Lionel Messi - v7

malvolio

well, i absolutely disagree that hes still the best player around, but lets put that aside for the moment.

this is an odd year because unless messi wins the copa and performs well against at least or ideally both uruguay or brazil en route, there is no clear, head and shoulders-above-the-rest best player atm. messi was out in the CL R16 and didnt win the league; haaland similar; mbappe similar and had a bad Euro; lewa won the league and did really well but didnt come close to CL and had a meh euro; CR lost the league too but had an ok (not great) euro...; kante didnt win the league and is out of euro though i thought he was the best CL player this year...

messi taking the copa would definitely put him ahead. if he doesnt, who knows

Aside from Lewandowski(who is a legendary striker), those other bums are not even worth mentioning. Lewandowski on the other hand stat pads in a league that is dominated by his team.

Who do you recon would be better than Messi right now?

BarcaOG

Banned
Aside from Lewandowski(who is a legendary striker), those other bums are not even worth mentioning. Lewandowski on the other hand stat pads in a league that is dominated by his team.

Who do you recon would be better than Messi right now?

kante a bum? he singlehandedly eliminated Real and shut down city for chelsea in the champiosn league.

(this is not an indication of who should win the bdor this year) but right now i would happily take any of haaland or mbappe over messi. you seriously think messi can win another Cl with barca? i dont need to rehearse the evidence from the last few years and you already know where i stand on this. on the other hand, haaland and mbappe have their best years ahead.

malvolio

kante a bum? he singlehandedly eliminated Real and shut down city for chelsea in the champiosn league.

(this is not an indication of who should win the bdor this year) but right now i would happily take any of haaland or mbappe over messi. you seriously think messi can win another Cl with barca? i dont need to rehearse the evidence from the last few years and you already know where i stand on this. on the other hand, haaland and mbappe have their best years ahead.

so just some overblown ranting about a water carrier like kante "singlehandedly" eliminating real madrid. and that you would happily take two young players that either had an unspectacular season or don't even play at an elite level yet.

discussion is about right now, not what you imagine would happen in the future. and by the way, haaland and mbappe could very well not reach messi's or ronaldo's level ever.

for me it' pretty clear that the only one having some credentials to win it is lewa. but i still don't rate him as a better player than messi, even now.

HanDW

Kante wasnt even Chelsea best midfielder across the season (Mason Mount was), he didnt make the Premier League TOTY neither the list for the PFA POTY and he was totally anonymous in this Euro being outperformed by Pogba by a country mile.

Him getting BdO shouts is everything that is wrong with the award nowadays (whoever has a good KO stages run in the UCL wins), just because he performed good in 3 matches doesnt mean he should be given the award.

ebc_99

Messi is absolutely the best player in the world right now, has been all year. Mbappe and Haaland are not on his level, they score goals but their all-round game is miles from Messi. Lewandowski has been fantastic and I wish they had given it to him last year, but for 2021 Messi deserves it on the evidence up to now.

If Argentina win the Copa then it is game over and Messi will take his 7th, otherwise it is between him and Lewandowski, and I think people will want to make amends for last year and give to the Pole, which I would have no problem with.

Last edited:

BarcaOG

Banned
so just some overblown ranting about a water carrier like kante "singlehandedly" eliminating real madrid. and that you would happily take two young players that either had an unspectacular season or don't even play at an elite level yet.

discussion is about right now, not what you imagine would happen in the future. and by the way, haaland and mbappe could very well not reach messi's or ronaldo's level ever.

for me it' pretty clear that the only one having some credentials to win it is lewa. but i still don't rate him as a better player than messi, even now.

if you cant see just how good and important a player Kante is for his team, and how lucky we (and messi) would be to have him at barca instead of immobile busquets, thats on you, not me.

yes, i absolutely would take either haaland or mbappe over messi right now. and any team would do so too. mbappe embarrassed messi by scoring a hattrick in the Camp Nou this year as barca was eliminated in R16. why do you think real wants mbappe so bad? haaland also has more goals at his age in the CL than either messi or CR. so yep, absolutely, i would happily take him.

2) lol, nowhere did i claim that either mbappe or haaland will/would reach messis (or CR's) level. they will not. but this version of messi (since, as you say, we are talking about right now, and not the future, or the past, as if it was still 2011-2015) is nowhere near his previous heights. so again: yep, happy to take 21 y/o mbappe and 20 y/o haaland over a 34 year old messi that hasnt scored against real in 7 straight games and failed to win even the league for 2 straight years. no brainer.

BarcaOG

Banned
Messi is absolutely the best player in the world right now, has been all year. Mbappe and Haaland are not on his level, they score goals but their all-round game is miles from Messi. Lewandowski has been fantastic and I wish they had given it to him last year, but for 2021 Messi deserves it on the evidence up to now.

If Argentina win the Copa then it is game over and Messi will take his 7th, otherwise it is between him and Lewandowski, and I think people will want to make amends for last year and give to the Pole, which I would have no problem with.

