Lionel Messi - v7

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
He needs to do something and sign a 1-year extension for an extremely low fee like 1m a year or something to be registered for La Liga. Prove his loyalty to the club after the stratospheric contract Bartomeu gave him putting the club at risk once covid hit. That's part of the reason why we're in this mess, his 600m contract or whatever it was.

It's either this or go. No miracle solution. I want him to stay, but he needs to understand the situation the club is in. He's one of our biggest legends, has to help out, he's been paid more than enough in the last few years. He can take 1m a year as a gesture to help the club survive without selling big assets for the future like De Jong, Pedri, Fati etc.

I think if by the time we are close to the end of the window and the new season is about to start, we still can't find a way to renew and register him, something like that will have to be the way to go. It will be good for both the club and himself, as it will certainly not be good for Messi to not play in Europe for a year. I doubt any club like City or PSG, would want to scoop him that late, given his wages.

serghei

I think if by the time we are close to the end of the window and the new season is about to start, we still can't find a way to renew and register him, something like that will have to be the way to go. It will be good for both the club and himself, as it will certainly not be good for Messi to not play in Europe for a year. I doubt any club like City or PSG, would want to scoop him that late, given his wages.

I think it would be immense as a PR move for him as well.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think it would be immense as a PR move for him as well.

It certainly will be, but I am not sure if he and his entourage will see it that way.

I think it is pretty clear nobody can afford his wages and Messi wants to stay, it is just a matter of how far he is willing to go to do that.

We clearly benefit from Messi staying both sporting-wise and financially but the effect is waning nevertheless so if it comes to the worst, he leaves and we take a big hit, we will have to tighten our belt and grit our teeth and deal with it.

Last edited:

Prodi

Maybe Tebas would not believe such low figures and the following rule would be used. If Messi earned 75M net and now earn 1M, the wages would be 75+1 /2 = 38M
Here they comment on a real example from 2 years ago in LFP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rwIR5M7uRo
A player earned 2M and his contract ended- Theywant to sign him for ? 200,000. LFP computes a 1M salary cap. The club could not sign him.

He may actually earn 1M but LFP computes you 38M for the salary cap rule. Maybe it changes if it's a one-year contract but who knows.

Last edited:

serghei

Maybe Tebas would not believe such low figures and the following rule would be used. If Messi earned 75M net and now earn 1M, the wages would be 75+1 /2 = 38M

He may actually earn 1M but LFP computes you 38M for the salary cap rule. Maybe it changes if it's a one-year contract but who knows.

What Tebas cares about or believes is irrelevant, it's pure economics. Messi can be paid 1m a year legally no problems. It's well above minimum wage for a footballer.

Besides, from a moral standpoint, if it's any other way the rule stops making sense and becomes abusive. Unless it's meant to stop players from being registered which would be dumb, why would you want the most marketable players to no play in your league? The purpose of the rule is to stop clubs from spending money they don't make. So if we pay Messi 1m a year, the rule did what was meant to do.

All would be legal. It's not like in reality we pay Messi more, which would be a criminal act, like money laundering.

Last edited:

Prodi

What Tebas cares about or believes is irrelevant, it's pure economics. Messi can be paid 1m a year legally no problems. It's well above minimum wage for a footballer.

Besides, from a moral standpoint, if it's any other way the rule stops making sense and becomes abusive. Unless it's meant to stop players from being registered which would be dumb, why would you want the most marketable players to no play in your league? The purpose of the rule is to stop clubs from spending money they don't make. So if we pay Messi 1m a year, the rule did what was meant to do.

All would be legal. It's not like in reality we pay Messi more, which would be a criminal act, like money laundering.

This is the problem with second division teams that are promoted to first division. They have new money, but the salary cap is low and they cannot sign players of this level even by lowering their wages because there is a big difference between their old contract and the new one. And the LFP doesn't believe it

It's stupid, but that's how the League works with the abnormal rules of Tebas.

These rules are created for small teams with financial problems to prevent debt and the disappearance of clubs due to financial problems. They were not intended for Barcelona, ​​Madrid, etc. that is why it is stupid that Thebes want to apply them to Barcelona and in such a violent way.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

A player earned 2M and his contract ended- Theywant to sign him for ? 200,000. LFP computes a 1M salary cap. The club could not sign him.

Tebas works for clubs, not the other way around.
Losing Messi, just a year before the election for his position won't end up nicely for him.
It will be bad for whole league.
Going for a stunt like this, that would surely be challenged in courts btw, won't work well for anyone.
That said, I doubt this will happen anyway.

serghei

This is the problem with second division teams that are promoted to first division. They have new money, but the salary cap is low and they cannot sign players of this level even by lowering their wages because there is a big difference between their old contract and the new one. And the LFP doesn't believe it

It's stupid, but that's how the League works with the abnormal rules of Tebas.

Then we take them to CAS and sue them for liability if they refuse to register him, and will also ask for compensations which will be given to Messi. :lol: Win-win.

LFP and Tebas will pay Messi's wage instead of us. Glorious move by Laporta.

serghei

Anyway, the untouchable option should be selling highly prized assets. I'm sure that is off the table. Not least because all teams would low-ball us knowing how much we need the money. Much like Atletico are doing with the Griezmann - Saul exchange.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yeah this salary cap thing can do a lot of good, especially for undisciplined clubs like us who can't stop spending but it can be really self-crippling.

Tebas should have relaxed it for both 20/21 and 21/22 season. When COVID is gone it can go back to be in full effect, it is ridiculous that he refused to extend the relaxation to 21/22 when clubs are still suffering from COVID.

serghei

You think PSG and City will pay him less than us?

Yea, really odd logic. Going to oil clubs when your dream club is in financial turmoil can only mean one thing in terms of image and public perception. Barca couldn't pay him so he went for one of the few clubs that can.

If he wanted to leave for sporting reasons he would've done it by now. He waits to see if his contract will get through, ratified by La Liga. It's all about money. The parts have agreed and only thing lacking is La Liga accepting to register him.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yea, really odd logic. Going to oil clubs when your dream club is in financial turmoil can only mean one thing in terms of image and public perception. Barca couldn't pay him so he went for one of the few clubs that can.

I don't think Messi is necessarily looking for more money if he goes to City or PSG etc., ie, that is not the reason he is going there (winning more trophies, especially CL is likely the reason) but at the same time I don't think those clubs will be paying him less than we did at all. He will be making at least what he is making here, if not more.

Home of Barca Fans