Lionel Messi - v7

xxxxxx

Well , f*** him if he still wants 100 mil per season and sigining bonus.

Lewa is payed 20mil.

He is 34 years old.

His contract needs to be menaged.

It is fair for both. If not then offload him and bring Haaland

Laporta is going to offer him at least 500k a week, which is still too expensive. Not to mention, I think he'll demand a massive signing-on fee.... not sure how much it'll be, but it'll probably be more than 30m. Then.... we have to pay him his 33m loyalty bonus.

If Laporta has any intelligence, he'll be firm with Messi and tell him straight. He has to waive his loyalty fee and his signing-on fee. He also has to reduce his wages to like 300k a week. Messi can easily live off 300k a week. I will lose respect if he offers Messi 600k a week and a big signing-on fee. Not to mention, if he still pays Messi his 33m loyalty fee. If we were in a much better position financially, we could offer Messi 500k a week, a decent signing-on fee and his loyalty bonus. But offering Messi big wages, a big signing-on fee and his 33m loyalty fee could actually kill the club in the long run.

Laporta is in a win-win situation judging by that comment last night. Before the election he was so confident that Messi would so sign..... but now it's all down to Messi, and we can only offer him a realistic wage. Laporta can easily say he tried his best to make it work but Messi wanted too much money. He'll be made to look the good guy. If Messi agrees to a much-reduced salary, Laporta is the guy that resigned Messi.

I personally feel we should let Messi go and just focus on other players and the youth. Keeping Messi here is still too expensive for a club that's in as terrible debt as we are. Besides, he's 34 in the summer. I'm sure he'll still bang in the goals and play well in most of his matches, but he won't be able to put in top consistent performances due to his age.

JamDav1982

Laporta is going to offer him at least 500k a week, which is still too expensive. Not to mention, I think he'll demand a massive signing-on fee.... not sure how much it'll be, but it'll probably be more than 30m. Then.... we have to pay him his 33m loyalty bonus.

If Laporta has any intelligence, he'll be firm with Messi and tell him straight. He has to waive his loyalty fee and his signing-on fee. He also has to reduce his wages to like 300k a week. Messi can easily live off 300k a week. I will lose respect if he offers Messi 600k a week and a big signing-on fee. Not to mention, if he still pays Messi his 33m loyalty fee. If we were in a much better position financially, we could offer Messi 500k a week, a decent signing-on fee and his loyalty bonus. But offering Messi big wages, a big signing-on fee and his 33m loyalty fee could actually kill the club in the long run.

Laporta is in a win-win situation judging by that comment last night. Before the election he was so confident that Messi would so sign..... but now it's all down to Messi, and we can only offer him a realistic wage. Laporta can easily say he tried his best to make it work but Messi wanted too much money. He'll be made to look the good guy. If Messi agrees to a much-reduced salary, Laporta is the guy that resigned Messi.

I personally feel we should let Messi go and just focus on other players and the youth. Keeping Messi here is still too expensive for a club that's in as terrible debt as we are. Besides, he's 34 in the summer. I'm sure he'll still bang in the goals and play well in most of his matches, but he won't be able to put in top consistent performances due to his age.

You come across as desperate for Messi to go.

When discussing if he stays it is all about the financial burden but when discussing if City etc could afford him it is made out they get him for free due to money he generates.

Zebulun

yes tell messi to fuckoff. tell that fool who brings in over 300k worth of sponsorship money to the club to fuckoff, one of the reasons why tebas fought so hard to keep messi in la liga is due to the same reason, alot of tv deals and other sponsorships were signed due to messi being here but sure let him fuckoff. i'm sure people will offer the same deals to see starman coutinho and Fitness trainer griezmann :okay:

JamDav1982

yes tell messi to fuckoff. tell that fool who brings in over 300k worth of sponsorship money to the club to fuckoff, one of the reasons why tebas fought so hard to keep messi in la liga is due to the same reason, alot of tv deals and other sponsorships were signed due to messi being here but sure let him fuckoff. i'm sure people will offer the same deals to see starman coutinho and Fitness trainer griezmann :okay:

Messi doesnt bring 300m in revenue. If he did there would no question of finances when renewing him.

Some folk seem to pick and chose when to use that claim though such as the one you responded to.

Zebulun

Messi doesnt bring 300m in revenue. If he did there would no question of finances when renewing him.

Some folk seem to pick and chose when to use that claim though such as the one you responded to.

prove it? board members including other economists gave that figure. regardless of that, people like griezman and coutinho have ludicrous contracts and has both been complete failures.

JamDav1982

prove it? board members including other economists gave that figure. regardless of that, people like griezman and coutinho have ludicrous contracts and has both been complete failures.

Laporta words about Messi signing within financial constraints is proof enough. If he generated 300m it wouldnt even be an issue.

Same things were said about Ronaldo at Real and he left without much difference in revenue.

xxxxxx

You come across as desperate for Messi to go.

