Lionel Messi - v7

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Don't know about City since Pep is a weirdo, but FFP is basically suspended right now. That's what City reportedly told their fan groups in a meeting with them.

PSG certainly would take him on a one year deal. I imagine a lot of other teams would get in touch if Messi is willing to agree to a reasonable salary.

Not that it matters anyway since Messi is staying.

I don't know, even the mighty City Football Group which everyone thought they had endless amount of money had to borrow a loan in the amount of $650m from three institutions (Barclays, HSBC and KKR Capital) recently. Especially if they sign Grealish for 100m or something, don't know if they are willing to dish out a lot of money to pay Messi's wages. PSG, as newcomer said were mostly going after free transfers so they might not be in a position to sign him either because of his wages.

I think Messi is agreeing to a temporary paycut because he wants to stay here, not sure if he will lower his wage demands if he goes elsewhere in Europe.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't know, even the mighty City Football Group which everyone thought they had endless amount of money had to borrow a loan in the amount of $650m from three institutions (Barclays, HSBC and KKR Capital) recently. Especially if they sign Grealish for 100m or something, don't know if they are willing to dish out a lot of money to pay Messi's wages. PSG, as newcomer said were mostly going after free transfers so they might not be in a position to sign him either because of his wages.

I think Messi is agreeing to a temporary paycut because he wants to stay here, not sure if he will lower his wage demands if he goes elsewhere in Europe.

Why are City taking out a loan? Because their owner cannot directly pump money in the club.

Same goes for PSG. If they want Messi their owners will take a loan which a banking institution will give them easily since they know it'll be paid back with no issues.

If Barca cannot sign Messi he simply won't take a year off. There's a World Cup next year and Messi is extremely competitive. You don't reach the heights he has without being like that.

He'll take a paycut and join PSG, or City, or some other top European team.

KingLeo10

Is anyone seriously thinking LIONEL MESSI would just take a random year off from football if we don't manage to sign him?

Come on dawgs.

Horatio

You're welcome
Is anyone seriously thinking LIONEL MESSI would just take a random year off from football if we don't manage to sign him?

Come on dawgs.

Impossible. But it also makes me more confident he’s staying. No we haven’t heard confirmation of him staying yet, but the same goes for rumours of him negotiating with other clubs. He is staying.

kattanib

If we can't renew him, chances are he is going to miss European football for a season, since I don't think any other European clubs are in a position to sign him, even if they wanted to.

If I were a Messi fan I wouldn't want to see that.

Why would anyone be a fan of a player instead of being a fan of a club? That I do not understand.. it is more sustainable to support a system or a philosophy, to support a heritage and a vision, to support generations upon generations of players and coaches

Why would anyone be a fan of a player instead of being a fan of a club? That I do not understand.. it is more sustainable to support a system or a philosophy, to support a heritage and a vision, to support generations upon generations of players and coaches

Because we live in a society full of simps and impressionable young people, that deride their worth from celebrity culture.

Yesterday r/soccer was discussing the Super League, criticizing the "wage cap" - because "it puts the money in the pocket of executives and not the players". Meaning those idiots would prefer the club going bankrupt in order to pay overinflated wages to their imaginary girlfriends (favorite players). I'm all for good wages - but at some point you cannot take the side of the greedy over the interests of the club you've supported all your life. For years Barcelona suffered because of the crazy wages some of the players got - more than they would have gotten at any team. Did we get a CL in return? No - and even worse: when the club has financial issues like today, the players have nothing to do with it, don't feel a tinge of responsibility or even interest to help in some way.

I love Messi as a player. But let's get things straight: if he would have arrived in Spain to play at Espanyol and not Barca, he would have left that team ages ago. It's easy to stay at the same team for 20 years when the club gives out some of the biggest paychecks in world football. This is not about his value as a player (we all know he's the GOAT) but money, pure and simple. The club can't afford some of its players - now what should the club do? Sell its assets, give 100 million footballers away for nothing, screw our future as a club - just for signing the guy who commends the biggest wage in football?

And yeah, I know, it's not Messi's fault - the ex-president gave him that enormous paycheck, the fans gladly accepted it because it wasn't their money and everyone went their merry way - as in being humiliated once again in CL football. There is something wrong with the culture of FC Barcelona when everyone gets at the wheel of a car that's tumbling down in a ravine - not to slam the brakes but the acceleration.

vegitot

Back then : OMG Valverde is the biggest fraud. Fire him and everything will be fine
Now: OMG Messi is the biggest fraud. Fire him and everything will be fine.

What is some of you guys next excuse???

Mitchell1978

Football clubs are often subject to politics and agendas. And often questionable sporting choices.

It does not seem illogical at all to support a particular exceptional player or talent rather then a club.
After all, they are the ones who make the sport attractive.

Football clubs are often subject to politics and agendas. And often questionable sporting choices.

It does not seem illogical at all to support a particular exceptional player or talent rather then a club.
After all, they are the ones who make the sport attractive.

What you are saying here is that modern football fans should follow players rather than clubs - so if you're a Ronaldo fan, you go from Sporting to United, from Madrid to Juventus just like a random whore. Doesn't matter the history of the club, the community it represents - nope, we go for the best players. So in your fantasy world, all football fans should care is the top 50 players; the rest of the "non-exceptional" players and the "non-exceptional" clubs should go to hell.

Yeah, that's a horrible future and hope I'll be dead before that happens.

KingLeo10

The fact that he is likely to join one of them if not Barca confirms his problem in creating amigos and not separating between person and professional relationships

Yeah his awful professionalism has resulted in 10 LL, 4 CL, 1 Copa, 750 goals, and a unanimous top 3 of all time CV. Meanwhile, you've been spouting the same nonsense like a broken record. I wouldn't even call it professional trolling because the quality is subpar :mou:

Home of Barca Fans