8 - Pedro Gonzalez "Pedri"

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
He is closer to Denis 2.0 than Iniesta 2.0. It shows how outdated our philosophy is that we rate him so highly.

He is nowhere like Denis. Denis was more attacking-minded whereas Pedri is more like a CM type shielding and distributing the ball. Pedri's passing is much better than that of Denis' in my opinion, especially his long passes.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
^
[MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION]
definitely. He is not only very talented but has an excellent mentality. I am afraid that he will be left behind pretty soon if he does not start taking risks. He is getting plenty of opportunities and needs to make sure he is doing his best to take advantage of them.

I wouldn't say he is not very talented at all. His footwork is very, very good, especially given his age and his ability to read the game is very good too, in my opinion. With Spain he is more reserved I felt.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I wouldn't say he is not very talented at all. His footwork is very, very good, especially given his age and his ability to read the game is very good too, in my opinion. With Spain he is more reserved I felt.

You're agreeing with what FC433 said though.

Too weak and slow. Makes many mistakes which I guess is fair he's young. Problem is he has no attacking instinct whatsoever. Can't shoot has no vision for a creative breaking pass. No attacking movement. I fear he will just be a fit Arthur, lots of passing but very static and not much involvement in the actual attack.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Too weak and slow. Makes many mistakes which I guess is fair he's young. Problem is he has no attacking instinct whatsoever. Can't shoot has no vision for a creative breaking pass. No attacking movement. I fear he will just be a fit Arthur, lots of passing but very static and not much involvement in the actual attack.

Agreed he is not attacking-minded enough, but he does have vision and can read the game fairly well. One example was toward the end of the first half Pedri had a very good long pass that accurately found Alba, which resulted in Alba delivering a nice cross and was missed by Morata by inches, if I recall correctly. He definitely needs to do more going forward, yes.

I felt with us he was more more forward going but with Spain he is more or less stationed in the midfield on the LCM position, or something like that.

BBZ8800

Prosinecki, a Croatian midfielder from 90s, who played both for Barca and Real, commented on a Spanish play, along these lines: they are all just passing the ball around without too much risks or unpredictable dribbles, passes or shots. They are all just playing it safe, making 1000 passes and waiting to assist a teammate in a perfect position instead of attempting a dribble or a shot by themself. Also, none player is willing to risk, try to dribble past 3 opponents and shoot. And no one is trying longshots, only shots from a close range.

FinBarcelonafan

Prosinecki, a Croatian midfielder from 90s, who played both for Barca and Real, commented on a Spanish play, along these lines: they are all just passing the ball around without too much risks or unpredictable dribbles, passes or shots. They are all just playing it safe, making 1000 passes and waiting to assist a teammate in a perfect position instead of attempting a dribble or a shot by themself. Also, none player is willing to risk, try to dribble past 3 opponents and shoot. And no one is trying longshots, only shots from a close range.

Yes. Exactly. This team will never win Euro playing like this. They need more balls.

They do this because they are coached like this from a young age. They're all physically weak and slow so they can't go for duels and force their way in. They can't 1v1 and can't play long. They can't play for crosses in the box cuz they have 1 tall player (morata lol). On top they all don't know how to shoot and can't run and play high tempo. This is all they can do, pass around and hope something happens.
No one teaches them these things and approaches to the game that you can find in other nationalities. It's like the coaches all looked at that Spain and barca team and decided that everyone should just be coached to pass around and nothing else.

Last edited:

raedkuwait

I have no clue why is he starting for spain, any fucking player can do what he is doing now, which is basically nothing, he dont take any risks at all, not assisting any goals soon, and he is the farthest player from ever scoring, very very slow player and booooring player.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I have no clue why is he starting for spain, any fucking player can do what he is doing now, which is basically nothing, he dont take any risks at all, not assisting any goals soon, and he is the farthest player from ever scoring, very very slow player and booooring player.

Like Busquets since he ever started playing? Not saying Pedri is Busquets.

For one thing, certainly not ?any fucking player? can shield the ball as well as Pedri does. Preventing dispossessions and turnovers is good.

FinBarcelonafan

They do this because they are coached like this from a young age. They're all physically weak and slow so they can't go for duels and force their way in. They can't 1v1 and can't play long. They can't play for crosses in the box cuz they have 1 tall player (morata lol). On top they all don't know how to shoot and can't run and play high tempo. This is all they can do, pass around and hope something happens.
No one teaches them these things and approaches to the game that you can find in other nationalities. It's like the coaches all looked at that Spain and barca team and decided that everyone should just be coached to pass around and nothing else.

Yes, Spain needs some remodeling for modern football. This is not going anywhere.

kattanib

Like Busquets since he ever started playing? Not saying Pedri is Busquets.

For one thing, certainly not ?any fucking player? can shield the ball as well as Pedri does. Preventing dispossessions and turnovers is good.

The fact that he is 18 years old and doesnt have the urge to prove himself and leave his CM position just to try and shoot or score a goal is impressive for me .. it shows maturity and teamwork. Spain had lots of players wanting to attack and Pedri was the one placing himself back and in empty spaces to be there in case something unexpected happens. His attitude is amazing

Home of Barca Fans