Ernesto Valverde

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Allegri is a more successful, higher profile version of Valverde. He's a better Valverde, but still a similar type of manager.

Devils

Valverde gone...check
Saurez gone...check
Alba benched (if Setien is appointed)...check

Now just need to get rid of:

Rakitic
Pique
Busi

Halfway there, fam.

serghei

Setien is fine until the summer. Doesn't have bigger credentials than Valverde had, that's for sure, but I find him a more competent possession based manager. Team was going from worse to worse under Ernie anyway, so better react now.

Also, if they plan to bring in Xavi, Setien makes sense.

DonAK

I would avoid Xavi for the summer now and instead focus on a manager with some winning experience that's proven something in the CL.

The likes of ten Hag, Pochettino(not a big fan) comes to mind. Perhaps Tuchel depending on how PSG do in the CL and if he leaves, although also not a big fan.

DonAK

It's time Barca hire a manager with some pedigree. Tired of the likes of Tata, Valverde and Setien(i'm okay with him being a short-term solution..).

Havesaks

Allegri is basically the opposite of Setien, a big improvement over Valverde in everything else, but not in the way he sets his teams up to play. While Setien has that going for him, but is an unknown in terms of managing big egos and stars. A combination of Setien and Allegri would've been perfect.

Yes, setien is just a big gamble. We still have leauge and both cups to play for.

Anyway, whoever it's gonna be of those 3, it will be interesting the next 5 months.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Can't imagine Setien would agree to only be appointed as the interim manager.

Xavi I don't think he is ready for us yet. Needs more experience than coaching in Qatar for 7 months.

serghei

I would avoid Xavi for the summer now and instead focus on a manager with some winning experience that's proven something in the CL.

The likes of ten Hag, Pochettino(not a big fan) comes to mind. Perhaps Tuchel depending on how PSG do in the CL and if he leaves, although also not a big fan.

Actually, it would kind of be the best for Setien to do well, and keep him for 1.5 years and then transition to Xavi and a new Board. That is how I would go. Setien until 2021 under current board, then Xavi + new supportive board.

Ten Hag is Bayern bound. Man speaks German and was an assistant manager there. Makes sense.

But with Setien it's pretty clear what you get. Somebody who won't rock the boat but will improve the quality of our football. He is a partial fix and a step in the right direction, but we need more in the close future.

Last edited:

DonAK

Actually, it would kind of be the best for Setien to do well, and keep him for 1.5 years and then transition to Xavi and a new Board.

Ten Hag is Bayern bound. Man speaks German and was an assistant manager. Makes sense.

I'm not so convinced ten Hag is Bayern-bound. Latest reports suggest they might prefer Tuchel who could be available at the end of the season.

I don't rate Setien highly enough to believe he's anything more than short-term solution, but I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong and do well.

Home of Barca Fans