23 - Jules Kounde

Sorin

He's 22 ffs. Very few CBs have been world beaters at that age. He's 2-3 years before the beginning of his prime and at least 6 before his peak. Of course, nobody knows if he'll improve at the same rate but for a 22 yo CB he's at a very good level. From what [MENTION=23081]Bulgroz[/MENTION] is saying he's very serious about his career so wouldn't doubt that he'll keep improving.

That said, for his current level, I feel 70m is too much considering the pandemic going around in the world. On the other hand Sevilla is not forced to sell right now for less than his reported 70m release clause so yeah.

Yannik

I mean I agree, can't always throw every CB under the bus for a horror show or a temporary patch of struggle, because essentially you will end up not wanting anyone in the end. Upamecano is equally rated as Kounde but also looked out of place vs United and Liverpool. Still Upa at least costed half of what Kounde would cost. 70m is a drastic exaggeration, I think as long as he costs that it's not worth it. But his price will drop, he will still not be in the midst of his 20s and become an interesting option for every top club out there.

behindbrowneyes

He is still young, but you still need to relax and follow the development of players who cost a lot closely. It happened already to other players that they looked like the next big thing but couldn't fulfill the promises after showing early signs of that quality. Having a great season is one thing, showing that class on a constant basis is a different story.

Guys like Mangala, Renato Sanches, Dybala, Isco, James, Dembele come to mind. I don't think Bayern is really happy with Lucas after what they have paid for him.

Messi983

I mean I agree, can't always throw every CB under the bus for a horror show or a temporary patch of struggle, because essentially you will end up not wanting anyone in the end. Upamecano is equally rated as Kounde but also looked out of place vs United and Liverpool. Still Upa at least costed half of what Kounde would cost. 70m is a drastic exaggeration, I think as long as he costs that it's not worth it. But his price will drop, he will still not be in the midst of his 20s and become an interesting option for every top club out there.

He is still young, but you still need to relax and follow the development of players who cost a lot closely. It happened already to other players that they looked like the next big thing but couldn't fulfill the promises after showing early signs of that quality. Having a great season is one thing, showing that class on a constant basis is a different story.

Guys like Mangala, Renato Sanches, Dybala, Isco, James, Dembele come to mind. I don't think Bayern is really happy with Lucas after what they have paid for him.

You've both made fair points. I'm not saying he's worth 70m right now but Sevilla paid 25m for him (which was a big gamble for a club of their stature) and they have every right to demand his clause if any club wants him. They will either sell him for what they think he's worth or gladly keep him for another season any maybe sell Diego Carlos (who's older but they could still get around 40m for him from an EPL club) instead. Possibly also Ocampos/YEN.

But being slightly overpriced (especially in these times) doesn't also mean he's overrated. Just because he has struggled against Haaland who even prime Beckenbauer/Maldini/insert your random GOAT CB would have a lot of problems to deal with. Sometimes you just have to give credit to strikers instead of blaming the defenders.

That said, we should just buy both EBH and JK so Kounde would only need to "worry about" Haaland in trainings. :lol: I'm sure both of them would also benefit going against each other on trainings as well though.

Porque

Seems to me he's lost a bit of form and thus confidence.

Maybe it has been his playing style and I just hadn't realised it before. But too tentative committing to challenges and it is leading to mistakes.

Sorin

Obviously.

He is not that good.

1.78m ball playing CB.

Araujo all the way.

That's the same height as Puyol. Of course Puyol also had insane determination and drive, just saying that height is not that important. Cannavaro was also a little short for a CB but a damn great defender. Ramos is only 1.84m and also great. There are other attributes more important than height.

Bulgroz

Damn the Croatians on here are riding the full on hate train on every French player in the world apparently. Chill out dudes, it's fine, he had a couple bad games against Haaland (he's not the first, he won't be the last) and overall he's in pretty poor form right now. Which might also be linked to all the extra attention he got after that Barca first leg game. Never easy to handle a lot of pressure all of a sudden, especially for young players, but he'll get there. He also had to find his marks when he joined Sevilla with a big price tag over his head, but after a couple months he became an instant starter.

70M might be slightly overpriced but not by a lot. It's not like there are dozens of 22yo CB who have achieved much more than him on the market right now, which obviously leads to an inflated price. As someone said, Sevilla paid 25M for him (and they'll have to give 25% of the selling price to Bordeaux) so they're in no rush to sell him, which also leads to an inflated price.

Messi983

Yeah, I think he'd fit great alongside Araujo. if we see him as our future starting CB; he clearly has potential for that but will have to prove he can stay healthy longterm.

But sadly I don't believe we'll ever see them play together.

mc_lovin

Jules Kounde: “It’s clear that I’ll change my team this summer, but nothing is done yet. I want to grow at a big club”.

Still the absolute dream transfer for me. Just finance him with Lenglet and Trincao :p FIFA mode.

El Gato

Villarato!
Jules Kounde: ?It?s clear that I?ll change my team this summer, but nothing is done yet. I want to grow at a big club?.

Still the absolute dream transfer for me. Just finance him with Lenglet and Trincao :p FIFA mode.

He didn't put it that way actually. Some Twitter aggregator account twisted it a bit along the way. Some used the word 'clear', others said 'certain'.
He said he 'might have to change team this summer'.

https://www.francefootball.fr/news/...-librement-des-choses-qui-me-touchent/1256719

Home of Barca Fans