8 - Pedro Gonzalez "Pedri"

Messi983

Muniain having no release clause must be a bureaucratic workaround which is why clubs would rather set an unrealistic release clause rather than doing what Athletic has done.

“This was a way to show my loyalty to the club” was Muniain's words when he signed that contract.
Why is that worth more than what Pedri is doing with the 1bn release clause? No club is going to pay that, Pedri is about as 'stuck' at his club as Muniain is.

Because it shows that club trust a player won't leave even if he gets a much better offer and on the other side player also knows club won't sell him against his will. It's a harder commitment from my standpoint than setting a high clause.

For me they're necessary. There's no excuse for a footballer to walk around unshowered with the salaries they're on. At worst use the facilities in the changing room.

Clubs can always demand unrealistic high prices for players they don't want to sell. It works so in other leagues with no obligatory clauses. If a club can afford to reject 20m, 50m or 100m offers for their best players then so be it. If they have to sell then they will often sell even below player's BO clause anyway.

The only thing obligatory BO clause in La Liga has done recently is clubs losing their important players for a price they would probably never agree to sell them. Not even talking about Neymar here. Clubs like Betis, Celta, Valencia, Villarreal and even Sevilla have all lost their starters clubs for something like 15-20m when they would surely prefer to either keep them or sell them for more. And all this affected overall quality and competitivness of La Liga as well. Why Betis shouldn't be allowed to squeeze out 40-50m from a rich EPL club for Fabian Ruiz instead of Napoli paying his 30m clause? OTOH mid/low table La Liga clubs were buying best Segunda players/talents for just 1-2m instead of those smaller clubs potentially earning more selling them abroad (since clubs like Eibar or Levante would have problems paying 5-10m but most EPL clubs wouldn't have problems paying that for a solid 2nd division prospect). Would they do that? We don't know but at least smaller clubs would have better options to get more money.

I think it is just clubs banking on players not challenging the buyout clauses in court. They are illegal but since no one complains they will be ok.
I actually think that buyout clauses will sooner or later be obligatory in all football world. Player association has already negotiated it with FIFA, I think it will be reality in couple of decades

How are they illegal?

Last edited:

Messi983

Pedri and Gavi amongst 20 finalists for 2021 Golden Boy award. Sign Gravenberch and Adeyemi/Pino and we're set for a decade of dominance. :rockon:

Karim Adeyemi
Jude Bellingham
Eduardo Camavinga
Charles De Ketelaere
Gavi
Bryan Gil
Ryan Gravenberch
Mason Greenwood
Daniel Maldini
Jamal Musiala
Nuno Mendes
Pedri
Roberto Piccoli
Y?remi Pino
Gio Reyna
Rodrygo
Bukayo Saka
William Saliba
Jurri?n Timber
Florian Wirtz

vegitot

Pedri and Gavi amongst 20 finalists for 2021 Golden Boy award. Sign Gravenberch and Adeyemi/Pino and we're set for a decade of dominance. :rockon:

Pedri wins it, 99.99%. Your prediction at the start of this thread is almost correct :rockon:

Interesting that Gavi makes a top 20 shortlist while he isn't even on the last short list (top 30) :lol:

Also Maldini's son :lol:

BBZ8800

Not bad for a master of hide and seek :koeman:
[tw]1449045287977332738[/tw]

How many young players played as much as him (more playing time equals more passes)?
How many young players played so many minutes in a team which just keeps possession, dwells on a ball and does nothing?

How many young midfielders are on that list at all with even 80% of his minutes?

behindbrowneyes

In the end the release clause is a price both club and player have agreed on. Remember Neymar demanding a rather low one (which was still double the record), because he already had something in the back of his mind. The rule in Spain of having one is a pain in the ass for clubs, like seen with Umtiti who joined the club as a nobody, turned out to be great and 1,5 years into his 5y contract was threatening to leave to United through his "realistic" release clause of 50 or 60M. Normally, you have no reason to extend a longterm contract after 1,5 years already, but the case of Umtiti did cost the club a lot of money without any real service in return. Or look at poor Leganes that couldn't do anything against Barca paying the release clause of Braithwaite during the season with them having no power to refuse or the chance to get a replacement. In the end they got relegated with one point less than Celta.

A release clause of 1 billion is just the club's way of calling Pedri priceless, which pretty much every other club from a country bar Spain can do without fearing to lose one of their star player without negotiating. I'm glad Pedri loves Barca so much to agree to it. Him or his agent could've also said I want more money or a rather low - reasonable release clause, which doesn't seem to be the case as negotiations seemed to progress smoothly.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans