Copa America 2020

BarcaOG

Banned
I dont count that one in the same way, you dont choose your nationality, while on the club level its a more even playing field.
Take Haaland, for one, he is never going to accomplish anything much at the NT, it will be unfair to compare his NT career to Mbappe.

sure, but its not like messi plays for angola. hes playing for argentina, which produces many many talented players. so i do think its relevant in his case

KingLeo10

ill be convinced when he starts scoring decisive penalties consistently, wins anything with argentina, and takes barca to another CL. if not, then well always be a world class player for me, but far and away from the goat. that label has to mean something.

Nah, you can keep your opinion.

But, I'll always point out that people with far more footballing credentials have a different take on it and consider him easily GOAT tier. After all, that's evidence too. And a LOT (as in many, many people) of it.

Rory

If Higuian scores 1/4 easy chances he was given then it'd all be over. Similarly if Eder doesn't score the greatest goal he will ever score in his life in injury time, people wouldn't get to pretend CR7 won Portugal a trophy. Smallest of margins, and yet more proof (like with the whole UCL debates) that only if your teammates perform are you going to win anything.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

If Higuian scores 1/4 easy chances he was given then it'd all be over. Similarly if Eder doesn't score the greatest goal he will ever score in his life in injury time, people wouldn't get to pretend CR7 won Portugal a trophy. Smallest of margins, and yet more proof (like with the whole UCL debates) that only if your teammates perform are you going to win anything.

In WC 2014 final argentinia had several great opportunities to score but they missed. I think Palacio had the best chance to score.

Vilarrubi

Spot on.

Higuain or Palacio score those chances and Messi is considered the GOAT by everyone yet when you put it like that it seems ridiculous to be judged on that. That’s why consistency at highest level>winning a one off tournament.

snowy

EL7OjxtXYAA_fTx.jpg
yeahhh... he da GOAT that carries the other GOATS :rambo:

Is there even another sport where individual talent has so little impact or plays a lesser role in match results? I dunno? maybe Cornish Hurling or Elephant Polo :thinking:

Too many ifs & variants to base on results alone Players on the field, refs and var, which way the wind and Lady Luck blow, grass length hehe, pitch dimensions, scoring ops...

If anything, I?d say Messi is UNDERRATED, no joke. It?s not ?bout a trophy count, it's about the wizardry

3:30 Alien Nation!!! :amazed:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Lets be honest, Khedira is better than Messi because of his WC win.....

Just a joke my friend [MENTION=19457]KingLeo10[/MENTION] so a hate post against me isnt necessary :koeman: :lol:

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans