8 - Pedro Gonzalez "Pedri"

BBZ8800

What ages were Iniesta and Xavi playing every week and impacting games like Pedri ??

Well, first of all, back in 1999 when Xavi started to play, the world of football was different in terms that there was no internet, huge tv deals, social media, huge sponsor deals.
Back then, the leagues were close and there were 2-3 strong clubs and 3-4 clubs who were just behind them.
Today, in each country, you have 1 or 2 super clubs (Juve, Psg, Bayern or Barca-Real) who are like 10 times richer than the rest and majority of leagues are a joke in terms of competitivness due to insane rise in earnings for top teams.
For example, top 3 in the last few years:
2021: Atletico, Real, Barca
2020: Real, Barca, Atletico
2019: Barca, Atletico, Real
2018: Barca, Atletico, Real
2017: Real, Barca, Atletico
2016: Barca, Real, Atletico
2015: Barca, Real, Atletico
2014: Atletico, Barca, Real
2013: Barca, Real, Atletico

For example, when Xavi started to play:
1998: Barca, BILBAO, SOCIEDAD
1999: Barca, Real, MALLORCA
2000: DEPORTIVO, Barca, VALENCIA
2001: Real, DEPORTIVO, MALLORCA
2002: VALENCIA, DEPORTIVO, Real
2003: Real, SOCIEDAD, DEPORTIVO

In that sense, matches were more tighter and harder back then since all matches were ending with 1:0, 2:1 and similar.
While in the last few years, Barca and Real are breaking statpadding records with 6:0, 7:0 and 11:1 victories in La liga.
That means, that it is way easier to dominate against small league teams today compared to 2000'.
That means that even meh players could look awesome in La Liga today against minor teams.
This is why even Suarez, Neymar (and Messi and CR/ to some extent) were breaking every single goalscoring record = because big teams have more money, more possession, more shots and more goals compared to 20-30 years ago.

So, I would dare to say that for a young player, it was harder to dominate in 1990 or 2000 than in 2021.
Still, this is the Xavi's debut when he was as equally as old as today's Pedri.
Try to look how he dominates the match in a different way with control, without one-touch flicks and how he moves off the ball way more even aged 18-19.
This was not prime Xavi, but in his passes and moves you could see Xavi's DNA and who he is as a player.
Of course that he improved as a player, but his DNA was already there. He hasn't changed much later, he just improved those basics.
To some extent, this is how people should look at Pedri. He won't suddenly turn into a different type of player.
He will improve some of his skills, but basics will remain the same.
as I have mentioned already: look at this video and how Xavi isn't playing those crazy Pedri's one touch backheel stupid futsal passes.
And look at how: whenever Xavi passes the ball, he CONTINUES in exactly the same direction. We could say that Xavi-the ball-and the action are = ONE. They always move together in sinchronicity, Xavi never stops. He just flows all te time.
Then look at Pedri who: 1. often doesn't movbe at all to receive the pass, 2. who stops after passes, takes 2 secodns pause and THEN remembers that he needs to follow the action further, 3. or he doesn't move sideways to make himself available after making a pass but runs direct into the box in between 2 opponents and thus making himself unavailable to receive a pass back from his teammate.

khaled_a_d

Like Pedri but if Barca got offered over 100m next summer and Gavi looks the real deal it could be worth moving on.

Gavi is 17 with a contract until 2023. He can't sign a contract longer than 3 years until he is 18 which happens next 5th of August.
Looking at Illaix situation this, suggested move is huge risk unless we secure long term contract from Gavi days after his birthday.

JohnN

Don't see a reason to sell any of our young assets. We don't need money, we just need to lower wages.

BBZ8800

One more thing, JamDav mentioned something along the lines: Bbz says if Pedri won't reach Xavi's level = that he suddenly sucks.

Well, not really.
But there is something interesting in that thought.
I would say that in the last 17 years since Xavi and Deco, the only midfielders who were up to "our" standards were: Xavi, Iniesta, Deco and Busi. But Busi worked only in a combination with Xavi-Iniesta, he didn't work without them.
Anyway, my point is: without Xavi-Deco-Iniesta level of midfielders, we were never able to dominate on a CL level, and we are lately struggling even in La Liga.
So, I am not expecting him to reach Xavi's levels (which he surely won't), but the question remains: are levels way below Xavi good enough for Barca and what is our future then?
So, in the last 17 years we had 4 good midfielders in Xavi, Iniesta, Deco, Busi.
Let's check all other midfielders who played in that time, who were mocked as being shit, crap, cancer, not good enough and similar:
Frenkie
Rakitic
Fabregas
Keita
Vidal
Arthur
Coutinho
Paulinho
Pjanic
Arda
Andre Gomes
Denis Suarez
Van Bommel
Gabri
Gudjohnsen
Yaya Toure
Song
Hleb
JD Santos
Samper
Alena
Puig
Oriol
Sergi Roberto
Rafinha

Out of all these other players, fans would say: that maybe Frenkie is on our level, even though he is a very weird fit.
Keita was a sub level.
Fabregas was a bad fit without a clear position.
Rakitic was good for 1-2 years and then he was called as cancer, the worst midfielder who has ever worn our shirt and we will fly when he leaves.
Vidal was a weird fit.
Arthur was 20% of Xavi.