When discussing if he stays it is all about the financial burden but when discussing if City etc could afford him it is made out they get him for free due to money he generates.

I feel we can survive without Messi..... and keeping him here will just add to our debt. What happens if we struggle next season and Messi starts complaining again? Messi may be happy at the moment, but that can easily change if things are going wrong. He'll then be locked into another 4-year contract when he's 34..... where he's probably going to be on 600k a week. It's something we cannot afford to do. We'll then start saying the same thing we said last season, "we should have let him go last summer. We could have used that money for young players." Bartomeu should have released Messi last August. We would have been in a much better position this summer in regards to transfers and lowering out debt.

I care more about the club than an actual player. Messi has done amazing things for us, but he can't carry us like he used to. He needs actual good support around him. He's not going to get that support for a while. If he wants to stay and force a Champions League, then that's on him. But he can't say he didn't have a chance to leave this summer.

xxxxxx

Messi does not bring 300m worth of sponsorships a year. Only a fool would believe otherwise. Besides, I highly doubt he's bringing in that type of sponsorship money during COVID.

I'm just realistic here. I've been supporting the club before Messi was here. We had players like Maradona, Romario, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho..... and we've survived without those guys. We can easily survive without Messi. No player is bigger than a club.

I would rather we focus on the future now than locking a 34-year-old into another big contract.

xxxxxx

It's common sense that he doesn't generate that type of money.... and he wouldn't have due to COVID.

If Messi generated that type of money, we wouldn't be in this type of mess.

Zebulun

Messi does not bring 300m worth of sponsorships a year. Only a fool would believe otherwise. Besides, I highly doubt he's bringing in that type of sponsorship money during COVID.

I'm just realistic here. I've been supporting the club before Messi was here. We had players like Maradona, Romario, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho..... and we've survived without those guys. We can easily survive without Messi. No player is bigger than a club.

I would rather we focus on the future now than locking a 34-year-old into another big contract.

i get the essence of what you're saying to which i dont disagree. what i'm saying is, messi actually produces the goods, messi is "washed" and is our most consistent goalscorer and threat. coutinho and griezmann are on astronomical contracts and they aren't worth the trouble. dont forget we had to take a loan for griezmann and he's on 800k a week and does fuck all during matches but show his fitness levels. yes we should sit messi down and say here bud, all we have is x so you can only get y, i'm against the strong arming method especially with our greatest ever player. people like griezmann and coutinho are the ones to be told fuckoff.

xxxxxx

i get the essence of what you're saying to which i dont disagree. what i'm saying is, messi actually produces the goods, messi is "washed" and is our most consistent goalscorer and threat. coutinho and griezmann are on astronomical contracts and they aren't worth the trouble. dont forget we had to take a loan for griezmann and he's on 800k a week and does fuck all during matches but show his fitness levels. yes we should sit messi down and say here bud, all we have is x so you can only get y, i'm against the strong arming method especially with our greatest ever player. people like griezmann and coutinho are the ones to be told fuckoff.

The problem is.... Laporta is making out that Messi is still the future of the club. It seems he's going to do everything he can to keep him here. If that means making Messi the highest earner, then so be it. It's very risky offering a 34-year-old a big contract like that. I get he needs to try and keep Messi here, but you need to be realistic and not give Messi everything he wants.

Laporta is stating that he wants to re-adjust the salaries that were made back in November, so it'll be interesting if that also will involves Messi. If he re-adjusts the wages and asks the other players to take a lower wage..... but still makes Messi the highest earner at the club, then there's a big problem.

Even with Messi's potential wage drop, he's still going to be getting a lot. Then there's the signing-on fee.... and then his 33m loyalty fee. It's a lot of money to pay to a 34-year-old who might not give a crap if we're struggling next season. Then we won't be able to sell him. He'll be locked into a 200m contract over 4 years.(I'm assuming he'll get 50m a year with the bonuses.) We could use that money to start investing in our future and start by bringing in younger players. We eventually have to live without Messi.

Zebulun

The problem is.... Laporta is making out that Messi is still the future of the club. It seems he's going to do everything he can to keep him here. If that means making Messi the highest earner, then so be it. It's very risky offering a 34-year-old a big contract like that. I get he needs to try and keep Messi here, but you need to be realistic and not give Messi everything he wants.

Laporta is stating that he wants to re-adjust the salaries that were made back in November, so it'll be interesting if that also will involves Messi. If he re-adjusts the wages and asks the other players to take a lower wage..... but still makes Messi the highest earner at the club, then there's a big problem.

