Lionel Messi - v7

Don't see what the big deal is here. Barca isn't winning cl with Messi anyway he and they couldn't with way better teams than current barca. A good bit of blame goes on Messi as well no just everyone else. He was not very good vs top teams for the last 4ish years. Him staying doesn't really give barca any edge. I would rater him gone and not cripple the club by trying to retain him. It's about time barca tries to be a real team that doesnt play for Messi.

Sterlingfan2000

I don't think Messi wants more money than previously agreed but I think he could have questions why he should accept 50% pay cut if other captains would only take 40% and it seems they don't even want to accept that. I could totally understand him here tbh. He was carrying Busi, Alba and Pique on his shoulders for years.

He was earning 2,7M per Week + 70M loyalty Bonus. That's a rip off . Ronaldo who is as marketable as Messi wasnt even earning half of that

Messi983

Why not lol.

If the club takes more hits financially because our sponsors suddenly decide to pay us less money or pull out because of this he better drag their name. Not like Laporta would survive for long anyway.

Don't disagree. I think he should but just don't think he would.

Raketa10

Barcelona, even after the investment money from La Liga, did not find an appropriate formula to register Messi. This is what causes major problems. [sport]

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Now they're saying Jorge Messi broke off the negotiations when Laporta told him they cannot register Messi right now and don't know when that could be resolved, especially as Barcelona won't agree to the capital injection.

Makes sense if they're tired of waiting for that to happen.

To be fair, this could all be smoke. Who knows. It's been a shitshow the entire summer anyway.

Hardy

romero says it's all about the SpOrTinG PrOjEcT. now I find this not credible, season is about to start and this cat isn't happy about the sporting project now? after 2 months of negotiations?

xxxxxx

I mean, you can't blame Messi. They've had over 2 months to sort this shit out and he's still no closer to signing a new contract. He can't wait around that long because he still wants to play consistent football next season.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It can't be about the sporting project. Messi should know that our hands are tied and we can't even register the free signings because of the salary cap, let alone more signings. And you don't go to a meeting just to tell the club, I have a last minute change of heart, I don't like the squad we have.

xxxxxx

romero says it's all about the SpOrTinG PrOjEcT. now I find this not credible, season is about to start and this cat isn't happy about the sporting project now? after 2 months of negotiations?

It could be. Laporta might have promised him kinds before June.... and he probably hasn't spoken to Messi since the end of May. Messi has had a good 2 months to see what Laporta has brought into the club.... and let's be honest, it isn't great. It isn't Laporta's fault, but it's not really that competitive of a squad.

It's probably both sporting and money reasons.

gulaman

No doubt money is a huge factor - no sane player would accept a 50% reduction in salary when there is another club willing to pay him what he's worth. But putting money aside, Barca is realistically not going to be winning La Liga or Champions League in the next 2 years, and 2 years is all Messi has left at the top. If City or PSG want to pay Messi what he wants over the next 2 years then I can't blame him for leaving since they will also be challenging for the Champions League.

Sterlingfan2000

No doubt money is a huge factor - no sane player would accept a 50% reduction in salary when there is another club willing to pay him what he's worth. But putting money aside, Barca is realistically not going to be winning La Liga or Champions League in the next 2 years, and 2 years is all Messi has left at the top. If City or PSG want to pay Messi what he wants over the next 2 years then I can't blame him for leaving since they will also be challenging for the Champions League.

50% wage cut still means he's earning 70M per year. He still will be best paid player by a mile

Home of Barca Fans