So, my question is: WHAT is that level in between Xavi and all of these players?
Because if Pedri will reach Rakitic's or Fabregas' level (which I don't think he will), that obviously won't be enough for CL's standards.
I could ask another question: could Barca/TikiTaka dominate at all without Xavi-Iniesta, but people will get mad so I'll just mention it quietly :mou: (since in the last 10 years, we weren't able to replicate anything close to Xavi-Iniesta levels of play with inferior midfielders in a team)

vegitot

Well, first of all, back in 1999 when Xavi started to play, the world of football was different in terms that there was no internet, huge tv deals, social media, huge sponsor deals.
Back then, the leagues were close and there were 2-3 strong clubs and 3-4 clubs who were just behind them.
Today, in each country, you have 1 or 2 super clubs (Juve, Psg, Bayern or Barca-Real) who are like 10 times richer than the rest and majority of leagues are a joke in terms of competitivness due to insane rise in earnings for top teams.

In that sense, matches were more tighter and harder back then since all matches were ending with 1:0, 2:1 and similar.
While in the last few years, Barca and Real are breaking statpadding records with 6:0, 7:0 and 11:1 victories in La liga.
That means, that it is way easier to dominate against small league teams today compared to 2000'.
That means that even meh players could look awesome in La Liga today against minor teams.
This is why even Suarez, Neymar (and Messi and CR/ to some extent) were breaking every single goalscoring record = because big teams have more money, more possession, more shots and more goals compared to 20-30 years ago.

So, I would dare to say that for a young player, it was harder to dominate in 1990 or 2000 than in 2021.
Try to look how he dominates the match in a different way with control, without one-touch flicks and how he moves off the ball way more even aged 18-19.
This was not prime Xavi, but in his passes and moves you could see Xavi's DNA and who he is as a player.
Of course that he improved as a player, but his DNA was already there. He hasn't changed much later, he just improved those basics.
To some extent, this is how people should look at Pedri. He won't suddenly turn into a different type of player.
as I have mentioned already: look at this video and how Xavi isn't playing those crazy Pedri's one touch backheel stupid futsal passes.
And look at how: whenever Xavi passes the ball, he CONTINUES in exactly the same direction. We could say that Xavi-the ball-and the action are = ONE. They always move together in sinchronicity, Xavi never stops. He just flows all te time.
Then look at Pedri who: 1. often doesn't movbe at all to receive the pass, 2. who stops after passes, takes 2 secodns pause and THEN remembers that he needs to follow the action further, 3. or he doesn't move sideways to make himself available after making a pass but runs direct into the box in between 2 opponents and thus making himself unavailable to receive a pass back from his teammate.

Different era so i don't compare Pedri to Xavi. And why you compare them in the first place??? Is Xavi's level now Pedri's set bar???

Xavi would be a starter (Iniesta also) like Pedri in current Barca at 18. But that's different story.

You look at one game of Xavi then compare to Pedri whole season which he plays 73 games in all comps. Again, when you are just 17-18 and play 73 games, you will have good games and bad games. It's normal thing, even for an exceptional talent. And it's not like he plays only 10-20 mins per game, he plays nearly every all games.

His lack of off ball moment in the attacking final third recently may due to his fitness and even team's tactic. You see him usually stay out of the box, just in case opponent starts a counter.

You watch his games in Las Palmas, his games in his first few months here (vs Juventus when he took his opponents apart), his games for Spain. All are different.

Pedri shines in Euro, being one of the best player in such big tournament. That tells enough of his quality even though he still needs to improve a lot.

vegitot

One more thing, JamDav mentioned something along the lines: Bbz says if Pedri won't reach Xavi's level = that he suddenly sucks.

