Diego Maradona

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Man was a speed demon in his youth. This is mostly pre-Guardiola era too.

His dribbling in the Guardiola era and 14/15 was more matured and overall more efficient, but he was never as fast as he was from 05-09.

In terms of speed he reached his peak in 2006-2008, long hair Messi was something else

Gnidrologist

And for those exact reasons u mentioned.. Messi have shit load of attributes that maradonna doesn't have which go hand in hand with "good boy" Ness.. Namely.. Elite athleticism.. Messi is much much much superior to maradonna athletically.. Wenger once said, Messi is like maradonna equipped with turbo. The turbo is a result of genetics but mainly work work work work work.
Look, guys, i agree with THAT, just like one of the previous posters said. But you also have to agree with what i said, if you're being honest. Messi would achieve more top/cluth shit, if he had some of the bad boy spark in him. He just plays footaball as he plays his ninentendo/playstation not as a testosterone filled beast like Maradona.

Bobo32

The testosterone filled beast never scored 20 or more in Europe, the timid good boy never scored less than 20...
Maradona was perhaps even more talented, and his character is what made him considered a God, but Messi undoubtedly played much better football and the big reason seems to be his personality.

Total-Football

Look, guys, i agree with THAT, just like one of the previous posters said. But you also have to agree with what i said, if you're being honest. Messi would achieve more top/cluth shit, if he had some of the bad boy spark in him. He just plays footaball as he plays his ninentendo/playstation not as a testosterone filled beast like Maradona.
Here is a difficult question that challenges ur hot-headed-bad-boy hypothesis. Iniesta.. Iniesta is a textbook schoolboy. What would he have achieved more if he was a bad boy.. What more trophies.. What more memorable performances. Simply What more? Now reverse it.. If he had the character of say a Cantona, what would have become of Iniesta?

Gnidrologist

He was also part of one of the best teams that ever played football, regarding both Barca and Spain. Maradona is usually praised for ability to lift his teams to different level and being relentless. He, of course, deserves all his criticism of not having great work ethic too.

JohnN

The bad boy attitude and lifestyle, just made him loved by the people because everyone saw themselves in their hero, an actual person with real problems and immense talent. Apart from that it actually destroyed his health a few years down the road. You don't get more clutch if you take drugs for breakfast, that is an absolute non sequitur.

FinBarcelonafan

The bad boy attitude and lifestyle, just made him loved by the people because everyone saw themselves in their hero, an actual person with real problems and immense talent. Apart from that it actually destroyed his health a few years down the road. You don't get more clutch if you take drugs for breakfast, that is an absolute non sequitur.

Good point. These stories make him even more of a legend when compared to Messi and Ronaldo who live pretty normal life's.

MagIX

For football fans Maradona is a genius, he's loved for his immense / unique / magical talent.

For the rest....
"Napoli is not Italy" was a banner always there when Napoli played against teams from the North.
He played his first game in Serie A (1984) in Verona (north), Napoli was welcomed with the banner "Welcome to Italy".
Welcome to the football of the North against the South, of the rich against the poor.
Brutal racist chants and racist banners... unthinkable nowadays, but in those days it was the rule as they played in northern Italy.
For Napoli/Maradona it was an US against THEM.
Maradona was the South that wins against the North, the last against the rich, the poor against racism, he raised the heads of those who were daily whipped and chastised in every sphere of life, from the economic to the social, from the political to the sporting.

For Argentina he won the WC 1986 probably with the best WC performance ever... and only four years earlier, Argentina had lost the war for the Falklans to England...and this fact still stung the Argentinians.
And then ARG vs ENG, you can immagine the atmosphere before the match! Maradona humiliated England by scoring a goal with the hand
and a goal nominated goal of the century... he couldn't do better.
It was a symbolic revenge for the Falklands War and made him cultural icon in Argentina.

BADGERBHOY

For football fans Maradona is a genius, he's loved for his immense / unique / magical talent.

For the rest....
"Napoli is not Italy" was a banner always there when Napoli played against teams from the North.
He played his first game in Serie A (1984) in Verona (north), Napoli was welcomed with the banner "Welcome to Italy".
Welcome to the football of the North against the South, of the rich against the poor.
Brutal racist chants and racist banners... unthinkable nowadays, but in those days it was the rule as they played in northern Italy.
For Napoli/Maradona it was an US against THEM.
Maradona was the South that wins against the North, the last against the rich, the poor against racism, he raised the heads of those who were daily whipped and chastised in every sphere of life, from the economic to the social, from the political to the sporting.

For Argentina he won the WC 1986 probably with the best WC performance ever... and only four years earlier, Argentina had lost the war for the Falklans to England...and this fact still stung the Argentinians.
And then ARG vs ENG, you can immagine the atmosphere before the match! Maradona humiliated England by scoring a goal with the hand
and a goal nominated goal of the century... he couldn't do better.
It was a symbolic revenge for the Falklands War and made him cultural icon in Argentina.

I was 9 years old when he humiliated England. It made him an instant hero among my young clique. The hand of God was hilarious and then seeing that second goal, as it happened, I was amazed anybody could score a goal like that. He then did it again in the semi final against Belgium, with a goal similar to Lionels at the Bernabeu in 2011. A genius at the highest level.

Total-Football

Good point. These stories make him even more of a legend when compared to Messi and Ronaldo who live pretty normal life's.

It's not a good point.. Ur missing his point.. He is not talking about being more appealing / interesting / non-boring, that we all agree with.. Hell if we talking about character give me bentdner over Messi, he tried to forcefully correlate that with in-field-success.

FinBarcelonafan

It's not a good point.. Ur missing his point.. He is not talking about being more appealing / interesting / non-boring, that we all agree with.. Hell if we talking about character give me bentdner over Messi, he tried to forcefully correlate that with in-field-success.

Yeah I meant it's tough to relate to someone like Ronaldo who is high functioning robot basically, but you can relate to Maradona with his issues.

Home of Barca Fans