Philippe Coutinho

Messi983

He will never work for us but might work for Leicester. He did okay with Bayern.

I don't think 17 mil would be necessarily bad deal for them.

Transfer fee is not problematic, his wages are.

I'm sure there are some (midtable) EPL clubs who would pay even 25-30m for him just based on his name and him doing previously well for Liverpool so they would believe a change of scenery would work well for him but

a.) none of them want to pay him even close to what he's earning now (and he won't accept less, why would he?) and

b.) he would reject going there as he still thinks he deserves to play for a CL team (and those are very unlikely being interested in him)

khaled_a_d

a.) none of them want to pay him even close to what he's earning now (and he won't accept less, why would he?) and

b.) he would reject going there as he still thinks he deserves to play for a CL team (and those are very unlikely being interested in him)

a) That will 2 reason to i) ask for less than 25M price, in order to indirectly pay difference in wage. ii) him aiming for more years. Easy to accept lower wage if you get more years.

b)I thik a team with CL aspirations will be preferable for Coutinho, he knows he is injured with no future outside EPL anymore (failed in Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga)
Sure, he can turn down Leicester if he has offer from Liverpool, but I doubt he prefers Barca bench over a starting place there.
Not like either are winning anything meaningful next season

Messi983

a) That will 2 reason to i) ask for less than 25M price, in order to indirectly pay difference in wage. ii) him aiming for more years. Easy to accept lower wage if you get more years.

b)I thik a team with CL aspirations will be preferable for Coutinho, he knows he is injured with no future outside EPL anymore (failed in Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga)
Sure, he can turn down Leicester if he has offer from Liverpool, but I doubt he prefers Barca bench over a starting place there.
Not like either are winning anything meaningful next season

I don't disagree but still think from the other club (let's say Leicester) perspective it would make more sense to insist on a loan with buy option with Barca covering part of Coutinho's wages. Why would they risk investing any serious money in him when they don't know if he'll actually be fit to play and how he'd do. They also know we're desperately trying to offload him so we have no leverage in negotiations.

And while players usually prefer longterm security I don't think Coutinho would be against staying on his current wages for one more season (with Barca and another club each paying half for example) before potentially accepting pay cut to join another team permanently next season. It could backfire if he'll have a poor season on loan and nobody will want to take him but then alternatively he could always stay here earning big money until his contract expires and go to MLS, China or Qatar in 2023 if no top European club will want him. Although I'm sure there would be clubs like Juve (who love free agent signings) and PSG (he's a Brazilian after alll) interested if he'd be a free agent. In an alternate universe if Barca would never buy him and his contract would expire now or next year I'm sure we'd consider signing him too.

I think in the end it all depends on if he still has any sporting ambitions in his career. If he does then we'll probably succeed moving on from him one way or another this summer.

Rassvet

and people here thought we could afford Haaland this summer :lol: :lol: We're broke and nobody wants our deadwood. Sporting project my arse

behindbrowneyes

I wouldn't give up yet as the market activity is very low at the moment, which is normal when there is a big tournament in Europe. Copa America is taking place too.

Might be a different year due to the economic consequences of Covid though, but sometimes all it takes is one big transfer to speed things up. James wanting to leave Everton might be a chance for Barca, for instance.

Rory

Can't think what this version of Coutinho could even bring to any decent team. I mention decent team because he's unlikely to want to go anywhere outside of the ucl. I think he should go for a team in italy where the slower pace of the league would suit him.

Home of Barca Fans