:lol: :lol: so good mbappe scored 3 in the camp nou; so good real madrid beat barcelona home and away with messi not doing anything; so good that in 4 matches against atleti and real this season messi's barca earned like 2 points and couldnt even win the league when we had it in our hands

the delusion is unreal. its just as ignorant as those who think CR, too, is still the best, just because he was top scorer in italy or whatever

wake up. its not 2013. messi cant decides matches/fixtures for barca anymore, and hasnt for like 6 years now

malvolio

Not that clear cut for me imo. Yes his overall play and stats have been brilliant (minus those first 2/3 months) , but he was mostly a no show against Atletico and Real and didn't score nor assist in those 4 games and those are pretty much the 4 toughest games Barca have in LL. While he was great in the second tie against PSG he did miss that pen that might have turned the tie. Currently Id rather give it to Benzema imo.

jesus wept :lol: you have to be trolling

CatalinR10

if you cant see just how good and important a player Kante is for his team, and how lucky we (and messi) would be to have him at barca instead of immobile busquets, thats on you, not me.

kante is an amazing player and I would have liked him in our team , have beeing simping for him for some years now . Would have gladly paid even 100 mil for him a few years ago.

yes, i absolutely would take either haaland or mbappe over messi right now. and any team would do so too. mbappe embarrassed messi by scoring a hattrick in the Camp Nou this year as barca was eliminated in R16. why do you think real wants mbappe so bad? haaland also has more goals at his age in the CL than either messi or CR. so yep, absolutely, i would happily take him.

Exchange Mbapee or Halaand with Messi while having the same team won't change things. What do you think either Mbapee and Haaland would do against parked busses with a joke of a deffence and Griezmann + Dumbelle next to them ? They wouldn't do shit. They both need space to have impact , not to mention other world class players around them. Messi for Mbappe/ Haaland + another world class midfielder and deffence sorted , yes but other than that , they wouldn't do much better , they would actually get exposed really hard.

:lol: :lol: so good mbappe scored 3 in the camp nou; so good real madrid beat barcelona home and away with messi not doing anything; so good that in 4 matches against atleti and real this season messi's barca earned like 2 points and couldnt even win the league when we had it in our hands

Fair enough , let's see Messi play vs a deffence made of Pique + Lenglet + Busquets and see what will happen.

You make fun of Messi not winning the league vs teams like Real Madrid + Atletico Madrid while Mbapee legit lost a farmers league to fucking Lille. Lille dude LMAO.

And in the same time Halland was shaking untill last 3 games that Dortmund won't even catch the CL next season.

wake up. its not 2013. messi cant decides matches/fixtures for barca anymore, and hasnt for like 6 years now

Messi can't decide matches while being man of the match 25 times out of the 34 games this year. Won't even talk about last 6 years.

2 years ago Messi decided the fixture against Lyon , then against Manchester and first game against Liverpool. You're starting to spew the same false shit like you do all the time in Messi's thread.

Only thing I agree with is that he should have scored more against RM or Atletico in the past years even though he had some good games against them even without scoring, other than that he's been great.

BarcaOG

Banned
kante is an amazing player and I would have liked him in our team , have beeing simping for him for some years now . Would have gladly paid even 100 mil for him a few years ago.

Exchange Mbapee or Halaand with Messi while having the same team won't change things. What do you think either Mbapee and Haaland would do against parked busses with a joke of a deffence and Griezmann + Dumbelle next to them ? They wouldn't do shit. They both need space to have impact , not to mention other world class players around them. Messi for Mbappe/ Haaland + another world class midfielder and deffence sorted , yes but other than that , they wouldn't do much better , they would actually get exposed really hard.

Fair enough , let's see Messi play vs a deffence made of Pique + Lenglet + Busquets and see what will happen.

You make fun of Messi not winning the league vs teams like Real Madrid + Atletico Madrid while Mbapee legit lost a farmers league to fucking Lille. Lille dude LMAO.

And in the same time Halland was shaking untill last 3 games that Dortmund won't even catch the CL next season.

Messi can't decide matches while being man of the match 25 times out of the 34 games this year. Won't even talk about last 6 years.

2 years ago Messi decided the fixture against Lyon , then against Manchester and first game against Liverpool. You're starting to spew the same false shit like you do all the time in Messi's thread.

Only thing I agree with is that he should have scored more against RM or Atletico in the past years even though he had some good games against them even without scoring, other than that he's been great.

you make some good points here that i dont want to belabor. but i really cant see how you can say, at the end, that messis been all the caveats notwithstanding, 'great', considering we are 2 years without a league and 6 and counting without a CL. not to mention how many humiliations we have endured in that time in the CL, in which messi has played every single minute.

Rassvet

Ronaldo out of the euros, Messi favorite for the ballon d’or, and still no hint of this supposedly imminent contract renewal.

Things are looking good for us right now

Nazario1985

you make some good points here that i dont want to belabor. but i really cant see how you can say, at the end, that messis been all the caveats notwithstanding, 'great', considering we are 2 years without a league and 6 and counting without a CL. not to mention how many humiliations we have endured in that time in the CL, in which messi has played every single minute.

Because he watched the games, and know that even being their is mostly due to Messi.

Liverpool remontada would have been just a stamping without Messi in the first leg.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

Ronaldo out of the euros, Messi favorite for the ballon d’or, and still no hint of this supposedly imminent contract renewal.

Things are looking good for us right now

Let's close the deal on the Copa this time around...I think with that weight lifted off his shoulders, it could prompt him to be great for another 2-3 years.

Home of Barca Fans