Lionel Messi - v7

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Cristiano left at 33 as club legend and its greatest player ever (for most fans at least) and after 3 consecutive CL wins and 4 in 5 years. Unprecedent in CL era (under its current name)
With strong brand and history I think they were capable to survive it, players who won those trophies are still marketable.
If there was no covid, I think Messi leaving would hit us but not as badly, as at the age of 33/34 he had his career here and is a player leaving at end of his prime. You can still live on that if you have some poster boys to show.

This is why I always argued that if Messi leaves then Barca need a big name signing, no matter the financial condition.

But still, no impact whatsoever? Somebody might argue against it but I think Ronaldo was a huge part of Real Madrid's consecutive CL wins last decade and to think about his brand power, his pull with the sponsors and merchandise sales and match day income (not as much as ours as Madrid has less tourists but still quite significant), I would imagine the impact would be comparable to Messi's, albeit perhaps slightly smaller.

Florentino Perez the business and financial genius and guru, I wish you a speedy recovery.

Morten

But still, no impact whatsoever? Somebody might argue against it but I think Ronaldo was a huge part of Real Madrid's consecutive CL wins last decade and to think about his brand power, his pull with the sponsors and merchandise sales and match day income (not as much as ours as Madrid has less tourists but still quite significant), I would imagine the impact would be comparable to Messi's, albeit perhaps slightly smaller.

Florentino Perez the business and financial genius and guru, I wish you a speedy recovery.

Impact on finances? Perhaps his wages and bonuses balanced out what he brought to the club.

What was Messi's salary during the years 2009-2017? There's a May 2017 Forbes article that states that Ronaldo was earning $58M gross in salary+bonuses and Messi was earning 50M gross in s+b. Ronaldo is costing Juve nearly 350M Euros (4 years) in both signing fee and gross wages and those folks don't even have a 50,000+ capacity stadium. I'm sure their annual earnings are not as much as Barcas. Griezmann's overall numbers would be the same for his 5 years.

When trash like Drake is raking in $75M a year, I think a genius footballer like Messi, who has brought joy to millions with his brand of football, absolutely deserves his money.

If Laporta wins the elections, it would be nice of Messi to offer to play for free for a year (with the promise of a future post), it can help the club in signing Haaland, would immortalize his legacy like nothing else and crush any propaganda against him. After 2022 WC, he can move to MLS to get that bumper contract that Beckham probably offered him.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What was Messi's salary during the years 2009-2017? There's a May 2017 Forbes article that states that Ronaldo was earning $58M gross in salary+bonuses and Messi was earning 50M gross in s+b. Ronaldo is costing Juve nearly 350M Euros (4 years) in both signing fee and gross wages and those folks don't even have a 50,000+ capacity stadium. I'm sure their annual earnings are not as much as Barcas. Griezmann's overall numbers would be the same for his 5 years.

When trash like Drake is raking in $75M a year, I think a genius footballer like Messi, who has brought joy to millions with his brand of football, absolutely deserves his money.

If Laporta wins the elections, it would be nice of Messi to offer to play for free for a year (with the promise of a future post), it can help the club in signing Haaland, would immortalize his legacy like nothing else and crush any propaganda against him. After 2022 WC, he can move to MLS to get that bumper contract that Beckham probably offered him.

He would never do that. Probably no player would ever do that.

soul24rage

Italy has a tax law that allows Ronaldo to not pay as much tax than if he had stayed in Spain.

It would be really nice if Messi played for free, maybe all the Barca players should play for free to help the club sign someone like Haaland lol

Italy has a tax law that allows Ronaldo to not pay as much tax than if he had stayed in Spain.

It would be really nice if Messi played for free, maybe all the Barca players should play for free to help the club sign someone like Haaland lol

It's about how much he's costing Juve and the numbers are still mammoth considering Juve isn't a rich club when compared to Barca and it's an uncharacteristic signing for them. Well, Messi is the one who is under fire and not the other players so they aren't under any pressure to reduce their salaries. Of course, he wouldn't do it, but if one "loves" the club and trust their friend in Laporte (Barto has dug a grave for him) and a future association, then it's not totally unthinkable for him to take that step.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It's about how much he's costing Juve and the numbers are still mammoth considering Juve isn't a rich club when compared to Barca and it's an uncharacteristic signing for them. Well, Messi is the one who is under fire and not the other players so they aren't under any pressure to reduce their salaries. Of course, he wouldn't do it, but if one "loves" the club and trust their friend in Laporte (Barto has dug a grave for him) and a future association, then it's not totally unthinkable for him to take that step.

What future association? Messi is a great footballer and can be a great ambassador and asset from the legacy and reputation perspective, I don't see him having the capacity and interest to do anything other than that, such as being a manager or a sporting director or a business executive etc.

What future association? Messi is a great footballer and can be a great ambassador and asset from the legacy and reputation perspective, I don't see him having the capacity and interest to do anything other than that, such as being a manager or a sporting director or a business executive etc.

Didn't he himself said in the latest interview that he'd like to take the role of a sporting director in the future?

Newcomer

What I don't get is the Nike's fixation with PSG with regard to the Jordan brand stuff, the only club they are doing it with. Are they doing that because of the Paris - fashion - chic association?

Yeah. They explained that PSG was already courtine them for a special collaboration. PSG is doing it with other brands in fashion. There was the Colette PSG association, the something monkey (a japanese brand i think). Then Neymar signed and he had some sort of relationship with Jordan brand. It made the deal easier and it worked out well. It also helps the Jordan logo can look ? bit like the Eiffel tower on PSG logo.

PSG had the "IT" factor and Nike and Jordan are always looking for more opportunity to expand their reach and get money.

Yannik

He would never do that. Probably no player would ever do that.

Some players do that instead of retiring, but all of them choose to go down to sunday league football rather than stick with professional football. I guess once the monetary aspect is out of the way, players would ditch the top leagues and just play the rest of their late 30s as a hobby rather than an unpleasant job.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Didn't he himself said in the latest interview that he'd like to take the role of a sporting director in the future?

I missed that. Did he really say that? I don't see him as a potential sporting director at all. He doesn't strike me as someone who is great at communicating with others (not there is anything wrong with it).

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yeah. They explained that PSG was already courtine them for a special collaboration. PSG is doing it with other brands in fashion. There was the Colette PSG association, the something monkey (a japanese brand i think). Then Neymar signed and he had some sort of relationship with Jordan brand. It made the deal easier and it worked out well. It also helps the Jordan logo can look ? bit like the Eiffel tower on PSG logo.

PSG had the "IT" factor and Nike and Jordan are always looking for more opportunity to expand their reach and get money.

Looks like we could hire your commercial directors...

Horatio

You're welcome
If Messi does decide to become Sporting Director it's because he really wants to. So he has that going for him.
He is already practically drowning in money.

Jadentheman

I missed that. Did he really say that? I don't see him as a potential sporting director at all. He doesn't strike me as someone who is great at communicating with others (not there is anything wrong with it).

True. He would be far better teaching kids and scouting youth talent around the world.

Home of Barca Fans