have been told for months on end how great this billion euro squad is and how every floundering player would magically grow a pair of wings under ANY new manager. Let's see how this goes.

KingLeo10

There is no "hole" for Setien to dig himself out of. That implies we are at a disadvantage compared to Madrid, which is simply not the case. Very few managers in history have taken a new job mid-season with such favourable conditions.

For Setien this is a 19 game new season where both us and Madrid are at 0 points. We are still in both major cup competitions with favourable draws as well. I will judge him accordingly. There will and should not be any "woe is me" treatment given to Qique.

Madrid will not finish with 90 points as it would require them playing at a 100 point pace the second half of the season. They are in no condition to do that. If they by some miracle manage to pull off the aforementioned and Setien has this team playing at a 97 point pace while losing the title then there will be no complaints from me. Spare me with the extreme hypothetical mate.

I have been told for months on end how great this billion euro squad and how every floundering player would magically grow a pair of wings under ANY new manager. Let's see how this goes.

I didn't give you ONLY the hypothetical extreme.

I gave you 2 scenarios (80 points and 90 points for RM) and told you how I'd judge Setien under each. And as far as I see, we agree on the assessment.

You're looking for victimization when there is none.

serghei

I have been told for months on end how great this billion euro squad and how every floundering player would magically grow a pair of wings under ANY new manager. Let's see how this goes.

A lie and you know it. We don't want any manager. We want a top manager. There is a big difference between 'any' and 'top'. That's like saying you'd marry any women, vs you'd marry Margot Robbie. Does these sound the same to you, or do they seem easy to confuse?

KingLeo10

Mood of the EV cult right now:

kRSMAEpf_o.jpg

Tackle

I didn't give you ONLY the hypothetical extreme.

I gave you 2 scenarios (80 points and 90 points) and told you how I'd judge Setien under each. And as far as I see, we agree on the assessment.

You're looking for victimization when there is none.

I think it's implied in my initial post when I say I expect Setien to win the league I am not accounting for scenarios where by which Madrid turn the clock back to 2012. Since I seemingly have to spell every word out for you how about I say either I expect us to win the league title this season or lose while playing at least at a 90 point pace?

The wretched "Shitverde" averaged 90 points his first two seasons. My expectations for Setien will be to match the same pace.

Home of Barca Fans