Erling Braut Haaland

khaled_a_d

Well, I don't give a fuck about what socios want.
Maybe after years of 'corruption' of Barca ideology, they see the 'Galactico' policy (which is a Madritista ideology through and through) as desired.

1-Galactico was Barca ideology long before RM, it only became a RM ideology after Perez, we were there before it.

2-You don't care about what socios want? that is cool but you know who care about their opinion? Barca board, current one, past one and future one. The club being owned by members mean there is always politics in it. No way around it.
It is like the argument you used with the Russian/Ukraine war. There is the ethics and moral we want and there is reality.
Reality is that the club we root for is a galactico oriented one.

Start with the example of the best Barca of the century: tell them that Pep booted the Galacticos (Ronnie, Eto'o, Deco) and build with hard-work and Masia soldiers

And Pep himself promoted Messi as best player and star player of the team, he also bought Ibra for zillions when he booted Eto. Ronnie and Deco were old farts who were past their primes with replacement already in the team. Never mind paying loads of money for Cesc and Sanchez

Well, the answer is that it shouldn't be desired, as it's not the most effective (the most effective is highest returns policy: hence Liverpool's and Bayern's), and it goes AGAINST club's ideology traditionally.

For the record, people need to slow down with the whole Liverpool thing.
They bought Firmino, Mane, Salah in 2015, 2016, 2017 with each one becoming the transfer record for the club, any of those 3 would have been Barca 4th biggest ever transfer after Suarez, Neymar & Ibra. They weren't that bargain when they bought them, they were expensive signing.
Then they bought VVD as most expensive defender ever, smashed a 17 year record for GK with ALison. They were never a club afraid of splashing big money on players. That is actually how they made their success.
But just like any success story, their gambles worked out because they knew what they were doing. And at the end they have only 1 EPL and 1 CL title to show for it so far

Barcilliant

1-Galactico was Barca ideology long before RM, it only became a RM ideology after Perez, we were there before it.

2-You don't care about what socios want? that is cool but you know who care about their opinion? Barca board, current one, past one and future one. The club being owned by members mean there is always politics in it. No way around it.
It is like the argument you used with the Russian/Ukraine war. There is the ethics and moral we want and there is reality.

And Pep himself promoted Messi as best player and star player of the team, he also bought Ibra for zillions when he booted Eto. Ronnie and Deco were old farts who were past their primes with replacement already in the team. Never mind paying loads of money for Cesc and Sanchez

They bought Firmino, Mane, Salah in 2015, 2016, 2017 with each one becoming the transfer record for the club, any of those 3 would have been Barca 4th biggest ever transfer after Suarez, Neymar & Ibra. They weren't that bargain when they bought them, they were expensive signing.
Then they bought VVD as most expensive defender ever, smashed a 17 year record for GK with ALison. They were never a club afraid of splashing big money on players. That is actually how they made their success.
But just like any success story, their gambles worked out because they knew what they were doing. And at the end they have only 1 EPL and 1 CL title to show for it so far

Won the league cup too but I get your point.

Birdy

1) Yes, we are run by socios.
Just as RM is. I don't remember uncle Flo asking them if they want X or Y thing, but rather moving on and imposing what he wants on them.
And does it work in the end? Well, hell yes if the club succeeds, it works, and no one complains about it!

Pragmatically speaking then (and not ethically), it CAN be done tomorrow..

2) How is our ideology Galactico and not RMs?
They were prizing away big starts since Di Stefano and Puskas, from what I know
Let alone the modern era, where RM is 100% Galactico ideology, with Perez re-defining it to the extreme
On the contrary, since Cryuf became Barca manager at least, Barca was not about mega-superstar-marque signing but rather the Guardiolas popping up from our youth ranks.
That doesn't mean that we were not making signing in GENERAL> But rather, that the central thrust of our philosophy was not about luring superstars

3) Pep MADE Messi the star of the team, he didn't BUY Messi as a marque0mega signing. HUGE DIFFERENCE between the two.
And when he made MEssi star of the team, this NEVER EVER happened at the expense of the team, like it does when you prioritize the Galactico, rather than the team
Ibra was the biggest transfer mistake Pep ever made, we can forgive him one.
Cesc and Alexis were bought as simple cogs in the wheel, far from any insinuation that they will be 'Galacticos'.
In general, you don't seem to have the 'Galactico' concept correct in your mind.
See below

4) You get it completely wrong here!

Some facts:
-> Costing money DOES NOT equal marquee signing/Galactico. The criteria are much more strict on what constitutes Galactico
-> Making carefully calculated expenditure on signings that are ALWAYS what a team needs and lacks (like VVD, Allison, Salah) has nothing to do with a Galactico policy
-> No, you are terribly underestimating Klopp here if you think that only due to the signings Liverpool created this team.
Remember Coutinho under Klopp and under Barca coaches? Yeah, that's the difference between a WC player and a meh player
-> No, Liverpool is a success story, you would be blind not to admit so.
From 4th-7th places with questionable football To EPL-CL contenders every season with scintillating football. ABYSMALL DIFFERENCE
And the only reason they don't have more (at least) EPLs the last 4 years is because of another generational coach and team PEp's City

This is the high returns model, not some outdated Galactico shit that Laporta craves, and if he wants to bring permanent and lasting success to the club, he should sit down and STUDY how Liverpool did it.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Must be any time now that it will be stated that Barca cant afford Haaland but he wanted to come.

Laporta when asked to sign Haaland by fans wagging his finger to say 'no' then rubbing fingers and thumb to say 'cash'.

Its over and they can stop pretending now.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Real will buy Mbappe but Haaland would be probably the better option. Why? Because Vini is playing on left side where Mbappe needs to play so one of them (it will be Vini) has to play on right side which isnt their natural position. Benz is good but already 33, they will need a replacement for him.

Iniesta Ultra

Real will buy Mbappe but Haaland would be probably the better option. Why? Because Vini is playing on left side where Mbappe needs to play so one of them (it will be Vini) has to play on right side which isnt their natural position. Benz is good but already 33, they will need a replacement for him.

I see Benz keeping up the goals for another two years.

Iniesta Ultra

His Champions League performances will slowly decline but he'll still get them goals in the league at a decent rate.

Very few players score a lot in the CL after ageing

If Mbappe comes and his would-be-goals turn into Mbappe assists, I won't consider that a decline in his performance. I see his G+A sum staying relatively consistent assuming RM's midfield holds up. Right now only see Camavinga as a solid replacement for the grandpas.

Temptation

If Mbappe comes and his would-be-goals turn into Mbappe assists, I won't consider that a decline in his performance. I see his G+A sum staying relatively consistent assuming RM's midfield holds up. Right now only see Camavinga as a solid replacement for the grandpas.

Fair enough and I'd agree with that.

You mean that one way or another Benzema will be useful for Real for a few more years.

Andresito

Staff member
I've given up on him.

I do believe we can afford him, but at the expense of a lot of things: other new signings, renewals and being forced to sell other players.

In the end I don't think it's worth the risk. Signing Haaland is the equivalent of putting all eggs in one basket, at least for current Barca.

Home of Barca Fans