Ernesto Valverde

malvolio

But having a "worse squad" is often brought up to downplay EVs achievements and defend coaches after him.

Agreed. Lucho is overrated for me. Surely not better than EV. Both are mediocre managers.

And it could be argued EV got more from the squad he got, than Lucho.

serghei

Lucho is naturally more of a leader than EV. Personality counts as a manager. It is actually an underrated part of the job.

EV is a nice dude actually. Too nice for truly stressful managerial jobs.

Messigician

Lucho is naturally more of a leader than EV. Personality counts as a manager. It is actually an underrated part of the job.

Every player loves Valverde

Same can't be said for Lucho

Horatio

You're welcome

At least point out EV's strengths in comparison to LE. Not gonna lie, I think EV has one of the best understandings of the game tactically. I think you should have made mention of his forte in tactics.

serghei

At least point out EV's strengths in comparison to LE. Not gonna lie, I think EV has one of the best understandings of the game tactically. I think you should have made mention of his forte in tactics.

EV is a good tactician, I agree. Lucho is good too. EV might even be a bit ahead. But Lucho wins out by simply having a bigger sack.

Messigician

I would love EV too if I was an amigo. No doubt. Barto + EV, the nicest boss duo in the world. Alba's and Pique's grand grand-kids will be forever indebted even if they don't know it.

I mean EV was ruthless when he needed to be

Arthur, Malcom, Mina, Gomes, Etc

Horatio

You're welcome
EV is a good tactician, I agree. Lucho is good too. EV might even be a bit ahead. But Lucho wins out by simply having a bigger sack.

I was about to reply to your post as per again you seemed reluctant to put EV ahead of Lucho. But then saw you revised your post where you did acknowledge he is better tactically. That is good.

Joan

You are all judging a manager and his profile on a short stint he had here. Valverde is known to be pragmatic and adaptable. He worked with an old squad at Barca and got the best out of it. I'd argue he overachieved even though those defeats leave a bitter taste. Worked with kids at Bilbao and did well.

You're all saying he couldn't do the rebuilt and stuck with old guard when the board didn't support him to rebuild the squad. It's easy benching Pique when you've got Kounde and Christensen. Try benching him with one legged Umtiti and Lenglet as your only options. Or leave Suarez out when you've got Abel Ruiz in the B team. Valverde introduced many youngsters and was a sharp judge of talent. And it's a fact he got none of his wishes granted. I bet Valverde would enjoy the treatment Xavi has. Pragmatic managers have to adapt to the strategies boards propose and work within rigid frameworks.

Last edited:

Messigician

Valverde's project at Athletic Club is one of the most exciting of the season (as expected), and the rewards are already showing.
Wide wingers pinning their men to ensure Muniain + Sancet can receive between the lines & therefore have the strongest impact possible.

Andresito

Staff member
Valverde's project at Athletic Club is one of the most exciting of the season (as expected), and the rewards are already showing.
Wide wingers pinning their men to ensure Muniain + Sancet can receive between the lines & therefore have the strongest impact possible.

Where did you copy paste this from?

Home of Barca Fans