Quique Setien

El Gato

Villarato!
I do not see how we can expect glorious things from this squad unless a dramatic reshape is done, lets hope Setien is the guy who can deliver it.

Setien won't reshape shit and will get sacked pronto if all Barca do is play banter crowdpleasing football that you guys on the forum rave over just because you've been bored to death in front of your TVs. If he ends up with nothing and all he does is demand things the players/club deem impossible, he'll be out after 6 months.

Socios are idiots who jump around with their priorities, but some have been pretty crystal clear:
1st - don't get embarrassed by Spanish rivals
2nd - win domestic trophies
3rd - contend in Europe
4th - style and squad shape

If Setien fails on both top priorities, socios will join the anti-Barto movement making him seek a new solution.

LeeRomeno

Very good post, although I do think Pep's Barca from 09-11 were quite direct when they needed to be especially when they had Henry,Eto'o and later on Villa. However, the success of tiki-taka seemed to drown out all the other successful elements of those teams and by 11/12 season we were cramming in 5 or so midfielders into a line up all with similar physicality and attributes. Pressing lost intensity, the possession game slowed down and become predictable also powerful players e.g Henry,Eto'o, Toure were gone.

Well to some extent, but i remember some interview, when someone told that Pep was angry if someone actually had a try for a long-shot, instead of passing to someone running into area. Out of Pep era, i think i enjoyed the first year probably most, Iniestas goal against Chelsea is probably my all time favorite Barcelona moment.

serghei

Lol, Wolfe, who said Setien doesn't have to produce titles? It's just that he has to win them by playing good football because Messi will be 33 soon.

Playing like shit and being saved by Messi almost every week is starting to not be feasible. Even in La Liga, let alone CL where it has proven to be a terrible plan.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

Messi has gotten sexier over time.

Don’t know what you mean....

El Gato

Villarato!
Lol, Wolfe, who said Setien doesn't have to produce titles?

Several people here directly said or otherwise implied they expect nothing of this 6 months bar attractive style and some speak as if regardless of what happens he would get a shot at reshaping the team as he desires come summer time. All I'm saying is - good luck with that.

serghei

Several people here directly said or otherwise implied they expect nothing of this 6 months bar attractive style and some speak as if regardless of what happens he would get a shot at reshaping the team as he desires come summer time. All I'm saying is - good luck with that.

Key words being 6 months. If he stays past these 6 months he will have as objective winning La Liga and competing for CL in 2021, regardless of what his style is.

He will try to win titles this season too and he is expected to fight for titles until the end, but it is not a tragedy if he ends up trophyless if the team shows encouraging signs for 2020/2021.

serghei

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Some of the best users here have accepted the possibility of a trophyless season.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Setien needs to win the league or he’s out the door, simple as.

If it was so easy that valverde could do it then surely setien can do it with his magnificent style.

serghei

Setien needs to win the league or he’s out the door, simple as.

If it was so easy that valverde could do it then surely setien can do it with his magnificent style.

Lol. Rubbish. Worst half a season by far in the last 12 seasons and you want this guy to guarantee you the league with the mess Valverde left?

How typical from a Valverde apologist.

serghei

Sorry for being blunt, but the content posted by the pro-Valverde camp these years has been the lowest quality I've ever seen on this forum in 7 years. I hoped this shit would stop, and we would all get back together and support the team towards what we all want to achieve. Playing entertaining football, winning games our way, and being a team nobody wants to face in CL again.

But, no. Even after Valverde is gone, the same posters who showed incredible leniency towards Valverde - who hasn't fixed anything in 2.5 years regarding how this team plays and prepares games - are ready now to pin this season on Setien. Before he even played a game.

Un-fucking-believable.

serghei

He has balls the size of Camp Nou if he plays Puig in his first game. Compared with the balls of Valverde who are about as big as the ball in our crest on the shirt.

Home of Barca Fans