Well, not really.
I would say that in the last 17 years since Xavi and Deco, the only midfielders who were up to "our" standards were: Xavi, Iniesta, Deco and Busi. But Busi worked only in a combination with Xavi-Iniesta, he didn't work without them.
Anyway, my point is: without Xavi-Deco-Iniesta level of midfielders, we were never able to dominate on a CL level, and we are lately struggling even in La Liga.
So, I am not expecting him to reach Xavi's levels (which he surely won't), but the question remains: are levels way below Xavi good enough for Barca and what is our future then?
So, in the last 17 years we had 4 good midfielders in Xavi, Iniesta, Deco, Busi.
Let's check all other midfielders who played in that time, who were mocked as being shit, crap, cancer, not good enough and similar:
Frenkie
Rakitic
Fabregas
Keita
Vidal
Arthur
Coutinho
Paulinho
Pjanic
Arda
Andre Gomes
Denis Suarez
Van Bommel
Gabri
Gudjohnsen
Yaya Toure
Song
Hleb
JD Santos
Samper
Alena
Puig
Oriol
Sergi Roberto
Rafinha

Out of all these other players, fans would say: that maybe Frenkie is on our level, even though he is a very weird fit.
Keita was a sub level.
Rakitic was good for 1-2 years and then he was called as cancer, the worst midfielder who has ever worn our shirt and we will fly when he leaves.
Vidal was a weird fit.
Arthur was 20% of Xavi.

So, my question is: WHAT is that level in between Xavi and all of these players?
Because if Pedri will reach Rakitic's or Fabregas' level (which I don't think he will), that obviously won't be enough for CL's standards.
I could ask another question: could Barca/TikiTaka dominate at all without Xavi-Iniesta, but people will get mad so I'll just mention it quietly :mou: (since in the last 10 years, we weren't able to replicate anything close to Xavi-Iniesta levels of play with inferior midfielders in a team)

Barca's last UCL with Rakitic being one of the main man in midfield. What's your point???

khaled_a_d

I am going to say this, but hindsight with Xavi and Iniesta is strong right here.
They weren't that dominant or that sure to be all time great when they were y3oung.
When Xavi was almost 2 years older than Pedri, he was part of Spain's Olympic team that Cameroon was toying with them whole 2nd half and extra time and they had the bigger names back then (and even now) and the result of the game didn't show the difference in the levels of both teams.
Even till 2008, Xavi had many weaknesses in his game, he to lose the ball in dangerous places many times and his defense was suspect.
Iniesta was never consistent with his "magic" either. In his 1st few years he was more of a glorified Sergi Roberto, he was used as DM, CM, RW, LW, RWB during his early 20's.
He wasn't a starter when we won CL in 2006, that was Van Bommel and when we sold the later we struggled with midfield until Iniesta grew more (he was a beast from 07-08)
Football is now more efficient that majestic, and despite that being a bit sad but it is essential when we consider the differences between eras. Pedri is a guy who does his job and has the talent to do everything, with age on his side too. This will be the future of the position anyway and even Iniesta nowadays would have been trained to play more like Pedri now.
Pedri has very decent chances to reach the levels of those 2, and very big chance to reach the level of Deco, barring the obvious obstacles (injury, complacency etc), and yes it isn't a sure thing, but really other than Messi, CR7, R9 & Rooney I don't remember witnessing many sure thing anyway

KingLeo10

I am going to say this, but hindsight with Xavi and Iniesta is strong right here.
They weren't that dominant or that sure to be all time great when they were y3oung.
When Xavi was almost 2 years older than Pedri, he was part of Spain's Olympic team that Cameroon was toying with them whole 2nd half and extra time and they had the bigger names back then (and even now) and the result of the game didn't show the difference in the levels of both teams.
Even till 2008, Xavi had many weaknesses in his game, he to lose the ball in dangerous places many times and his defense was suspect.
Iniesta was never consistent with his "magic" either. In his 1st few years he was more of a glorified Sergi Roberto, he was used as DM, CM, RW, LW, RWB during his early 20's.
He wasn't a starter when we won CL in 2006, that was Van Bommel and when we sold the later we struggled with midfield until Iniesta grew more (he was a beast from 07-08)
Football is now more efficient that majestic, and despite that being a bit sad but it is essential when we consider the differences between eras. Pedri is a guy who does his job and has the talent to do everything, with age on his side too. This will be the future of the position anyway and even Iniesta nowadays would have been trained to play more like Pedri now.
Pedri has very decent chances to reach the levels of those 2, and very big chance to reach the level of Deco, barring the obvious obstacles (injury, complacency etc), and yes it isn't a sure thing, but really other than Messi, CR7, R9 & Rooney I don't remember witnessing many sure thing anyway

Wayne is underrated. He declined early and barely made it to 30...but he was an absolute force when he was 18-25.

fergus90

A lot of Xavi's problem was that his build and playstyle wasn't really desired in a midfielder in his younger 20s. Midfielders like Lampard, Gerrard etc were seen as what was required from a midfielder. I remember we played Spain at the Bernabeu, I think around 2003 and Xavi played exactly then like he was lauded for later in his career, absolutely ran the show and dictated the tempo as we lost 2-0.

