8 - Pedro Gonzalez "Pedri"

ajnotkeith

Pedri is the opposite of overrated on this forum. He is a great player.

Consistently said on this forum that Gavi and Nico are better than him and that even Puig is better it seems today. For a player like Pedri that is insulting.

MTL_Barca

Gotta admit, it's very impressive how Puig always ends up getting mentioned despite being completely irrelevant to the games itself :lol:

Pedri was decent for his first game in months, needs to stay fit now and get some rythm.

Andresito

Staff member
Must say I was impressed by Pedri. He didn't have a perfect game, far from. But he did better than I thought.

I expected him to be a passenger. But he was the architect of the midfield. It didn't pan out to anything concrete yesterday, but I can see him growing in that role.
Great intentions and it's obvious Xavi been asking specific things from him, like being more decisive with passes and shots.

Looking forward to seeing more of him, Gavi and a third partner. I hope it's someone other than Busi.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I can honestly say after not having had the pleasure to watch him for Barca for so long I had forgotten just how damn good he is. He is a star

Joan

Glad that he?s finally back. Expect him to make a difference in the midfield. Gavi and him should profit from Xavi?s coaching.

Porque

Yeah there are differences of course, but I am not sure what is harder for a player.
I was benched for periods as a player, and I was also injured, out for a longer time than Pedri. Should not argue from n=1 (anonymous) but it was very different to get some sparse time from a manager who didn't trust me and to get back from a tough injury and play with a lot of inspiration, feeling trust from those around me.
Only saying these are two different things - and I am to blame for initially comparing the two!

But I think an injured player often plays very well in the first one or two games after coming back. We saw it with Fati previously and I think I (succesfully) predicted here a fall in form last time he came back. Pedri didn't look that great to me today, I thought the hype in the chat was a bit much. He played well though overall I do agree despite his mistakes, I am as excited as most about his development under Xavi. I hope he will get some new habits, I saw hints of it today.

Not looking to make this a Pedri vs Puig thing. It is clear Xavi used and saw this match as a high competitive friendly and an opportunity to get his many returning players back to fitness.

Ideally, and the way the match went/was going I think that Puig would have been best where Depay was as Depay did not utilize his space- and especially when the game was 2-2. But again, Xavi wanted the match as a venue to get Pedri, Depay, Abde, Fati, etc some minutes.

JamDav1982

Against Granada when doesnt come on... 'Xavi may have been resting Puig for Real Madrid'
Against Real when doesnt come on...'Xavi was playing players to get minutes and thats why Puig didnt get on'

Excuses are endless for this wee bell end.

Xavi didnt rate him highly enough to play in either game and a big list of players ahead of him.

Simple.

Bobo32

Not looking to make this a Pedri vs Puig thing. It is clear Xavi used and saw this match as a high competitive friendly and an opportunity to get his many returning players back to fitness.

Ideally, and the way the match went/was going I think that Puig would have been best where Depay was as Depay did not utilize his space- and especially when the game was 2-2. But again, Xavi wanted the match as a venue to get Pedri, Depay, Abde, Fati, etc some minutes.

Hm maybe to an extent, but I think he was mostly very eager to win. I believe he thinks those players are the best players and played them as much as he thought possible. Maybe some of them could've played some minutes earlier than yesterday, but they waited so as not to have any setbacks. Maybe for someone it was too early to get as many minutes yesterday, but it was seen as worth it to advance v Real and have that "turning point" they talked about.

Now it's a full week of training before the next game, and then Xavi should have most of his squad avaialable to use. His honeymoon is over, and he needs to show more improvement on the field and not only talk decently well. I am looking forward to see Pedri play under Xavi now, could he begin move more sharply, be more involved and at the same time more threatening? I think he has a huge potential and might work well together with Gavi. Let's see.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans