Lionel Messi - v7

raskolnikov

Yeah, whatever. If we can't expect anything from the 'worlds best' then that descriptor is literally meaningless, of no account, inconsequential.

You can't idolize individual players on one hand and scream TEAM SPORT on the other.

Cool story, go join Bayernforum then to support Lewa or whoever plays for the strongest team that year.

KingLeo10

Where was Mbappe when United academy kids embarrassed him AT HOME.

Where was he v RM in 17/18.

Where was he the whole KO stages of 19/20. And he bottled a golden chance in the final to boot.

Stop with the histrionics, unless you want to get equally histrionic points in return.

Joan

Slightly offtopic, but I've always found claims like "if x does y, then he's the best" funny.

Football is a collective sport, it's not like saying if Spassky loses against Bobby, then Bobby's the best.

ebc_99

Messi has been fantastic this year so far and has had a better season than Mbappe overall imo, and has more than one role on the team as opposed to Lewandowski who is mainly just a finisher and that in a much stronger team. All 3 are fantastic but I think if you put those 2 in this Barca side we would be in much bigger trouble than we are with Messi.

This is a team sport with 22 players on the pitch and it is hard for 1 man to make the difference if his teammates aren't up to the job, and it is much easier to stop Barca if Messi is the only threat.

BarcaOG

Banned
Clearly you don't understand my claim.

My claim is not LEWA is the best in the world, or even among the world's best (though I do think he is). My claim is simply that right now, in February 2021, Messi is decidedly not the best player in the world, and that Lewa, right now, is better (that is, more decisive) than Messi.

I'm not making ANY claims about previous years. Nor am I claiming that Lewa has been better than Messi for the last 10 years or anything like that, which of course he has not been--though I'd make the case that at least since 2019, which was, IMO, Messi's last 'great' year, Lewa has been better.

My issue, more generally, is this: most of you are very quick to jump the gun calling Messi THE WORLD's BEST and the GOAT. I think those are big claims that must be justifiable. At the very least, being the best must mean being decisive in high-profile matches. You may not win all the trophies, or score in every game, but there should be a clear and demonstrable pattern of excellence. In football, that usually involves (though it may not require) a) team titles, b) individual awards, and c) impressive statistics, in that order.

Messi has not won a league title in two years nor a Champions League in 6 (and only 2 in 10 years). He has not scored against Real Madrid (which he did for fun when he was younger) since like 2017. His goal scoring record in the CL KOs is (for someone reputed the 'world's best'/the GOAT) less than stellar in recent years. He has been on the pitch in consecutive CL humiliations for almost half a decade now.

You can only lose so much before your status as the world's best or the GOAT begins to look ridiculous. That has to mean something. Scoring against midtable teams but failing to be decisive against Real/Atleti/European teams--that ain't it.

I too would like to repeatedly fail at something and yet be called the BEST at it. That would be pretty sweet.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Messi picked up form at the end of November and has been largely fantastic since with the exception of an odd game. He had been abysmal before that, however. He is not at fault against PSG as the tactics were wrong and the mentality was terrible from all the players. Football is a team sport. We don't know whether he stays, but if he can keep up his current level (let's assume his June-November form was due to the desire to leave), he is more of an asset to this team rather than a drawback and should stay. The transition is already happening with Messi in the team. However, we should also consider the financial aspect... if Laporta decides to gift Messi another mega-contract, it hurts us more in the long-run than it benefits us.

KingLeo10

"Only 2 CLs in 10 years".

SAF won 2 CLs in 26 years as a manager and he's unanimously considered one of the top 3 club managers ever, if not numero uno.

You need to reevaluate your priorities in life if supporting a team/player when they're not serial winners makes you this irate.

BarcaOG

Banned
"Only 2 CLs in 10 years".

SAF won 2 CLs in 26 years as a manager and he's unanimously considered one of the top 3 club managers ever, if not numero uno.

You need to reevaluate your priorities in life if supporting a team/player when they're not serial winners makes you this irate.

I'm not irate, lol, I'm only a realist. Barca has become a meme club in Europe: everyone wants to play us so they can smash us. Only deluded Barca fans who can't see the writing on the wall can convince themselves that despite failing repeatedly Messi is somehow still the best.

That's what you call a loser mentality. But we'll just agree to disagree: you continue apologizing for failure, Barca will continue losing, Messi will continue to be absent when it matters. Great stuff dude.

Cerberus

I have not been on this forum for a long time. I see there still are a couple of older posters here, but most of them seem to have disappeared, sadly.

As for Messi - if he's a loser just because of a few bad years then so are most athletes in the World.

LeBron James went several years without winning. Michael Jordan had to wait a long time for his first ring and lost a lot of playoff games meanwhile. Tom Brady went a lot of years without winning the Super Bowl with people starting to write him off. Cristiano Ronaldo went to Juventus who have done worse with him in the Champions League than they did prior to his arrival.

Messi can do better and should have done better in multiple big games last 2-3 years, but the reason his legacy will live on forever in Barcelona and the World is because of all the big moments and trophies he's proven himself to be the best in, and helped his team win in significant fashion.

If a few bad years brings out these kind of insults and distorted views of his contribution to Barcelona for 10+ years then don't let the door hit you on the way out. Find a new team or player to root for.

soul24rage

Looks like Messi has 4 yellow cards so far, I'm really hoping he gets a yellow vs Osasuna away so that he can miss the Huesca at home match.

Edit: or even gets a yellow against Real Sociedad away so that he misses the Valladolid home match after he plays the WCQ matches vs Uruguay and Brazil

Last edited:

malvolio

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="es" dir="ltr">Leonardo Paredes vs Barcelona <a href="https://t.co/xkRLlg3HyD">pic.twitter.com/xkRLlg3HyD</a></p>— ‏ً (@OFComps) <a href="https://twitter.com/OFComps/status/1361826947052040194?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 16, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Farmer Paredes dominated our midfield at Camp Nou FFS. And we're still debating whether it was Leo's fault we lost or not

Kul_z

meh. we'll see by april how decisive messi is in the CL vs lewa. youll be eating your words, again

A total idiotic comparison. Its like comparing de jong to davies or mueller to busquets.
Put suarez in that bayern team and you would see a world beater yet again

pregra

If I could pick any player in the world for a decisive CL match right now (and in the past 4 or so years), I'm not picking Messi. No way. I'd gladly take Lewa.
Imagine Lewa dropping deep to get on the ball. hahaha. If he played like he does for Bayern he would look slightly better than Braithwaite.

pregra

Messi will continue to be absent when it matters. Great stuff dude.
Against the absolute best teams, of course he will. The only thing the other team has to do is crowd up on Messi and the game is won. Replace Messi with any single player in history, even prime Maradona, and the outcome wouldn't be any different; the team is just too ordinary/shite.

Home of Barca Fans