Sergiño Dest (loaned to PSV)

Andresito

Staff member
Man I must say, I see clear flaws in him. He's a very vertical player, good technique, good dribbler, fast.
But he clearly lacks IQ and the ability to pick out a pass, even compared to Roberto.

His crosses are just whipped in and a teammate has to reach the ball rather than Dest picking out the teammate in the best position.

Sailor Mars

Just the fact that he is proactive in the final third is a breath of fresh air.

Cannot believe I continued to give Semedo the benefit of the doubt during his time here. Was totally braindead in attack.

khaled_a_d

Man I must say, I see clear flaws in him. He's a very vertical player, good technique, good dribbler, fast.
But he clearly lacks IQ and the ability to pick out a pass, even compared to Roberto.

His crosses are just whipped in and a teammate has to reach the ball rather than Dest picking out the teammate in the best position.

Roberto is probably one of the best RBs out there in doing those stuff, it is one of the main reasons he was a starter here for few years.
If Dest lacking it at 20, I am ok with it as long as he starts to learn them with time.

serghei

I don't see a lack in passing IQ at all. Roberto's been playing for a long time in the team. It's mostly a matter of chemistry which is just building with Dest. I see Dest as superior to Roberto in every way almost.

Messigician

I have always been one of Semedo's main critics and finally people can see why.

Someone like Dest is a Barca style fullback you cannot be as braindead in attack as Semedo and play for Barca

Horatio

You're welcome
For all the footballing IQ he lacks, he makes up for it in basically being superior to Roberto. Never liked Roberto that much.

Birdy

I don't see where is the IQ he lacks. If you can explain, please do...

Other than that, if you think that Roberto was good at picking out passes, maybe you didn't watch him at all.
He was good at picking out people behind him and next to him. Never forward, progressive passes, which is a requirement for a modern RB.
Let alone the many other ways in which he was messing up the position

Porque

I really like that he whips in the cross to the space where the attacking player should be running too, rather than actually picking the pass (ahem alba, back to Messi).

The Braithwaite goal is a great example of that.

It's basic, but it is the basics that win you games. That's why Madrid had 3 CL wins and we passed ourselves out of the tournaments.

Plus it is easy to look at the past with rose tinted glasses. Alves put tons of "aimless" balls into the box which ended at nobody.

Andresito

Staff member
I don't see where is the IQ he lacks. If you can explain, please do...

Other than that, if you think that Roberto was good at picking out passes, maybe you didn't watch him at all.
He was good at picking out people behind him and next to him. Never forward, progressive passes, which is a requirement for a modern RB.
Let alone the many other ways in which he was messing up the position

Here's a cherrypicked example for ya:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2JTZrMgbcc&ab_channel=FCBCompsA7i

I still think Roberto's last pass is more precise than Dest's.
And no I don't think Roberto is the GOAT of fullbacks. It's just that his offense is very different to Dest's.

I really like that he whips in the cross to the space where the attacking player should be running too, rather than actually picking the pass (ahem alba, back to Messi).

The Braithwaite goal is a great example of that.

It's basic, but it is the basics that win you games. That's why Madrid had 3 CL wins and we passed ourselves out of the tournaments.

Plus it is easy to look at the past with rose tinted glasses. Alves put tons of "aimless" balls into the box which ended at nobody.

Marcelo and Carvajal doesn't have that same style of crossing. They can look up and see where the target is and aim for that target. Same with Robertson and TAA, Alba as well.

Dest doesn't have that ability yet. He's a lot more vertical: bang bang and the cross is smashed in, in hopes of someone being on the end of it.

Now I'm not saying it's a deal breaker. But all the world class full backs have had this ability.
We'll see how effective Dest's crossing is against better opponents where the CB's have the ability to cover spaces better than those Valladolid bums.
In those games Dest needs to be reactive and not just hope he hits someone's head or foot.

Last edited:

vuji_31

What an example. Busqets only good pass in last few years, which shows low IQ of player that this board wants to bring.

About Dest.

Can't belive you are already seeing that he has flaws that can't be menaged.

He is playing his first season in dysfunctional team that is going through eorst season in 15 years.

And he is only 20.

Menaged to get assist , and destrying opponent on right side with 5 dribbles.

Home of Barca Fans