Sergiño Dest (loaned to PSV)

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Are you sure Dest won't come back to rotation in September? Especially if Araujo and Roberto continue their disaster show at RB that we have seen against Rayo?

Might happen, but I think they're willing to continue that experiment to push Dest out right now and hope he doesn't call their bluff.

They'll never do that with Frenkie simply because even if he's been underwhelming he's simply too valuable and good for it.

JamDav1982

Also with FDJ they will still have the idea of selling him further down the road and are not going to make the situation even worse by taking one of Xavis best midfielders away from him when paying high wages.

All while decreasing his value for when try to sell him next time.

Birdy would have had Barca weakened from January on with Dembele in stands and being 'taught a lesson'.

No club thinks like that as he was told and Dembele would play.

khaled_a_d

Might happen, but I think they're willing to continue that experiment to push Dest out right now and hope he doesn't call their bluff.

They'll never do that with Frenkie simply because even if he's been underwhelming he's simply too valuable and good for it.

Sure, but I think after Dembele everyone is calling their bluff.
Even Braithwaite is calling their bluff, even when they weren't bluffing :lol:

JamDav1982

Sure, but I think after Dembele everyone is calling their bluff.
Even Braithwaite is calling their bluff, even when they weren't bluffing :lol:

Dembele situation has little relevance to Braithwaite.

Dembele knew club were speaking shite and would never release him or put him in stands as would weaken squad while still same cost on books.

Not same for likes of Dest who would most likely barely play and Braith who wouldnt at all.

As said with Dembele at time every case is different for each player.

Sailor Mars

Dembele situation has little relevance to Braithwaite.

Dembele knew club were speaking shite and would never release him or put him in stands as would weaken squad while still same cost on books.

Not same for likes of Dest who would most likely barely play and Braith who wouldnt at all.

As said with Dembele at time every case is different for each player.

True about Dembele and Dest/Braithwaite not being in the same class plus Dembele also had the backing of Xavi in all of Xavi's interviews during the contract-renewal saga.

But Dest probably sees that the RB situation isn't looking too great for Barca and he could be given another opportunity after the transfer window shuts.

Braithwaite is further down on the depth chart, but an Aubameyang sale plus perhaps an injury to one of the forwards could put him in contention for some minutes.

JamDav1982

Torres and Fati would be getting a job at CF before Braithwaite probably Dembele as well.

Braithwaite is absolutely terrible and has nothing Xavi wants.

More likely doesnt get registered than gets any minutes.

Birdy

No, Kessie and Gavi cannot play his role with the same success because they are nowhere as good as Frenkie.

Give it a week or two and Frenkie will be the full-time starter alongside likely Pedri and Busquets. Xavi is not going to drop him even if Laporta and Alemany want him to, which they probably don't anyway as they want to win games.

Nowhere near as 'talented' in general, maybe
I would agree to that

But 'good' is defined relatively to coach and tactics
And in Barca's 1 pivot- 2 interior structure - THAT IS NOT GONNA CHANGE - Frenkie has been from meh to bad in any of those positions..

He might be a starter again as you say, and after a while he will see himself sitting often on the bench or getting subbed early.
He is far from important to how we play (unlike Dembele),
so there goes that argument...

Then, what is left is his 29m gross for this season...

JamDav1982

More nonsense.

FDJ was better than Gavi under Xavi last season and was one of Barcas best players the season before in midfield.

Gavi is still young and at this moment in time is even less suited to Xavis set up than FDJ.

The club wont send him to stands. It serves zero purpose. The 29m gross would be paid whether he is on pitch or in stands and in stands they do nothing but lose more money as value drops and has negative impact on pitch.

Dembele... who Birdy wanted sent to stands and never to play again to teach him a lesson.... Now Dembele is 'different' and club couldnt possibly send a player like him to the stands.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
As underwhelming as Frenkie's Barca career might have been compared to the expectations most people had, even in a position not totally suiting him, he is easily at worst case our second best midfielder.

Doesn't matter if you put Kessie or Gavi there, he will in the end be the starter simply because he's more talented and just has a bigger impact even if it is just an okay one.

So Xavi is never going to send him to the stands and Laporta will never tell him to do it or approve it.

Birdy

As underwhelming as Frenkie's Barca career might have been compared to the expectations most people had, even in a position not totally suiting him, he is easily at worst case our second best midfielder.

Doesn't matter if you put Kessie or Gavi there, he will in the end be the starter simply because he's more talented and just has a bigger impact even if it is just an okay one.

I highly doubt that...

More talented, yes
bigger impact, no, not at all...

Let's wait and see, but I see Kessie replacing him as an interior after 1-2 months or so.

The question is: Given this meh contribution on the pitch, is it worth keeping him on these kind of wages without pressure to cut or get transferred out?
And when I say pressure, I don't mean these pointless meetings of his agent with Laporta where the latter begs for a paycut.
Real pressure ALWAYS carries with it action.
And the only action applicable here is depriving him of football time

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
There is no truth to that nonsense

Even ten Haag dumb as he is is smart enough to know he is not worth more than 1m
Ten Haag and United are desperate. That often means making bad decisions. Let’s hope that could just for once work in our favor.

Home of Barca Fans