Quique Setien

JohnN

We have fitness issues for sure, but watching the cl and el matches this week, it's obvious we still have a really technical squad compared to most. Intensity wise we are lacking though and out technical advantage is not so great to compensate for that.

Messigician

Carles Pérez (on loan at AS Roma): "Barça talk a lot about La Masia and in the end they prove the opposite. They told me 10 days before the market shut down that they didn't count on me, when the new coach had been there for a while." [md]

serghei

Anyone expecting Barca to have dramatically improved fitness levels after a month of Setien considering 2 1/2 years of Valverde probably also believe in the Easter Bunny

Yea, that's what I'm afraid too. How do you play like a fast and fit team after 2 years of lax training session with slow rondos and frequent days off? Seems near impossible. Which is why we need to refine our possession game as much as possible, to at least protect the defense the best we can.

The only way I can see this going forward this season is, even if people don't like it (and I myself am not a fan), risk as little as possible in build-up. The risk taking has to be made according to the team's energy and fitness state. If these are low, and they undeniable are, the risk has to be considerably lower. Because if the risk goes up, so do the turnovers and lost balls, and then what? The opponent is faster and stronger, and they will create chances based on these risk-related errors (either team error, or individual error). This translates basically to recycle possession whenever in doubt or in the slightest danger of losing the ball. Because as soon as the ball is lost, we lack the intensity, the work-rate, the energy to counter-press and get the ball back.

When we get that intensity and work-rate back, and I hope we do as soon as next season, then we can risk more, because we are better equipped physically to deal with turnovers and lost possession.

The best course of action for Setien is to recycle possession whenever in trouble. This will lead to relatively low chances games, but I'd take a 6-2 chances games, than a 12-8. If we up the fitness and energy level, then we can aim for 10-2, or 12-4 types of games in terms of chances. Because we'll benefit from the increased risk of pass due to being prepared to deal with lost balls in a more swift manner.

Last edited:

serghei

Carles Pérez (on loan at AS Roma): "Barça talk a lot about La Masia and in the end they prove the opposite. They told me 10 days before the market shut down that they didn't count on me, when the new coach had been there for a while." [md]

Lol, this means the new coach gave him a fair shot before announcing him he wasn't needed. And he failed to convince him. He was the worst player on the team vs Ibiza, with 17 year old Fati playing much better than him.

Last edited:

serghei

I think we had games where we played better than today. But the difference is today we were more clinical and shot way more on target.

We were rather slow and apathetic and this gave Eibar too many easy chances.

In a way it's good we won this easily without too much effort, but going into these next 2 games, which are key, we need to be sharper and run more.

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I think we had games where we played better than today. But the difference is today we were more clinical and shot way more on target.

We were rather slow and apathetic and this gave Eibar too many easy chances.

I think we consciously turned it down after the first half to conserve energy. We sliced through the Eibar press at ease after the first shaky 15 mins.

serghei

I think we consciously turned it down after the first half to conserve energy. We sliced through the Eibar press at ease after the first shaky 15 mins.

Yea, probably. But I also thought the same with EV, that we were conserving energy for the next game, the bigger one, and we showed up looking slow and fucking lazy in that game as well. I wanna see us matching Napoli in terms of intensity. I've been waiting to see us away in a CL knockout game playing on even terms physically with these teams for ages.

serghei

We definitely conserved energy today. Now 2 days rest and a trip to Napoli. I think we'll be ok.

I hope so. To be honest, games like Eibar at home are too good not to conserve energy in, considering the next two games are key for the season.

Devils

Incredible job in his first month in charge.

-Terrible injuries to key squad players
-Scandal after scandal January
-Barcelona in institutional crisis with huge pressure for the President and Board to resign.

Despite all that, still managed to overtake Real Madrid in the league.

#SetienSquad we move!

Home of Barca Fans