Lionel Messi - v7

Richard.H

Love this lad but I truly hope he renews for one year and actually sell him this summer and use his money for a potential substitute for his position. Also Pique needs to leave as well so does Roberto .. only Busquets from the oldies has a place and Busquets should be a sub .. this summer we should prioritize a CDM

Edit: keep Alba as well as a sub and get a LB .. get a CB .. get back Emerson .. and buy a ST who can actually score
Nice to see you back!

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
He clearly doesn't trust his teammates bar Alba once the going get tough. Becomes selfish, tries to dribble past 4-5 players, attempts obvious 1-2 with Alba. I also think he was done with this team's defensive performance after the third goal, and I for one don't blame him for that. He has seen that shit too many times in the last 4-5 years. Of course he has some blame as a captain who cannot instill at least some mental fortitude into the team once we start crumbling.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Won't be surprised if he leaves.

We're in big trouble if he leaves though because we got no money to replace him and the team will likely be much worse next season if he's gone.

pregra

This team without Messi would struggle for top 10. Not just does he score and create almost everything, but imagine not having him as a fear factor; opposing teams would go even more attacking and with our defending there us only one outcome. For his sake I hope he leaves but we are fecked without him next season.

CatalinR10

We're in big trouble if he leaves though because we got no money to replace him and the team will likely be much worse next season if he's gone.

well on the plus side Barca gets to save a lot of money from his salary but I feel like we'll have to do a lot of work to catch even the 4th spot for the CL.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything

Could be better with a decent coach eg a tuchel and the oldies gone....

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

Well it had to happen sooner or later. We'll have to be content with finishing 3rd-4th for a couple of years.

DonAK

well on the plus side Barca gets to save a lot of money from his salary but I feel like we'll have to do a lot of work to catch even the 4th spot for the CL.

While true it might have negative consequences for the club with the Rakuten deal running out and how desperate the current board are trying to look for outside investment to get out of the rut the last board and COVID left the club in.

A bit tougher to negotiate better deals if you have no superstars in your team or someone those companies want to associate themselves with.

Could be better with a decent coach eg a tuchel and the oldies gone....

Maybe. We have to hope someone like Xavi doesn't turn out to be a bum like Pirlo as a manager.

Well it had to happen sooner or later. We'll have to be content with finishing 3rd-4th for a couple of years.

Yeah, but the club in general is in a very tough spot right now and kinda need to hold onto to whatever they can.

Porque

This team without Messi would struggle for top 10. Not just does he score and create almost everything, but imagine not having him as a fear factor; opposing teams would go even more attacking and with our defending there us only one outcome. For his sake I hope he leaves but we are fecked without him next season.

Absolutely we will suck, but LaLiga is so poor that we surely would get a top 4 spot without him. The gap between 4th and 5th is 15 points- so 5 more losses. Plus I would expect us to increase our overall workrate and perform as a team.

I don't know if it is heresay and just rumours, but back when Villarreal looked like they would relegate to Segunda a few seasons back I heard that the intention was to actually go to Segunda to get rid of their big player contracts and reset their finances. Villarreal did end up getting relegated and returned to LaLiga a year later and the relegation didn't really affect them. So in the same way, maybe losing Messi can be the first step to resetting our finances.

Of course we may lose some commercial value, but how much have Madrid lost with Ronaldo going? It is not as if Messi would leave at his peak, he is soon to be 34 and there is going to be a point of diminishing return between what he brings and what is wages are. If already we cannot maintain his current contract, it means that the commercial benefits are already outweighed.

Last edited:

feggydinho

He clearly doesn't trust his teammates bar Alba once the going get tough. Becomes selfish, tries to dribble past 4-5 players, attempts obvious 1-2 with Alba. I also think he was done with this team's defensive performance after the third goal, and I for one don't blame him for that. He has seen that shit too many times in the last 4-5 years. Of course he has some blame as a captain who cannot instill at least some mental fortitude into the team once we start crumbling.

agree with everything apart from the defense, he wasnt defending from the start. seemed to have reduced that part

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Messi is not the problem, or one of the least problems we have. Tactically we are clueless and erratic, defense from the scrappy CBs we have to Ter Tegen is so leaky and beyond repair, attacking-wise we have created chances but poor decisions and finishing let us down many times. Story of the season.

Messi staying is a double-edge sword. He will still be able to help us a great deal both on and off the field, however at the same time our dependence on him will not get any better. That crude awakening will come sooner or later, that we won’t have him to score and create for us, sooner or later we will have to adapt and move on.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
And where those super young players to replace the oldies?/Hmm? We can t splash money like Chelsea.

While true it might have negative consequences for the club with the Rakuten deal running out and how desperate the current board are trying to look for outside investment to get out of the rut the last board and COVID left the club in.

A bit tougher to negotiate better deals if you have no superstars in your team or someone those companies want to associate themselves with.

Maybe. We have to hope someone like Xavi doesn't turn out to be a bum like Pirlo as a manager.

Yeah, but the club in general is in a very tough spot right now and kinda need to hold onto to whatever they can.

Getting rid of a 100m p.a salary will enable us to make signings fairly easily. Auour kanoute even halaand may be possible.

Not holding my breath for xavi.

DonAK

Messi is not the problem, or one of the least problems we have. Tactically we are clueless and erratic, defense from the scrappy CBs we have to Ter Tegen is so leaky and beyond repair, attacking-wise we have created chances but poor decisions and finishing let us down many times. Story of the season.

Messi staying is a double-edge sword. He will still be able to help us a great deal both on and off the field, however at the same time our dependence on him will not get any better. That crude awakening will come sooner or later, that we won’t have him to score and create for us, sooner or later we will have to adapt and move on.

The dependence on Messi is a by-product of poor investment and coaching IMO.

Rory

Didn?t watch today, was busy and assumed we?d win (big lol). I see Messi scored, did he score an own goal also? Seems like it from reactions

Home of Barca Fans