Diego Maradona

Windhook

One of my mates used to play 5 a sides with him in Dubai and said he was clean off the head and all he talked about was beating England and shagging.

Reportedly Maradona was clean off the drugs from 2004 onwards, but he'd been using them since early Barca days 1982 or so. Being clean his behaviour was still erratic at times, I'm no expert in this but some symptoms of schizophrenia.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Reportedly Maradona was clean off the drugs from 2004 onwards, but he'd been using them since early Barca days 1982 or so. Being clean his behaviour was still erratic at times, I'm no expert in this but some symptoms of schizophrenia.

Definitely did not look clean during the 2018 World Cup but maybe he cut down on the coke and started drinking a lot instead. Either that or he was on some serious meds.

Windhook

Definitely did not look clean during the 2018 World Cup but maybe he cut down on the coke and started drinking a lot instead. Either that or he was on some serious meds.

I'd attribute it to drinking or medication mixed with alcohol. People on cocaine or amphetamine are energetic, full of life, not this bodybag we all saw on the stands during Argentina - Nigeria match in 2018 WC, he needed a bodyguard not fall on some poor Russian down there.:lol:

RevoTeller

Rate this version of Maradona higher than any version of any player of the modern era.

Insane technicality, physicality, aura, leadership and mentality.

He used to defend and make good tackles too at times surprisingly.

Agreed. I would also put pre-injury Ronaldo de Lima next to him in terms of sheer football dominance.
With different characteristics, but they are the two best players that I saw in my life, at their peak both slightly better than any version of Messi.

2011-2013, 2015 and 2018/2019 (especially this one) versions of Messi are close third though.

Last edited:

MagIX

Maradona at WC 1990 in Italy

Another hand of God vs Russia (USSR), probably (score still 0-0) he saved Argentina from a out in the group stage...

Some skills at WC 1990...

His balance, his IQ, him opening up the game, creating chances, his playmaker qualities.... genius, and he wasn't even 50%.
I have always to laugh laudy when people compare CR to Messi.
It's like comparing Maradona to Marco Van Basten at that time (MVB pratically won everything, top scorer everywhere,
3 golden ball, and career ended at the age of 28 due to injuries), no one had ever thought of bringing up such a comparison,
not even he himself has ever thought of comparing himself to Diego

MagIX

:wub:

Happy Birthday Diego: Lionel Messi pays tribute to Maradona after winning Ballon d'Or 2023

“Finally, I would like to mention Diego. Today is his birthday. I think there is no better place than here to wish him a happy birthday. Here is full of players, coaches, and people who like football as he did. Wherever you are, happy birthday Diego. This is for you I share it with you and Argentina.”

the GOAT

images.jpg

Sports_1623722279585_1623722288581.JPG

Home of Barca Fans