Sometimes the player doesn't change much, but the system suits them more.

vegitot

While i agree that Pedri can take his game to much higher level but there are few things.

Xavi was already world class since the arrival of David Edgar. Yes he took his level into different dimension from 2008 onward but his days before it were still top. Also we have to remember he played in different era and that is when a player like Xavi didn't have a defined role. Very different.

Iniesta was magical from beginning but yes, it wasn't something consistent week in week out. But he was still very good for the team. His performances vs Real, Ac milan, Arsenal are magical.

But then compare a 17-18 years old Pedri who played 72 games in one season to Xavi or Ini at same age when they played just a few games is not fair.

Not any great youngster are Messi, Ronaldo fenomeno, Pele, Maradona to be consistent at 17-18.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

A lot of Xavi's problem was that his build and playstyle wasn't really desired in a midfielder in his younger 20s. Midfielders like Lampard, Gerrard etc were seen as what was required from a midfielder. I remember we played Spain at the Bernabeu, I think around 2003 and Xavi played exactly then like he was lauded for later in his career, absolutely ran the show and dictated the tempo as we lost 2-0.

Sometimes the player doesn't change much, but the system suits them more.

I don't agree it wasn't desired (same thing regarding vegitot reply) as his type always had its fans and system.
I looked into the game you were talking, and it seems you are talking about the one on 17th Nov 2004, and during that time this was an always underachieving England squad despite having big names, and Xavi was almost 25 then, 6 years older than current Pedri.
I agree that Xavi found a perfect system with Pep, but even with NT where Spain played different system Xavi peaked around 2008, I would say 2003-2008 Xavi was a top 10 midfielders which is world class, but in 2008-2011 he was top 5 players and that wasn't just due to system.

vegitot

I don't agree it wasn't desired (same thing regarding vegitot reply) as his type always had its fans and system.
I looked into the game you were talking, and it seems you are talking about the one on 17th Nov 2004, and during that time this was an always underachieving England squad despite having big names, and Xavi was almost 25 then, 6 years older than current Pedri.
I agree that Xavi found a perfect system with Pep, but even with NT where Spain played different system Xavi peaked around 2008, I would say 2003-2008 Xavi was a top 10 midfielders which is world class, but in 2008-2011 he was top 5 players and that wasn't just due to system.

2008-2011 Xavi was the best, GOAT tier level midfielder. Iniesta was pure magic but no one can dominate midfield like Xavi in that period.

Xavi's quality was with him from beginning. Just because he had no defined role like he had later when he was young. Of course he also improved lot of his abilities.

MTL_Barca

Well, not really.
Frenkie
Rakitic
Fabregas
Keita
Vidal
Arthur
Coutinho
Paulinho
Pjanic
Arda
Andre Gomes
Denis Suarez
Van Bommel
Gabri
Gudjohnsen
Yaya Toure
Song
Hleb
JD Santos
Samper
Alena
Puig
Oriol
Sergi Roberto
Rafinha

Keita was a sub level.
Vidal was a weird fit.
Arthur was 20% of Xavi.

I mean we could apply the same to attackers, since Pep joined the only ones that were on a similar level as Xavi/Iniesta/Busi in midfield were Leo, Eto'o, maybe Pedro in a similar fashion as Busi, Villa for a short time, Neymar and Suarez.

Everyone else from Ibra to Alexis, Malcom, Deulofeu, Dembele, Trincao, Griezmann, Braithwaite, Prince etc was mocked or called bad, misfit, useless.

Defense the same, Umtiti was good until his injury and all in all Alba was good as well but apart from them everyone who joined after Alves, Pique, Puyol, Mascherano, Abidal were forming the backline wasn't good enough.

Might as well not continue playing at this point :lol: We can't expect another Xavi, but that doesn't mean the team can't have success. Other teams don't have them as well and can somehow play good, even Citys stacked squad can't field a midfield that comes close to prime Busi, Xavi, Iniesta.

Last edited:

SmilerBam

Agree 100%. But very few will understand, some here didn t even catched Xavi's prime, nevermind his debut. Football then was very different, with quality spreaded in many more clubs than today.

JamDav1982

Only folk mentioning Xavi are those making up something to argue against.

No one is claiming Pedri is next Xavi or a similar player but get usual BBZ essays to argue against point no one is making.

Gone from signings like Pedri are a failure to comparing him to Xavi. Goal posts moves as always.

Home of Barca Fans