Even with Messi's potential wage drop, he's still going to be getting a lot. Then there's the signing-on fee.... and then his 33m loyalty fee. It's a lot of money to pay to a 34-year-old who might not give a crap if we're struggling next season. Then we won't be able to sell him. He'll be locked into a 200m contract over 4 years.(I'm assuming he'll get 50m a year with the bonuses.) We could use that money to start investing in our future and start by bringing in younger players. We eventually have to live without Messi.

very sensible comment, but not just messi, bartomeu locked up alba, pique, lenglet and griezman with long term deals all with salary increases, i have no fucking clue how laporta's gonna fix that.

xxxxxx

very sensible comment, but not just messi, bartomeu locked up alba, pique, lenglet and griezman with long term deals all with salary increases, i have no fucking clue how laporta's gonna fix that.

Laporta will do the same thing with Barcelona DNA-type players. Don't think he won't. He's already claimed that Pique is the best defender in the world and that Busquets is still world-class. I guess he'll try and get the likes of Coutinho, Griezmann and Umtiti out of the club. The problem is.... who would want them? And why would they want to leave if they're on those types of salaries? It's going to be much tougher to get rid of certain players. I honestly don't think many will leave this summer.

I just have major doubts about Laporta in any case. He left us in even worse debt. Was only 150m when he took over.... then went to 450m euros when he left.. I'm pretty certain the wage bill skyrocketed a lot when he left. He didn't really increase our revenue stream as Rosell and Bartomeu did. Laporta increased it by 200m euros (was 200m euros and then 400m euros when he left)..... Rosell and Bartomeu actually increased it by 600m euros. (was 400m euros when Rosell took over and it was 1 billion when Bartomeu was here). He had a terrible season in 2008 and was close to being kicked out. He's had problems in the past with certain board members when things are not going his way. Not saying he didn't do a good job, because he obviously had a lot of success. Just saying, he isn't this savior that people are making him out to be.

I just have no clue how Laporta is going to do when he has no money and doesn't have the likes of a younger Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Valdes, Pique, Busquets, Pedro. The market is totally different now. There's massive inflation. He's been out for a long time. He didn't have to deal with the FFP and COVID restrictions. He's got way more debt to deal with now. He has to pay the banks 266m by June. I honestly think he doesn't know what he's got himself in for. It's not a gamble to him. If he fails, he can claim the debt was too much and it's an impossible situation to fix. His past glory will maintain that he's always liked at the club.

Arturo

Laporta will do the same thing with Barcelona DNA-type players. Don't think he won't. He's already claimed that Pique is the best defender in the world and that Busquets is still world-class. I guess he'll try and get the likes of Coutinho, Griezmann and Umtiti out of the club. The problem is.... who would want them? And why would they want to leave if they're on those types of salaries? It's going to be much tougher to get rid of certain players. I honestly don't think many will leave this summer.

I just have major doubts about Laporta in any case. He left us in even worse debt. Was only 150m when he took over.... then went to 450m euros when he left.. I'm pretty certain the wage bill skyrocketed a lot when he left. He didn't really increase our revenue stream as Rosell and Bartomeu did. Laporta increased it by 200m euros (was 200m euros and then 400m euros when he left)..... Rosell and Bartomeu actually increased it by 600m euros. (was 400m euros when Rosell took over and it was 1 billion when Bartomeu was here). He had a terrible season in 2008 and was close to being kicked out. He's had problems in the past with certain board members when things are not going his way. Not saying he didn't do a good job, because he obviously had a lot of success. Just saying, he isn't this savior that people are making him out to be.

I just have no clue how Laporta is going to do when he has no money and doesn't have the likes of a younger Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Valdes, Pique, Busquets, Pedro. The market is totally different now. There's massive inflation. He's been out for a long time. He didn't have to deal with the FFP and COVID restrictions. He's got way more debt to deal with now. He has to pay the banks 266m by June. I honestly think he doesn't know what he's got himself in for. It's not a gamble to him. If he fails, he can claim the debt was too much and it's an impossible situation to fix. His past glory will maintain that he's always liked at the club.

You say let Messi go and bring in new players (spend money) - We already spent a lot of money (coutino, Dembele, griezman, boateng, Andre Gomez(man did he sucked)), the only good buys were Umtiti (for like 2 seasons), Neymar, Arthur, Suarez, and De Young. Buying new players usually doesn't work (they usuallly suck) and then we count the days for their contract to end - nobody wants them. None of them came in for free (somewhere around 700 million), plus their salaries.
And you want Messi to sign for FREE.
Nobody comes to Barca for Free
You say Rosell/Bartomeu brought in all that money - Nope, Messi brought all that Money. Barcelona grew globaly with Messi leading the way. Messi is the one responsible for all those league and champions titles, all the full stadiums when Barcelona goes on tour. Barcelona televised games around the world generates money for the club.

Sure we can have a team with good young players and finish top 5 (maybe), but not first. We will be missing the 1-2 players to get us to the top. As of now Messi is our best player by a lot and he alone wins us at least 10 games by himself (in other words play a replacement and we will win 10 games less), yes occasionally we will win some games but in the long run.
Do you think Real Madrid will just wait for us to get good again?

Home of Barca Fans